Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss And another 24 hour day in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by doconeill I meant Disney announcing it in the Parks Blog, instead of inviting the press and guests for 15 minutes of flash. Yep, been going on for ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: And another 24 hour day

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I meant Disney announcing it in the Parks Blog, instead of inviting the press and guests for 15 minutes of flash.
    Yep, been going on for a long time already about 2 years of major press announcements hyped for long periods of time. Dragon was a great hype for the media only event. This two day press event was a lot of nothing new for them to write about, but food and drink for 2 days nothing to really complain about, though many were disappointed believing they would see more inside the dwarf and the meet and greet besides the narrow hallway a worker was detailing and concept artwork.

One bloggers comment was funny as he talked about yet another kumbaya reaction by all the hand picked media around him.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

It was a rough 40 hours for a lot of them until they were off the clock the next day.
    So CMs worked 40 straight hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    So CMs worked 40 straight hours?

I'm not sure where you read that or why you are rephrasing it that way.

If you take one sentence out of a story and draw a conclusion it changes the entire meanin
    g and yet explained in the sentence before the one sentence you cherry picked.

CMs working a 16 hour day and having to be back in 8 hours including commuting time back and forth, time to eat, doesn't leave diddly for sleep and back right again at dawn for another day of extended hours. I've been in a similar situtation working at Ohare, it isn't a good experience until your hours return to a more normal pattern and you get a solid sleep before returning to work. My DS knew he'd be worse off with just a nap so he went into the MK and when it closed at 6am went to breakfast and right back to work. So as I stated a rough 40 hours for a chunk of the CMs that had their hours extended a great deal from mandatory overtime for the 24 hour day.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Good one Pygie! My DS started at dawn, nearly worked a double, when in for a few hours, out to breakfast and right back to work. It was a rough 40 hours for a lot of them until they were off the clock the next day. Guests came in waves, at points wasn't crowded, but when Epcot closed it backed up the monorail and ferry unbelievably because a huge amount of guests transferred from Epcot to the MK for the duration of the night and a chunk were a tipsy crowd. I guess the custodial group got a work out on the protein spills.

Disney was not anticipating the crowd they had and there was long, mandatory overtime on top of the scheduled CM shifts. Only the bakery was open at dawn and the lines backed up to town square for breakfast foods and coffee for those who were there for the entire 24 hour experience. There was the same problem as they took attractions off line as the night hours went on and restaurants closed to only a few causing huge lines. That left guests determined to see the sun come up on benches and available tables at closed CS venues with outside seating. They quickly sold out of most 24 merchandise, I ordered my DS online during the day and it took over six weeks for it to come, though my account was debited immediately, which isn't how that normally happens for backordered merchandise, CM discount didn't work on that order either. Disney quickly decided to do it all again.

Checkmate to Sea World wont stop the fans wanting to see Sea World debut. Most likely AP holders and FL peeps so they'll go to Sea World likely during the day, nap, go to Disney after Midnight. Disney this time will have more attractions open, more CMs scheduled and far more food available. They learned in CA, 2 parks needed with all their loyal AP holders.

All and all you are right, a lot of hype, it brings out lots of guests in a slower time, sells a great deal of everything and only costs Disney CMs salaries and a quick turn to get the MK cleaned up and ready by 9am the next morning. Wonder if the Crystal Palace will be open for breakfast that morning?

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Is Universal closed that day?!

Is it? Last I heard Universal fit into the category of Another Park.

As for Avatar, they're spending a pretty hefty wad-o-jack to build the new digs for The Lion King. They're preparing that area for something.
    So we should stand up and cheer that Disney is spending hefty wad-o-jack for new digs, again for The Lion King?
    Why? It is something that has been hanging around for over a decade and will now have spent a wad three times on a venue? Opening outdoor venue, indoor a/c venue and now a third stab at it long range goals at it its best.

Time for another swig of kool-aid and another chorus of Kumbaya Disney, Kumbaya, Kumbaya Disney Kumbaya.
    At least Disney is keeping the General Contractors in business, bet they hope Disney rebuilds the Lion King digs 3 times in the second 15 years too. As for the guests they get the Lion King nothing more, nothing less.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Unhinged.

Downtown Disney District Extended Hours for Monstrous Summer All-Nighter at the Disneyland Resort
    Posted: 21 May 2013 03:00 PM PDT

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks aren’t the only places to have amonstrous time during this Friday’s all-nighter at the Disneyland Resort … theDowntown Disney District is also getting in on the fun with extended hours and more. Check it out:

• Restaurants, Food Carts and Quick Service Locations
      • Downtown Disney District restaurants will be open until 2 a.m. on Saturday, May 25 (excluding ESPN Zone)
      • Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express will be open until 3 a.m. on Saturday, May 25
      • Special extended hours at ESPN Zone
        • The Arena – open until 3 a.m.
        • The 19th Hole Bar – alcohol available until 1 a.m.
        • Non-alcoholic drinks served until 3 a.m.
        • Limited food menu served until 1 a.m.
        • “1/2 price” special on all Arena games from 12-3 a.m.

• House of Blues and Tortilla Jo’s will open for breakfast at 6 a.m. on Saturday, May 25
      • The following will be open 24 hours on May 24-25

• The following will be open until 2 a.m. on Saturday, May 25
        • Wetzel’s Pretzels Cart
        • Gelato Cart
        • Churro Carts

• Merchandise Stores and Carts
      • Downtown Disney District stores will be open 24 hours on May 24-25
      • Merchandise carts will be open until 2 a.m. on Saturday, May 25
      • Live Entertainment
        • 6–10 p.m. – Downtown Disney District live entertainment
        • 11 p.m. – 4 a.m. – DJ Wendy on the Main Stage
        • 11 p.m. – 4 a.m. – DJ Justin at House of Blues area

For more information, click here, and join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #Disney24.
      Downtown Disney District Extended Hours for Monstrous Summer All-Nighter at the Disneyland Resort by Erin Glover: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog

Fun! Fun! MK lot is full.

Free voucher for parking at Epcot.

Line for Epcot monorail to TTC all the way out to Epcot ticket sale booths.

Disney's Free WiFi keeps dumping. Good test of improvements. Back to the drawing board.

Disney filed permits this week for FP+ permanent signage this week.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 05-24-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Hopefully this is the last time they'll use this. Just a terrible idea all the way around.

As for the Wi-Fi, I doubt there's a system even at the end of its beta cycle that could withstand that amount of traffic in such a relatively small area. That's certainly nothing to be critical of.

Hopefully this is the last time they'll use this. Just a terrible idea all the way around.

As for the Wi-Fi, I doubt there's a system even at the end of its beta cycle that could withstand that amount of traffic in such a relatively small area. That's certainly nothing to be critical of.
    What small area?

The entire FP+ system is dependent on WiFi to access to Disney's My Disney Experience, WiFi is critical to the entire MDE. Actually 24 hours was a real good test of the WiFi system, if it can't handle last night it won't make it in major tourist times as in Thanksgiving and Christmas without dumping guests like last night. Now they know they still have more work to do, a good test of the WiFi stability IMO.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I think the in-park Wi-Fi is probably the biggest implementation of Wi-Fi ever, at least on a public scale. It's unprecedented. It's one think to make it available to CMs, but to add all the additional traffic - whether guests are knowingly using it or not (how many turn off Wi-Fi on their phones? Or know how?)

It's hard enough making it work more than OK on a small scale. But the more devices trying to operate on the same channel, the worse it is. There is no "taking turns". If a device wants to send data, it does so, if it sees that the channel is idle. But if two devices try and transmit at the same time, they collide and neither one works. They stop and try again. The more devices you have, the worse it gets. Throughput goes WAY down. Connecting to services gets harder.

I can't imagine how Disney is going to get it working reliably at any level.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    What small area?

The entire FP+ system is dependent on WiFi to access to Disney's My Disney Experience, WiFi is critical to the entire MDE. Actually 24 hours was a real good test of the WiFi system, if it can't handle last night it won't make it in major tourist times as in Thanksgiving and Christmas without dumping guests like last night. Now they know they still have more work to do, a good test of the WiFi stability IMO.

I didn't choose the right wording. What I was getting at was the density of the traffic within that area. The routers are serving relatively small areas, but the traffic contained in each of those zones is enormous.

As I said, I doubt there is an existing system that can effectively service the sheer numbers we're talking about. And as Doc said, this is truly unprecedented.

That makes offhand complaints about it seems incredibly silly.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I think the in-park Wi-Fi is probably the biggest implementation of Wi-Fi ever, at least on a public scale. It's unprecedented. It's one think to make it available to CMs, but to add all the additional traffic - whether guests are knowingly using it or not (how many turn off Wi-Fi on their phones? Or know how?)

It's hard enough making it work more than OK on a small scale. But the more devices trying to operate on the same channel, the worse it is. There is no "taking turns". If a device wants to send data, it does so, if it sees that the channel is idle. But if two devices try and transmit at the same time, they collide and neither one works. They stop and try again. The more devices you have, the worse it gets. Throughput goes WAY down. Connecting to services gets harder.

I can't imagine how Disney is going to get it working reliably at any level.
    I can't imagine either, especially without any experience, the rest of the world had already rolled out WiFi for guest use and had been tweaking, upgrading for a decade. Trying to roll out a huge system WDW wide and My Experience/FP+ all at once, they were asking for issues and got them.

It is one thing for WiFi to be unstable, it is another to have WiFi unstable and still go through with My Experience/FP+ where guest need a reliable WiFi. If WiFi was just a courtesy that would be a different issue.
    At Ohare, one of the largest and busiest airports, tons of people using WiFi and it works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast