Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Finger scanning now at WDW in the News & Rumors forums; Source What do you all think about this? I personally don't see a need or purpose to it unless they are planning on eventually getting rid of passes and just ...
    MagCynic is offline A-Ticket holder

Finger scanning now at WDW

Source

What do you all think about this? I personally don't see a need or purpose to it unless they are planning on eventually getting rid of passes and just using fingerprints to get into the park.

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Disney fully implemented the finger-scanning at the beginning of the year, along with removing the free no-expiration feature of their tickets (now you buy that as an add-on at an additional fee over the base ticket price) as a way of dealing with the thriving market in tickets with unused days being sold on the internet or by ticket brokers in little stands here locally. Once the old tickets still floating around have been all used, the finger-scanning will make sure that the person who bought the ticket will be the person using the ticket.
    The scanners do not read the guest's fingerprints, but their biometrics, which is the distances between various bones in the fingers. . . . as individual as a fingerprint, but not subject to the same laws as I understand. I have also been told that the database is enormous, much bigger than the FBI's fingerprint database.

Good idea? If we want to go to WDW we don't have much of a choice in the matter.
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 07-17-2005 at 11:41 AM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    so do they know ho many old tickets there are out there?

I've seen tickets with punch holes from the late 70's and early 80's that have a day or two left on them that Disney still accepts. We deal with military tickets here at SOG and I know that military bases across America are still selling their stock of pre-2005 tickets. . . . I don't think they have any way of knowing how many valid tickets are still out there. The unused day trade will continue for a while, this is just Disney's first step in stemming the flow.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    I'm sure they have a rough guess as to how many days are left on pre-ATS ticket media out there, and a real close (if not exact) number as to the ATS (magnetic strip-type) days which are out there still.

Note that it's not actually taking fingerprints, if you look at the box you stick your fingers in, you'll see the bottom is just a reflective surface, and there's no way for it to contain a mechanism for fingerprint scanning. It uses hand geometry to create a signature based on your hand geometry. It's a one way function - you can go from hand->signature, but not the other way around.

The database isn't, for the most part, linked directly with any personal information. (Credit card numbers and resort reservations, indirectly, but they are stored in separate databases, from what I understand, and are not easily cross-referenced)..

There's a good post on this in the slashdot discussion. Honestly, I think the implications of this are quite overblown..

I think it's a little overblown as well, I have to answer questions every day by guests worried that they now will bear the mark of the beast!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Since it doesn't really store your fingerprints but the hand geometry, what is the big deal? The world is changing every day and this is just another way life is changing. It protects Disney and the buyer. There may be some lost or stolen tickets out there and this is one way to protect me in the future.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    While I like to think it's to protect the buyer, really, it's to make Disney more money..

By preventing transfer of passes, they'll sell more of them. Especially since longer passes are cheaper per day than shorter passes, it's in Disney's interest to sell more short-term passes than fewer long-term passes....

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Any they say "SeaWorld to implement soon"... Um they already are and have been like Disney for years. Their system takes many more measurements as well. I hate it when they keep trying to attack Disney so often.

They just want so bad to be like Disney, can you blame them?

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Well they surely need to make the stories much happier if they even plan on competing in the first place!

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    honestly, i don't see the harm in it. it's not like they are getting my credit card and medical background from it. not like i'm going to ride Mission: Space and be stopped by a CM saying "...we see you were diagnosed with a minor heart condition at birth, we're going to have to ask you to step out of line now......"

it's just for their security. what's to stop me from taking my hopper pass, with an extra day left on it, and passing it off to someone else, when they should be purchasing their own ticket, or something like that.

like any company, it's just to ensure they aren't getting ripped off.

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Thanks to the new finger scanning requirements that come with the Adult Magic Your Way tickets, I had to scrap a whole chapter out of the book. It used to be pretty easy to cut your ticket price in half by buying more days than you needed and then selling the unused days on eBay. You can still do that with a Child's Pass though.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    Thanks to the new finger scanning requirements that come with the Adult Magic Your Way tickets, I had to scrap a whole chapter out of the book. It used to be pretty easy to cut your ticket price in half by buying more days than you needed and then selling the unused days on eBay. You can still do that with a Child's Pass though.
    why do you have to be against everything i support?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyonaDime
    Wow! You've got an awsome site, I'll have to pick up that book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast