Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Cars Land coming to DHS in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by supernova Then they did a pretty good job of building an entire amusement park in just three years under lax safety codes. The Utilidores never collapsed into ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Cars Land coming to DHS

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Then they did a pretty good job of building an entire amusement park in just three years under lax safety codes. The Utilidores never collapsed into the water table. And speaking of water, that three year span also included dredging and building a manmade lake.
    Mike, honestly...

If you don't believe me, do your own homework.

Building codes changed rather dramatically in 1992 after Hurricane Andrew. No, let me rephrase that, the changes were extremely dramatic.

They also changed quite a bit after Hurricane Charley.

Cat 4 & 5 storms change things.

But, you and HG just go on believing Universal has the game solved and ignore the fact that nothing they've done, time wise, has outpaced or outstripped similar WDW projects in a comparable era.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Disney reused enough themselves. Look at Circus, all re-purposed land. Very little of FLE was on new ground. The reused land from 20K, Ariels Grotto, Food areas, fountains, old Dumbo area and reworked old attractions for some of Circus including a roller coaster along with the tents. Potter opened complete in 2010. FLE grand opening if a fake Grand Opening, it isn't complete until 2014 so it is nonsense to claim that it is in the dates you provided above. Heck the FLE Restrooms could not even come online for the faux Grand Opening.

Now with all these tighter requirements Disney is managing to build DVC's in a timely fashion, even with dealing with lake shore requirements and building around a monorail. Both Bay and Floridian breaking ground to finish in approximately 2 years. When Disney is motivated they can accomplish what they want.
    If your argument is that the same level of logistics and planning are put into a hotel that are put into theme park attractions, then you'll be having it with yourself.

Hey, building my house was no difference than the company down the street who built a factory. Right?

As for the opening of FLE, how long would it have taken Universal to open Pooterville had they had to build a rollercoaster? It took them almost two years to refurbish the two they had!
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 12-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Mike, honestly...

Building codes changed rather dramatically in 1992 after Hurricane Andrew. No, let me rephrase that, the changes were extremely dramatic.

But, you and HG just go on believing Universal has the game solved and ignore the fact that nothing they've done, time wise, has outpaced or outstripped similar WDW projects in a comparable era.

1.HP 1.0 completed.
    HP 2.0 is vertical, expansion stretching across two parks
    3.Transformers is Vertical.
    4.City Walk Rehab finished.
    5.Springfield announced but not vertical.

Now for Disney,
    1.FLE is still under construction, what am I missing beyond that the project that won't be completed until 2014?

2.Avatar-nothing

3.Wharf/Pleasure Island, nothing

4.West Side, Bowling alley for 30 groups/hour and Billiard Tables.

I'm not seeing a tie here. I'm seeing Universal expanding with determination like Disney World of Yesteryear.

I can look at both sets of parks and clearly see what each is doing well and what needs improvement. I can't ignore what is before my eyes or drink the kool-aid i.e., that FLE is complete when it is not. A Grand Opening of a partially completed expansion doesn't make the construction crews leave. Opening in Phases is fine especially since it is taking so long, I grasp Disney's need to show the guests and media something when the end isn't near.

I have empathy for the dude on the YouTube video trying to convince the media to be excited about Avatar, it was obviously a long, painful 1:39 minutes for him and he was clearly ill at easy speaking and saying nothing. It is embarrassing to be put in that position. Universals new projects are visible, daily you can see their progress. IF new building codes is really Disney Park's obstacle and isn't an obstacle for Universal, nor an Obstacle for Disney Vacation Club builds, what does this have to say about the Disney Parks Engineers/Imagineers?

Me, I don't believe it is the building codes is what is tripping up Disney Worlds Park projects.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

If your argument is that the same level of logistics and planning are put into a hotel that are put into theme park attractions, then you'll be having it with yourself.
    Nope, not at all. But Disney does not stop, start, stop start, with their DVC's like they do with their Park Project. They imagineer them break ground and go unlike Disney Parks FL who wins the award for Make Up Your Mind Already!

Hey, building my house was no difference than the company down the street who built a factory. Right?

What is your point? I know what the houses look like in your area, can't say I have a clue about your factories. Your drifting again, bring it back in to Florida projects.
    As for the opening of FLE, how long would it have taken Universal to open Pooterville had they had to build a rollercoaster? It took them almost two years to refurbish the two they had!
    Likely half the time it would take Disney to build a rollercoaster with their track record these days. Someday maybe Disney will build another and we shall see. Meanwhile we will have to be content with the Goofini. Next are your going to tell me Goofini is a better coaster than HP's 1.0 'cause it is Disney?
    And I'm still not buying into your previous statement that Dwarf's will be a true coaster on the same level of Space Mountain. Not drinking that Kool-Aid.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

In my opinion the big difference is what is expected of either park and their respective expansions. Every decision Disney makes HAS to be carefully thought out and planned. They have been around longer and they have set the bar for what a theme park is. They are the industry leader. No doubt about it. But Disney's lofty spot can be Universal's biggest advantage. Universal has been able to sit back and watch Disney make or not make decisions on where to go with their parks. The FLE expansion is a great example. At first it was going to primarily be used as the home of Tinkerbell and her friends. That didn't pan out and FLE was changed and drastically reduced in size and scope.

