Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Another death in Walt Disney World??? in the News & Rumors forums; July 12, 2005 - (MagicalMountain.net) A 16-year-old girl is in critical condition after riding the "Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror" ride at Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World. Officials said ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Another death in Walt Disney World???

July 12, 2005 - (MagicalMountain.net)

A 16-year-old girl is in critical condition after riding the "Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror" ride at Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World.

Officials said a teen from Britain finished the ride today at about 9:50 a.m. and complained that she was not feeling well, Local 6 News reported.

She sat down with her mother in the theme park but her condition continued to worsen, park officials said.

Disney medics treated her and she was transported to Celebration Hospital where she was unresponsive.

Orange County Sheriff's Office will be investigating.

Early reports are that the girl has died but I have not been able to verify this as of yet.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Oh my goodness! Please keep us posted whoever finds out more info! I hope it isn't true that she has passed away.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    There are some links to articles in my post in Theme Parks....guess Ishoulda posted it here, sorry.... I am praying for her and her family, how horrible
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 07-13-2005 at 11:30 AM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Teen hospitalized after riding Tower of Terror

By Willoughby Mariano
    Sentinel Staff Writer

July 12, 2005, 3:35 PM EDT

Update 3:31 p.m. The Associated Press reports that the teen's name is Leanne Deacon. A British teen, 16, is at Celebration Hospital in Kissimmee after falling ill at the Twlight Zone Tower of Terror ride at Disney-MGM Studios, said Orange County Sheriff's office spokesman Jim Solomons.

The teen, whose identity has yet to be released, was exiting the ride with her mother at 9:50 a.m. today when she complained she was feeling unwell. Disney employees approached the girl and called paramedics because she needed medical attention, Solomons said. Paramedics arrived at 9:57 a.m. to transport her to the hospital.

The teen lost consciousness and heart function, but medical personnel revived her, Solomons said. She is being evaluated for a prior medical condition, and the ride is being tested for malfunctions. Visitors who ask if the ride is open are told it is closed because of "technical difficulties."

The ride, which opened in 1994, simulates an elevator that goes haywire in an old hotel, shooting toward the top of the tower and then plunging down.

From the time people are seated and secured in the "elevator" the ride lasts about five minutes, about a minute longer than the Mission: Space ride at Epcot.

In September 1998 seven people were treated and released from hospitals after they complained of back and neck pain after one of the elevator ride cars malfunctioned. An inspection at the time by Reedy Creek, Disney's governmental arm, found that two of three bolts that guide the elevator cables broke, allowing the car to drop one floor before an emergency brake stopped the descent.

All of the bolts were replaced on all four elevator cars and inspectors said incident showed that the emergency braking system worked as designed. A redesign in 1999 added different drop sequences, with seven minor and major drops, up from three. The redesign also added a bit more "air time" or the feeling of weightlessness during drops of as much as 13 stories.

Today's incident comes less than a month after a 4-year-old boy from Pennsylvania collasped on Epcot's Mission: Space ride and later died. The boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, was visiting the park on June 13, and authorities are awaiting results of an autopsy before saying what caused his death.

Jerry W. Jackson and Steve J. Collins of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    My thoughts and prayers are with her & her family
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    The report says she had a preexisting medical condition? Why, oh why don't these people read the warning signs?
    They call me "Nana"

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    They do, but they think they can get away with it...that or thier friends pressure them into it...

"It's not that bad, it's only a quick drop!"
    "But I have back problems! The warning sign says not to go!"
    "Sissy!"
    "Don't call me a sissy!"
    "Well, then just ride the ride!"
    "Fine, I will!"

And the rest is history.
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I'm watching the Orlando news now and they say the girl is undergoing brain surgery. Apparently, she had an aneurysm or other pre-existing condition in the brain. The doctor that works for the news station stated that such a condition could not be caused by the ride that the condition could only be aggravated by such a ride. I will post another update tonight if they give an update in the 11pm news!!

Prayers and well wishes for the family!!

Thank you Gator!
    They call me "Nana"

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    The report says she had a preexisting medical condition? Why, oh why don't these people read the warning signs?

Sometimes these pre-existing conditions are underlying and the people do not know they have them.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Then how did the doctors know to check on a condition that was pre-existing? As a side note, the neighbors of the little guy who died on Mission:Space told news reporters that he has suffered from medical problems all his life.
    They call me "Nana"

PrincessAlina is offline A-Ticket holder
    If there weren't any known health problems, it seems to me that the next logical step would be to see if there was something the family didn't know about. A highschool classmate of mine died shortly after graduation from a brain aneurysm. Not many people have regularly scheduled brain scans, so things like aneurysms tend to make themselves known once it's already too late.

As for the Mission Space incident, I still can't comprehend how someone would let their 4 yr old child ride that, regardless of whether they meet the height restriction. I have a 4 yr old myself and there's no way I would EVER subject her to such an intense ride. I do feel awful for the family, though.

dancer12 is offline A-Ticket holder
    It is very possible to have a pre-existing medical condition and have no idea for a very long time. I have a heart problem (and I still ride thrill rides but the problem can't kill me so it's ok) that I had no idea I had until I was 11. Sometimes my heart will skip a little when I get off a ride but that's the worst that happens.

My personal reaction (okay, I'm not a bad person, it was just a reaction) to the Mission:Space death was "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, YOU IDIOT!" I know it is not my place to judge this poor mother, who will for the rest of her life live with the decision she made, but that was my first reaction.
    They call me "Nana"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast