Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resortwide in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by doconeill So this is going in right away? If it is still 16oz, it's disappointing. I have no idea when it is going online. Much like WiFi ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resort

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    So this is going in right away?

If it is still 16oz, it's disappointing.
    I have no idea when it is going online. Much like WiFi it will start resort by resort, guessing the budget resorts first, why tick of the Deluxe guests while they work it all out. He said he saw the mug at a meeting and said the mug looks identical to old mugs right down to the handle, different brim and design imprint. The mugs like the magic bands are ready to go when the system is ready for them.

Royal Caribbean has been doing the RFID mugs for around a year with a design from Coke, so there should not be too many glitches since RC and Coke in their 3 year test phase broke the ground for Disney. The question that is still out there is if Disney will stick with the problomatic machines they used for their test, or if they will use the RFID Coke machines that are working so well on the Royal Caribbean Ships. My DS was able to test one of the machines last month aboard a RC ship and was impressed. Time will tell.

These are the RFID machines used on RC ships.

And one of their mugs.

It is rumored that the remodel of the All Star Resort End Zone, will be among the first to receive the new machines/mugs and the other recent rehab'd quick service venues were designed to accommodate future RapidFills already.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator

Re: Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resort

these are the freestyle Coke machines with 100+ flavor combinations. some flavors:

vanilla coke, orange coke, lime coke, raspberry coke
    vanilla sprite, peach fanta, grape fanta
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Yeah, those are the Freestyle machines, which are at many places now, but sans RFID - that seems to be more of an RC thing (it's the only place I've heard of it). I've also heard you can only get 16oz every fifteen minutes with those...

From the descriptions, it sounds like the RapidFill systems are the same ones tested at All-Star Sports before, and not the Freestyle machines - which is too bad but probably would be tougher for the volume of Disney to have to keep up on all the flavor syrups, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Yeah, those are the Freestyle machines, which are at many places now, but sans RFID - that seems to be more of an RC thing (it's the only place I've heard of it). I've also heard you can only get 16oz every fifteen minutes with those...

From the descriptions, it sounds like the RapidFill systems are the same ones tested at All-Star Sports before, and not the Freestyle machines - which is too bad but probably would be tougher for the volume of Disney to have to keep up on all the flavor syrups, etc.
    Yep, RC and Coke worked on the project together and it has worked out well, except the maiden voyage where RC underestimated the popularity with their guests. 125 flavor combinations.

Actually I think they might take up more space but are cleaner, far more sanitary and of less of a flying bug problems in venues like Flame QS that are outdoors. The RC system would also be compatible with the coffee machines that dispense hot chocolate, coffee and tea.

These machines are also ADA accessible, the buttons on the bottom slide to display choices on the touch screen. Payment also available at the bottom. This way the vending machine can be used RFID or dispense a cup if purchasing individual beverages. Either way it drastically reduces the CM involvement in selling and/or dispensing of beverages for guests on the go.

But if either system rolls out as rumored, with refill machines being separate from the QS areas and tucked into rapid fill hubs in sections of the parks, that would end the space issue for either system and allow for CM's be be stationed in Rapid Hubs to change out supplies. The hubs would train guests to get their own beverages at a designated spot much like they already are trained to do at the Disney Resorts with the mugs now. It does seem to correlate with the DDP eventually dropping a beverage from guests QS allotment.

What I have not heard yet is what Disney plans to do about policing beverage cups on attractions. They currently only allow bottles that tightly close and dumping liquids into garbage cans before entering queues would be a nightmare for custodial CMs given the volume. Cleaning cups at the parks too would need to be addressed with either system, cleaning them in your own bathroom sink where you brushed your teeth is an odd practice, cleaning cups in a communal sink, well ewe. I can see both my DS and DH loving the system at the parks since they both are high volume liquid consumers of water and cheaper than $2.50 a bottle, if you don't loose that mug, I can see that being an issue with people setting them down in stores or bathrooms and forgetting to pick them up again especially children.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder

I keep think RC=RC Cola and get both excited and confused. Lol

I pink puffy heart the multiple favor Coke machines
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

RUMOR:

​Target date for rapid refill mugs at resorts is the End of September.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I would rather this have read "is to end in September". Cheapskates.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

That is complete in resorts by September. So far the Rapid Refills have been spotted, already installed at Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary, The Beach Clubs Marketplace and All Star Music beverage station.

They are using the system similar to what was tested last year that requires you to place the cup on the sensor and that is how the chip is read. What doesn't seem to have changed since last year is the splashing/splattering pop.

Me, I'm liking the Seattle and Cruise Ship versions better.

But the video, Wow! Just Wow! A machine that keeps track of just how much I drink and where I drink it and on what days and times. Wish they put this much effort to keeping their buses running on time or the monorail from breaking down.

I always get a refill mug, this just makes me want to drink the free water.

One of the nice things about being a DVC member, I visit Walmart on my first day, load up on beverages, and keep them chilled in my fridge. No need to stumble down to the quick service restaurant late at night or first thing in the morning in my PJ's for a drink.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Disney is VERY smart not to roll this out in the parks. They'd lose out on $4 water all day.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Disney is VERY smart not to roll this out in the parks. They'd lose out on $4 water all day.
    According the video press release from Disney they do intend on bringing it to the parks and that is why the refill mug is coming with a higher price tag and rolling up higher in price than it was. Me<------I'm thinking for the little money proportionally they are saving and loosing some of the bottled water and soda sales it is going to wash. They will save a bit on CM and stands however those CMs generally multitask ice cream or popcorn sales anyhow.
    Trash weight/volume on the other hand could considerably come down.

But worse I think will be the converting of CMs from those areas to attraction clean up, everyone walking around with partially filled mugs and bringing them on attractions, oozing out little by little into nets, backs of seats, floors, it is going to be like a 2nd rate movie theater with sticky and bee's. At the very least they need to go to a better mug style that is more compact and doesn't dribble liquid. Me, I'm not bring a mug into the park to tote around all day. Free water is always an option where food is served.

[stupid multi-quote still doesn't work...]

In a little fit of irony, guess who's in charge of all Wal-Marts in central Florida now?

Did I miss a video press release?

I had heard that they want to bring it to the parks. It's an interesting thought though. It's not the water I think, but the bottled Coke sales. If rumor is to be believed, Coke gets all the money from those, in exchange for the "free" syrup.

And I still don't know why they didn't go with MagicBand integration. I'd like it better if I didn't have to carry the family's mugs everywhere, but could get a quick disposable cup full...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

Plus, one mug to feed a family. Guess they'll have to limit (as I think I read they are setting up) the number of refills in a given hour. But rather than buy four Cokes or waters, or two and share with the group. OR, refill the mug over and over again and not buy four mugs for four people. Next thing you know, we'll be required to purchase mugs or re-activate our old ones. And do we really want to carry five empty mugs back and forth on each trip? Or do we forego the lost space in our suitcase and just fork out on each trip?

In testing it was already limited to a 16oz fill with a 5 minute wait time. I'm assuming that is still the case. So you could share, but it will take time...
    Doc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast