Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Another death in Walt Disney World??? in the News & Rumors forums; With all the warnings that Disney puts up on their rides, I really wish people would take them seriously. And the media always puts Disney in the headline to get ...
    GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    With all the warnings that Disney puts up on their rides, I really wish people would take them seriously. And the media always puts Disney in the headline to get us to read it. So many people out there that are anti-Disney (AGH, sacriledge), but they get off on the negative press.

I had the same reaction in response to hearing about the little boy on Mission Space. Are our kids growing up so quickly now, that we think nothing of putting them on that intense of a ride?

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. I couldn't imagine spending all that $$ on a nice family vacation and having something like this happen.

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    This is so terrible. I hate that this has happened - not to mention so frequently this year for Disney! If the girl had some type of brain problem that -like many of you said- was "hidden" she could have had that for another 10 years before ever knowing it was there. What's the answer? Everyone go get a brain/heart/lung/blood/skin test before going anywhere? Probably not... I do hope that she pulls through her surgery & will be ok again. I know when I was 16, I would have ridden & not thought twice about it. Who gets in line for a ride & backs out thinking, "I may have a heart problem I've never had any trouble with until now?"

Prayers & Good thoughts to her & her family!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Is it just me, or does it seem like these kind of incidents are on the rise, or is the media just reporting on it more?
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    Is it just me, or does it seem like these kind of incidents are on the rise, or is the media just reporting on it more?
    I think the media is reporting more and sensationalizing (is that a word?) more.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Has anybody in Florida heard an update on her condition this morning?
    They call me "Nana"

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    The girl is still in critical condition at Florida Hospital. I will watch the 5pm Orlando news today and see if they give an update.
    The ride has been reopened and Disney stated that lines where long.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    With the 50th celebration and the Magic Your Way, you most likely have a lot more people going that have never been before or even more people going in general. With an increase in people, you are going to have an increase in issues.

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    There are specific rides that I will not ride due to pre-exsiting conditions and the same goes for my son because of seizures. I also wish that people would take the "WARNINGS!!!" more to heart. Maybe all of this has happened so others will be quicker to think... "maybe I shouldn't ride this...".
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Disney reopens Tower of Terror after girl's collapse
    --------------------

By Jerry W. Jackson
    Sentinel Staff Writer

July 13, 2005, 1:42 PM EDT

Walt Disney World reopened the Tower of Terror ride at Disney-MGM Studios this morning, one day after a British teenager suffered cardiac arrest following a visit to the attraction.

Disney said engineers and ride system experts completed an inspection overnight, under monitoring by an inspector from the Florida Department of Agriculture Bureau of Fair Rides and Exhibitions and found it to be operating properly.

In addition, Disney said in a statement, The Orange County Sheriff's Office also reviewed the incident and found no indication of a ride malfunction.

The teenager, Leanne Deacon, 16, remains in critical condition at Florida Hospital Orlando today.

Deacon exited the thrill ride at 9:50 a.m. yesterday, shaking and light-headed, and soon lost consciousness. By the time she arrived in an ambulance at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, her heart had stopped beating, Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said.

The thrill ride is among the most popular at Disney MGM-Studios and by 10 a.m. the wait time was up to 60 minutes, longer than any other ride at the park, according to a poster-board at the park listing wait times.

Disney employees said the one-hour wait is fairly typical for this time of year for the ride, which simulates a runaway hotel elevator, shooting to the top of the tower and plunging down a shaft up to 13 stories.

Most people standing in line or just exiting the ride said they had not heard about the British teen's trip to the hospital after riding the attraction yesterday. But most said they had no real fears about the ride and considered the traffic and Central Florida's midsummer heat to be greater concerns.

"It's awesome. I would ride it again," said Derenda Davilla, a chaperone for a Lubbock, Texas, church group. Davilla had heard about yesterday's incident.

"It's not too scary. It's a fun ride," said Nick Watts, 41, another chaperone. The group of 13 included teens from 13 to 18 years old.

Officials with the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection said they sent two of their top managers to Disney to oversee Disney's inspection of the ride after the teen's trip to the hospital was reported as required to the agency. The officials were identified as Isadore "Izzy" Rommes, chief of the Tallahassee-based inspection agency, and his top investigator, Allan Harrison.

Disney invited the state inspectors to check out the ride, even though the park is not required to do so by Florida law, said agency spokesman Terry McElroy. State inspectors have examined the ride in the past, McElroy said, and records filed with the agency show that it has had fewer reported incidents requiring hospital checkups than Mission: Space, at Epcot.

McElroy said Rommes and Harrison worked alongside Disney engineers from late last night until nearly 4 a.m. today checking out the ride and found no problems.

"Disney said it was operating normally and our folks concurred. We were satisfied with the safety procedures and the mechanical soundness of the ride," McElroy said.

"We observed their testing of the equipment, backwards and forwards, numerous times. One of our guys said they didn't get back to the hotel room until about 4 a.m., so they spent quite a bit of time looking things over."

Copyright (c) 2005, Orlando Sentinel | Get home delivery - up to 50% off

Visit OrlandoSentinel.com

See how rumors get started?

1) She is not dead. (Thank you God)
    2) She apparently had a heart attack, not an anuerysm.

Hopefully she will recover nicely. I would see some lifestyle changes in her future, but at least she has a future.
    They call me "Nana"

Well several news stations reported that it was an anuerysm or other brain condition. They also stated that she underwent brain surgery and is currently recoving from that brain surgery in Florida Hospital. People can go into cardiac arrest for issues other than the heart. Watching all those Discovery Health Channel specials, I've seen people go into cardiac arrest after suffering some sort of brain injury.
    Even though I live in Gainesville, I receive the Orlando and Jackonsville News Stations. Hopefully they'll give another update on the news today so I can post it.

If there is a spelling mistake or a typo of some sort in this post sorry. I just got back from the eye doc and I have my pupils dilated. I almost ran into a tree on my walk back home!!

The press is the worst ones about starting rumors that aren't true! Long, long ago in a far off galaxy you made sure you had your facts right before you printed them. They were checked and double checked or you would be out of a job. Now, thanks to reputable papers like The National Inquirer, Globe, etc. the truth is anything that will make you a buck.
    They call me "Nana"

This is a good article I found regarding this accident. Has a lot of info.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in708906.shtml

Ps. The Orlando news at 5 didn't have an update. All they talked about was the space shuttle, Tropical Storm Emily and a major drug bust in Marion County. You know you live in Florida when your news consists of hurricanes, drug busts, bad drivers and corruption by local governments .
    Last edited by gator717; 07-13-2005 at 08:09 PM.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Thanks for the update, gator....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    He said inviting outside inspectors is "a good first step," but park officials also needed to blanket visitors with safety advice and instruction.

"In their line of business, you can't prevent accidents from happening, but you can educate park patrons to at least decrease the likelihood of accidents," he said

A quote from the end of that article. Ahem, have you EVER been on a ride at Disney?! They do nothing but warn you. I can say in the 10 minute wait I had for Mission Space in the single riders line, I heard the warning message AT LEAST 20 times! They had signs everywhere and even when you are in the "briefing room", they warn you yet again.
    There are always signs on the rough rides for those who should reconside riding.
    I think Disney does a good job at warning people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast