Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss The Disney Store... brought to you by... in the News & Rumors forums; Walt Disney Co. may have a buyer for its Disney Stores. Children's Place Retail Stores Inc. out of Secaucus, N.J., says it is talking to Disney about buying and operating ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

The Disney Store... brought to you by...

Walt Disney Co. may have a buyer for its Disney Stores.

Children's Place Retail Stores Inc. out of Secaucus, N.J., says it is talking to Disney about buying and operating the retail chain.

Children's Place sells children's apparel and accessories and has 711 North American stores.

There are 335 Disney Stores in North America. Locally, Disney operates stores at Florida Mall, West Oaks Mall and Seminole Towne Center, as well as at its theme parks and resorts.

"A potential transaction would bring together The Children's Place's retail expertise with the unique 'Disney' brand and creative engine," Children's Place says in a written release.

Disney has been talking since May 2003 about unloading the stores. Last March, the company closed its Disney Stores at Altamonte Mall and Orlando Fashion Square as part of a national plan to close 150 stores as their leases expire.

I frequent the Disney store(s) near my house, and I often ask (especially when I see half empty shelves and 75% off pricing) if the rumors of the stores' closing and/or sale is true. I always, without fail, have received an "absolutely not"answer in return. Sometimes, it is even coupled with, "no... we're changing to include more park merchandise and adult clothing." Yeah, right!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    I have been hearing the more adult clothing bit for months. When they do have adult stuff it is sleepwear and tee's.

Gone are the days when they had nice polo's and oxford's, jackets, watches, books. Stuff that I use to buy. I used to walk out of the store with $50 in purchases each time I was in.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    It's interesting that they're converting the NYC store to a World of Disney, operated by WDW and not the Disney Stores...

ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland
    The NY store is usually very busy - at least the times I have been to the store there is a crowd. My guess is they want to keep that one in the family since it actually makes money.

RU

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I used to really like visiting the Disney Store and often walked around saying "ooh I want that." In recent years it has become nothing but kids stuff (mostly little kids stuff). I did get a couple of nice t-shirts there not so long ago, but for the most part all that's left for me to buy is a new toy for my desk that I am only purchasing because of the dirt cheap sale price.
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

Jennifer2003 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I applied for a job there...haven't heard anything. I'm mad the store right now...LOL

I too miss the adult clothes...

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    According to the USA Today:

Children's Place Retail Stores signed a non-binding letter of intent to buy Disney's money-losing Disney Store chain in North America. The chain has been on the block for more than a year. The Disney Stores on 5th Avenue in midtown Manhattan, at the Disney theme parks, and on the Disney studio lot in Burbank, Calif., are not part of the auction. The profitable European Disney Store chain is up for sale separately.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    I worked at the Disney Store when it had cool stuff ie watches, Disney Classics Collection, jewellery and I loved it. I was there a couple of days ago and was so disappointed. The Halloween costumes were the only things I looked at - we're not even getting adult costumes in Canada though and that ****s.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I totally agree. I don't understand the logic of Disney (quite often I feel that way), especially with such a huge fan base looking for that type of "adult" merchandise (not "adult" merchandise, but you know what I mean)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42