Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss And another 24 hour day in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz I didn't choose the right wording. What I was getting at was the density of the traffic within that area. The routers are serving relatively ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: And another 24 hour day

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I didn't choose the right wording. What I was getting at was the density of the traffic within that area. The routers are serving relatively small areas, but the traffic contained in each of those zones is enormous.

As I said, I doubt there is an existing system that can effectively service the sheer numbers we're talking about. And as Doc said, this is truly unprecedented.

That makes offhand complaints about it seems incredibly silly.
    My remarks are not incredibly silly, why must you always throw personal digs in your posts, it is icky fallback when your posts lack actual merit.

If an airport can support huge amounts of people in a relatively small area, why can't Disney? Hundreds of people in a gate room and they can pull it off. If WiFi was just for fun it would be a different argument, needing to access Disney's system to alter your experience has a direct impact on what Disney is trying to roll out.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Ohare...WDW.

Can't imagine what the difference is between those two...

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I can't imagine either, especially without any experience, the rest of the world had already rolled out WiFi for guest use and had been tweaking, upgrading for a decade. Trying to roll out a huge system WDW wide and My Experience/FP+ all at once, they were asking for issues and got them.

It is one thing for WiFi to be unstable, it is another to have WiFi unstable and still go through with My Experience/FP+ where guest need a reliable WiFi. If WiFi was just a courtesy that would be a different issue.
    At Ohare, one of the largest and busiest airports, tons of people using WiFi and it works.
    I actually don't believe that O'Hare needs to deal with it at quite the same level. I don't believe you are dealing with a hundred or more users at a single gate, but spread throughout the terminal. Plus there are several terminals, and they are effectively closed off from each other since you are providing service indoors, and not outdoors. WDW has to do it outdoors, and cover a wide area at that. And to a certain level mandating that the users need to use it. And to use it simply, you don't want that pesky "please accept our terms of service" page stopping guests who can barely figure out how wi-fi works on their phones (note that I do not currently know if WDW has a page like that...I'll find out this weekend).

I'll also point out - they they haven't really rolled out MDE just yet...it is usable - but not nearly what they want it doing yet. And it could be one of the reasons for the delays.

Oh, and you know another issue that WDW has to deal with that O'Hare doesn't? MagicBands. The active transmitters operate in the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band as well. Imagine everyone carrying a walkie-talkie around with the PTT button pressed...and then try to talk to someone...
    Last edited by doconeill; 05-27-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Glad to see that edit, because I was going to add the Magic Bands which are constantly chewing up bandwidth.

I can't recall if they have a terms of service page, or not. I remember getting on was really easy, except in the back part of the extended queue for ToT where no signal could be found.

But yeah, the more you ponder what it is they're trying to do, the more in awe you have to be of it. To have that much coverage fully integrated property wide boggles the mind. I'm betting they're going to eventually write a whole new rule book for the game once it's all said and done.

I know in the surgical center I used to work in they had to change out the insulation and HVAC because of cooling and negative air pressure issues. When the engineer was explaining what they were going to do he said, "it's a relatively new system that was created by Disney".

Some of the engineering feats they have accomplished there are really something to behold. Have to laugh at people who disparage them for trying something that's never been done before and not knocking it out of the park immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My remarks are not incredibly silly, why must you always throw personal digs in your posts, it is icky fallback when your posts lack actual merit.

If an airport can support huge amounts of people in a relatively small area, why can't Disney? Hundreds of people in a gate room and they can pull it off. If WiFi was just for fun it would be a different argument, needing to access Disney's system to alter your experience has a direct impact on what Disney is trying to roll out.
    Actually, they were silly, and it wasn't a personal dig.

Stop acting like a big baby when people don't bow down and tell you how awesome everything you say is. <Now THAT was a personal dig.

Dig?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I actually don't believe that O'Hare needs to deal with it at quite the same level. I don't believe you are dealing with a hundred or more users at a single gate, but spread throughout the terminal. Plus there are several terminals, and they are effectively closed off from each other since you are providing service indoors, and not outdoors. WDW has to do it outdoors, and cover a wide area at that. And to a certain level mandating that the users need to use it. And to use it simply, you don't want that pesky "please accept our terms of service" page stopping guests who can barely figure out how wi-fi works on their phones (note that I do not currently know if WDW has a page like that...I'll find out this weekend).

I'll also point out - they they haven't really rolled out MDE just yet...it is usable - but not nearly what they want it doing yet. And it could be one of the reasons for the delays.

Oh, and you know another issue that WDW has to deal with that O'Hare doesn't? MagicBands. The active transmitters operate in the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band as well. Imagine everyone carrying a walkie-talkie around with the PTT button pressed...and then try to talk to someone...

Actually I think a 100 people using the net at a gate is an understatement. Ohare on average pushes through 190,000 per day where the MK pushes 43,000. Ohare and Atlanta are airports you really need to be there a couple hours in advance, welcome to WiFi. Likely you have a user at Ohare on the net 1-2 hours continously while it isn't likely guests surf 1-2 hours continuously. I fly frequently enough and have been stuck at Ohare on delays for hours on end. A trip in April I was stuck at MCO for 6 hours trying to get to back into Ohare, what else is there to do? unlike options at a theme park?

Hindsight is great but Disney just entered the WiFi era way too late for what they want to roll out that needs WiFi support. They have been wise to only have RFID with cast and their families for now until Disney has their WiFi more stable. They should just outsource to Boingo, they put out a reliable system for large roll outs, have the bugs worked out and have the experience Disney is lacking. Disney is just in over their head for now so the endless delays in rolling out rfid isn't surprising, but at least they used restraint and haven't rolled it out, give them kudo for that.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123