I think Disney is smart enough to see that Potterland is themed well enough to be competition for them. If you've not been there, the theming is amazing and on par with Disney. In fact I truly believe you could pick Potterland up and drop it near Fantasyland, DHS or California Adventure and it would blend in almost seamlessly. Now the rest of Universal and IoA, not so much. Suessville needs some serious attention but my family enjoyed it.

Adding Carsland to DHS and expanding Pixar Place it a great move. Now onto an expanded Muppets area!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    In my opinion the big difference is what is expected of either park and their respective expansions. Every decision Disney makes HAS to be carefully thought out and planned. They have been around longer and they have set the bar for what a theme park is. They are the industry leader. No doubt about it. But Disney's lofty spot can be Universal's biggest advantage. Universal has been able to sit back and watch Disney make or not make decisions on where to go with their parks. The FLE expansion is a great example. At first it was going to primarily be used as the home of Tinkerbell and her friends. That didn't pan out and FLE was changed and drastically reduced in size and scope.

I think Disney is smart enough to see that Potterland is themed well enough to be competition for them. If you've not been there, the theming is amazing and on par with Disney. In fact I truly believe you could pick Potterland up and drop it near Fantasyland, DHS or California Adventure and it would blend in almost seamlessly. Now the rest of Universal and IoA, not so much. Suessville needs some serious attention but my family enjoyed it.

Adding Carsland to DHS and expanding Pixar Place it a great move. Now onto an expanded Muppets area!
    I agree. Universal will likely never have this opportunity to sway Disney Fans to spend time in their parks and they are not letting it slip away. Universal will never rule but they are stealing away guests a day or two from Disney Parks and this didn't happen 10 years ago. And it isn't just a one time defection, HP fans keep going back and Universal Parks are luring guests to keep returning by adding new stuff. We do 1/3 time at Universal Parks/Hotel and then move on over to Disney for about 2/3 of our vacation. We never, ever left Disney property before. Portofino was the best hotel I've stayed at, nothing at Disney topped it for me. The transportation to the parks from the hotel was superior to. I like they patterned their park hub after Disneyland over Disney World, it is more convenient for guests.

I don't think Disney is waiting to see what Potter will do. I think that message is crystal clear already. HP fans are like a cult, they are loyal and old and young alike are drawn to those movies and novels. HP seems to be the one thing that draws Disney Fans away form Disney to Universal Parks. Universal won't beat Disney but they can certainly drain away some of the tourist dollars that they use to have a monopoly on.

My kids when small, they are really spread in age, loved Suessville, it just did get a facelift rehab. When small it did grab their spirit of adventure better than Fantasyland did, some of FL scared the crud out of them, Suessville was more inviting to the small. But adding in Pooh and once Pooh's Thoughtful spot, Ariels splash area in later years was an improvement. My kids when small loved the Toon area, it was inviting, colorful.

I wonder what they will do with Muppets. I love the Muppets, especially the pre-show. It is old though and not drawing so much anymore, yet the purest don't want it changed because it had Henson's hand in it. Tough call.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 12-11-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post

Yeah, you made the most important point. Universal has one area in one park that is finally on par with WDW.

One.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Mike, honestly...

I do believe you, Scott. I'm just saying that the original park, built under more lax codes, has withstood time and elements extremely well. I know the state doesn't set restrictions for Disney alone and that amusement parks have to follow the codes put in place for ANY new construction project. If portions of the original park structures were weakened and sagging, or have become unstable due to hurricane-force winds, then I could see the need for concern.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I agree. Universal will likely never have this opportunity to sway Disney Fans to spend time in their parks and they are not letting it slip away. Universal will never rule but they are stealing away guests a day or two from Disney Parks and this didn't happen 10 years ago.
    Visitors to WDW mistaken the free Magical Express as a true courtesy shuttle. It's a brilliant move to deter people from renting cars and spending money elsewhere. Me, I'm always with a rental car. It's worth the $27 or so a day to escape Disney and head out. Cabs in the area aren't very cheap.

We do 1/3 time at Universal Parks/Hotel and then move on over to Disney for about 2/3 of our vacation. We never, ever left Disney property before.
    I do one day at Universal, one day at Disney, and the rest of the time is split between on- and off-property exploring.

My kids when small, they are really spread in age, loved Suessville, it just did get a facelift rehab. When small it did grab their spirit of adventure better than Fantasyland did, some of FL scared the crud out of them, Suessville was more inviting to the small. But adding in Pooh and once Pooh's Thoughtful spot, Ariels splash area in later years was an improvement. My kids when small loved the Toon area, it was inviting, colorful.
    The Suess train is an awful ride yet somehow the line never ends. I guess it doesn't help that it's a slow-loading ride. The Cat in the Hat ride is even worse than the train.

