Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney purchases Lucasfilms in the News & Rumors forums; Huge following? Avatar raked in nearly $3bil. Seems you'd need a fairly good size following to pull in that kind of money....
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Disney purchases Lucasfilms

Huge following?

Seems you'd need a fairly good size following to pull in that kind of money.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Well, I don't see Avatar Weekends happening anywhere in the world. I also stand by my previous statement that Avatar is yet to be a successful franchise. It is a successful film.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Well, I don't see Avatar Weekends happening anywhere in the world. I also stand by my previous statement that Avatar is yet to be a successful franchise. It is a successful film.
    I tend to agree. Just because a single film does well in the box office doesn't mean it will continue to lauded over others for decades to come. HP is already proving to have a cult like following through many generations and several films, HP, the new generation following is very similar to Star Wars followers. That doesn't happen frequently.

Jaws is a great example. It did as well as Avatar if box office receipts are adjusted for inflation. Yet as popular as Jaws was, it didn't stand the test of time like Star Wars.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    You're still missing the point. Either you can base an entire land on a movie franchise, or you can't.

Carsland says you can. It wasn't the most popular Pixar movie, AND it had an awful sequel.

And the bottom line here is WDW needs a whole lot of TLC in other areas long before they even start to blue sky for a Star Wars expansion in the parks.

Firstly... we are looking at this as if there has never been internal discussion on this very topic before... I'm not guaranteeing that it did, but I would suspect that Imagineers have been down this road before, especially considering the much rumored cantina possibly replacing Backlot Express... Secondly, my discussion on revenue was not just about money made from movie tickets alone... think about the amount of toys, t-shirts, costumes, memorabilia, dvds, ticket sales and others... that is the revenue I am referring to... this is not Titanic... no one wears a Titanic t-shirt... but they sure have one with Darth Vader and Yoda...

Adjusted for inflation...

Titanic $1,086,505,300

Star Wars $1,428,519,200
    Empire 787,408,700
    Jedi 754,356,500

And thats just the first three films, adjusted to inflation so obviously those aren't the official numbers but at least we have a comparison...
    Last edited by JNota0005DakMC; 11-06-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Carsland says you can. It wasn't the most popular Pixar movie, AND it had an awful sequel.
    And what's crazy is that no matter how bad II was and how lackluster I performed, Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater are two of Disney's top selling merchandise characters.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    And what's crazy is that no matter how bad II was and how lackluster I performed, Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater are two of Disney's top selling merchandise characters.
    Yes. The popularity of those characters screams, to me, that Cars is a very compelling world with wonderful inhabitants but Pixar either told the wrong story or just dropped the ball all together.

Some characters and movies are just more marketable while others just fizzle and go away. The Rocky films were very popular and yet little bonding whereas HP and Cars fans quickly bonded with. I've yet to comprehend the bond fans have with Duffy.

Clearly Cars, HP and the Duff have bonding and great marketability with their fans as does Star Wars, I'm just not seeing that residual hype, bonding and marketing resulting from Avatar. Mattel has had rights to market Cars, HP, Star Wars and Avatar. Avatar toys are on clearance on the web and not carried in many box stores whereas the market has yet to slip for the others.

It isn't just movies, you look at the history of TV shows. If you look at some of the very popular TV shows that are in syndication, some continue to have a loyal following where others despite their original popularity just fizzle in syndication in spite of how much money the shows garnered in their original runs.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Same way I don't want to see Avatar in Animal Kingdom (it makes Disney appear desperate to figure out what to do with their little half-day zoo park that people aren't visiting), I would hate to see them build Star Wars into that park, either. Non-Disney created properties belong over at DHS.
    Then Disney needs to start movin' everything Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, etc. over there.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I don't see why they have to do anything else in the parks with this particular property.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

Bwana Blog!

Thats my thought

I dont really want avatarland. It did huge numbers because of a gimmick
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

I don't see why they have to do anything else in the parks with this particular property.
    Pure speculation on my part, Disney might want to capitalize on their mega investment. Selfishly I am not and have never been a Star Wars movie fan so if they do at DHS fine, if they don't I won't be sad.

I wonder as far as park visitors go, how many guests are mega Star Wars fans? Sometimes I think Disney really misses when they move forward believing they know what guests crave. This poll is not likely what Disney was thinking for 2012:

What are you most looking forward to opening in 2012?

Storybook Circus 3 vote(s) 0.6%
    Be our Guest Restaurant 106 vote(s) 22.0%
    Ariel's Adventure 106 vote(s) 22.0%
    Enchanted Tales with Belle 10 vote(s) 2.1%
    Splitsville 7 vote(s) 1.5%
    Disney's Art of Animation Resort 26 vote(s) 5.4%
    Test Track 2.0 218 vote(s) 45.2%
    Agent P's World Showcase Adventure 6 vote(s) 1.2%

Did Disney really think that guests would be far more excited about Test Track being refurbished would draw far more interest than anything in the new and expensive FLE? Likely they could stop expanding and fix the neglected and guests would be happy.
    Exception being AK, they still don't know what they want that zoo to be.

Huge following?

Seems you'd need a fairly good size following to pull in that kind of money.
    Inflated ticket prices due to the 3D hype certainly helped those numbers. I think that the visuals were more the draw here over Cameron's Bush-bash. That year, there were more Avatar costumes around than there probably needed to be. If you saw someone show up at a Halloween party last week in blue body paint, you'd have to hit them, even if they were a huge fan of the movie. But yeah, I'm sure overall there must be Avatar-ites, or whatever you'd call them, out there. The average movie goer was not seeing that film four times.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    Then Disney needs to start movin' everything Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, etc. over there.
    Anything is better than nothing at this point, and nothing is half of what they're offering us now at that half-day park. The most popular stage show they have there is the Lion King. So if they concentrate on their jungle-themed shows... no, wait. They took Tarzan and gave him a guitar. Scratch that. They did try Pocahontas, though that movie made about $7.50 at the theater. They have Nemo going, which at least seems to have some legs, which is impressive being that not a single character has legs. It's Tough to Be a Bug has an awfully long queue (second only to Kahli River Rapids?) for an attraction that doesn't need one.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Anything is better than nothing at this point, and nothing is half of what they're offering us now at that half-day park. The most popular stage show they have there is the Lion King. So if they concentrate on their jungle-themed shows... no, wait. They took Tarzan and gave him a guitar. Scratch that. They did try Pocahontas, though that movie made about $7.50 at the theater. They have Nemo going, which at least seems to have some legs, which is impressive being that not a single character has legs. It's Tough to Be a Bug has an awfully long queue (second only to Kahli River Rapids?) for an attraction that doesn't need one.
    Something needs to be done in AK... Without some expansion (Avatar themed or otherwise) the park will lose any growth that it may have gained attendance wise in the past few years...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Tough to be a Bug did have long waits the first few years as did Kali, yet interest in both dwindled after a few years. Kali needs a People dryer they have at other theme parks for a very similar attraction. Few guests want to be that squishy wet even if it is hot. Instead they installed free lockers. I have a picture of my kids years ago on that attraction on a sunny day in their Rain Ponchos.

I don't understand why Disney doesn't just shorten the queues, especially with the Tree of Life issues and all the jungle netting above guests heads.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast