Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss thoughts on "Escape From Tomorrow" in the News & Rumors forums; Several news stations are talking about a film that debuted at the Sundance Film Festival... "Escape From Tomorrow". It was filmed at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World completely unbeknownst ...
    WesTheTallGuy is offline A-Ticket holder

thoughts on "Escape From Tomorrow"

Several news stations are talking about a film that debuted at the Sundance Film Festival... "Escape From Tomorrow". It was filmed at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World completely unbeknownst to Disney, and shows the park as a "dystopian hellscape" where a man who has just been fired from his job is trying to confront his feelings while theme-parking with his family. The director of the film says the movie is about the "cultural obsession with these fake, manufactured worlds of so-called fantasy" and calls Disney World a "materialistic Mecca".

--- I have not seen this film, only read about it on cnn.com ... ---

What do you think of this? Should people be allowed to film movies inside Disney? Should Disney sue to keep the movie from being shown? I'm just curious what other Disney fans think about this.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: thoughts on "Escape From Tomorrow"

Disney is within their rights to prevent their images, facilities, etc. from being used for commercial purposes. If he releases it for free, there is less of an issue but there are still copyright and trademark issues involved.

He, like the guy who got banned for going backstage repeated, knew what he was doing was against the rules to the point of being paranoid Disney would find out and shut him down.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: thoughts on "Escape From Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Disney is within their rights to prevent their images, facilities, etc. from being used for commercial purposes. If he releases it for free, there is less of an issue but there are still copyright and trademark issues involved.
    And that was my learning curve for the day, the release for free part. Those lines are very blurred with what people can do for a profit while on Disney Property and earn an income doing so.

He, like the guy who got banned for going backstage repeated, knew what he was doing was against the rules to the point of being paranoid Disney would find out and shut him down.
    I told this story to my son when I read the article and after I watched some of the videos. DS said he would have loved to watch the sting set up and ultimate sting. Something about the gentleman's voice or delivery just made me wince and cringe.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.