I wonder what they will do with Muppets. I love the Muppets, especially the pre-show. It is old though and not drawing so much anymore, yet the purest don't want it changed because it had Henson's hand in it. Tough call.
    My wife, who is in NO way a Disney fan (she begrudgingly joins me each year for the trip down to WDW for Christmas) took three of her brothers to the parks last year. While one of her brothers and I rode Star Tours, she took her eldest brother over to see The Muppets. Here are the exact texts I received from her:
    Mike: Where are you?
    Serena: Muppets
    Mike: In the theater?
    Serena: Yes, it is stupid.
    Serena: OK, this is a bad one.
    Mike: Sorry.
    Serena: Do you know if I can get out?
    Mike: I think so.
    Serena: How long is this piece of garbage? Do u know?
    Serena: My brain is melting. When will this end?

Nope. Not a fan. I guess it must have been popular when it first opened, which would explain the fast pass machines. At least the jokes and script aren't dated. That's the difference between making a general film and making an awful piece like Cranium Command, which dated too quickly. Keep it simple, keep it generic, and you can't go wrong. Unless you ask my wife.

And I'm still not buying into your previous statement that Dwarf's will be a true coaster on the same level of Space Mountain. Not drinking that Kool-Aid.
    Iced tea in my class over Kook-Aid, and sunglasses on in place of the rose colored variety.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I do believe you, Scott. I'm just saying that the original park, built under more lax codes, has withstood time and elements extremely well. I know the state doesn't set restrictions for Disney alone and that amusement parks have to follow the codes put in place for ANY new construction project. If portions of the original park structures were weakened and sagging, or have become unstable due to hurricane-force winds, then I could see the need for concern.
    I'm not following you here. Concern for what?

Yeah, you made the most important point. Universal has one area in one park that is finally on par with WDW.

One.
    Oh My! On Par with WDW. Didn't see that coming. Mayans might just be right, the world can end now.

Thinking much of the original WDW was built better before the new codes. The oldest parts have withstood a lot over the last 40 years. Look at the 2 mega Trees, one in MK and one in AK. The Swiss in the MK doesn't have netting around the entire base to protect guests from falling branches.

Visitors to WDW mistaken the free Magical Express as a true courtesy shuttle. It's a brilliant move to deter people from renting cars and spending money elsewhere. Me, I'm always with a rental car. It's worth the $27 or so a day to escape Disney and head out. Cabs in the area aren't very cheap.
    Amazingly few guests ever make the correlation of the ME as limiting your freedom of movement. I don't like driving the Orlando area. We take a TownCar to Universal and Universal to Disney with a stop to pick up staples for our room at Disney along the way.

I do one day at Universal, one day at Disney, and the rest of the time is split between on- and off-property exploring.
    When I do the Nat'l. School Board conference in Orlando Convention Center I stay at Portofino while family does Universal Parks, I'm always hard pressed to get my favorite attractions in during the few hours each night I have. It likely adds up to about 7 or 8 hours tops.

The Suess train is an awful ride yet somehow the line never ends. I guess it doesn't help that it's a slow-loading ride. The Cat in the Hat ride is even worse than the train.
    I can't say I was in love with Seuss but as a Mom I loved it because it made my little kids happy. Most guests confuse slow loading attractions at Universal and Disney as popular and beloved. Me, Peter Pan is about as boring as it gets. Swear some unknowing guests get in line because of the line believing it is a don't miss.

My wife, who is in NO way a Disney fan (she begrudgingly joins me each year for the trip down to WDW for Christmas) took three of her brothers to the parks last year. While one of her brothers and I rode Star Tours, she took her eldest brother over to see The Muppets.
    Lol. Love her dialog. I've always loved Muppets, I was too old for Sesame Street by the time it came around but it didn't grate on me like Dora did. I don't mind generic themes for original imagineering. Now I dislike off rack, generic coasters, i.e., Primeval and Goofy. OK that they have spinner rides because they were imagineered to be unique to Disney. I am not a fan of generic characters either like Duffy and clowns, they just don't scream unique to Disney to me anyhow.

Iced tea in my class over Kook-Aid, and sunglasses on in place of the rose colored variety.
    Touche!
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 12-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

There have been some rumors/discussions about this for quite a while, but there is still nothing official. Are we to assume the DIS just sort of jumped the gun? I'm thinking it's still just a rumor.

I have a hard time believing Disney would be announcing another major project with FLE still underway and the proposed Avatar land at AK.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

lexitink is offline A-Ticket holder

Really surprised Disney would make this move. Attendance on the east coast is fine, and with Carsland being a California-only area, you're giving visitors a reason to fly out west. Alice in Wonderland and that silly little Storybook Canal waste of space certainly aren't going to draw guests, nor is that generic ferris wheel carnival ride.
    i went to DL this summer and the ferris wheel was one of the funnest rides there.
    All it takes is faith and trust. Oh! And something I forgot......just a little bit of pixie dust

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

Still no news on this Im assuming ......
    nicholas likes this.
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1014 View Post
    Still no news on this Im assuming ......
    I know, it's odd. At one point it looked like it was really going to happen but I don't know.
    i-neighborhood likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast