Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resortwide in the News & Rumors forums; I'll miss the great debates on refillable mugs... Orlando Theme Park News: "Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels This is apparently the tech that was tested over ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resortwide

I'll miss the great debates on refillable mugs...

Orlando Theme Park News: "Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

This is apparently the tech that was tested over at one of the All Stars a couple years ago, and I was convinced was dead...

Not sure how the length of stay thing will work (especially with connected reservations)...and not sure why they didn't link this all into MM+ given all the money spent on RFID tech for that...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resort

So really the only difference is that people won't be able to cheat the system anymore. Could that that one coming.

Re: Say goodbye to endless refillable mugs - "RapidFill" RFID mugs rolling out resort

What is interesting is that Disney didn't seem to really care for years now, but it seems that changed.

I'd actually pay even more for this if they'd enable it for refills at the parks too.
    cindymouse6 likes this.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm not sure that they didn't care about it. Maybe they just waited for the oppurtunity to make a change to the system that wasn't a complete discontinuation?

I was always shocked they instituted it in the first place. I'm not a soda drinker, so it doesn't affect me one way or another.

It just seems like spending thousands to save pennies, but maybe that's what they are down to?

If this had been rolled out as part of the MyMagic+ RFID rollout, it would have made more sense I think...already spending $1.5 billion anyways...(and I dare say, if they didn't budget in all the fixes for the app/web site/etc., lots and lots more...)
    Doc

I doubt they'd go out of their way to create mugs with RFID chips in them if their losses were negligable.

As for MM+, how would it have worked as far as foiling cheaters? Couldn't folks still bring old mugs and fill as many as they wanted to?

It would work the same way it does with this system...it only dispenses one mugful every so often per RFID. So you can't fill the mug, pour it into something else, and then fill it again. There was something like a five minute lockout, which I also understood was one of the chief complaints of the system during testing.

They could attach a "drink" entitlement to my MagicBand, for X days. They wouldn't even need to sell me a mug, just the entitlement, and I could use whatever I wanted to fill - like my hydroflask that will keep cold all day. Actually greener that way. Don't have a mug? Add one for a smaller fee. But I still can only get the dispense amount. Maybe allow me for a larger dispense for a larger fee.

It's long been the urban legend that a typical fill of a soda costs about a nickel in syrup and soda water. And some rumors say that Disney gets the syrup for free as part of the exclusivity and a bigger margin on the in-park bottles...
    cindymouse6 likes this.
    Doc

Ah, OK. That all makes sense.

I didn't know about the five minute lock out.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    What is interesting is that Disney didn't seem to really care for years now, but it seems that changed.

I'd actually pay even more for this if they'd enable it for refills at the parks too.

"Mugs in general and DDP- This is further down the road, and this will likely rile up some more folks, but the DDP will no longer include a drink at QSRs. Now hear me out. Your mug in conjunction with your MagicBand WILL allow you to access soda in the parks. But there is a ot of work that still needs to happen, and more fountain machines added before this can happen. So you can take your mug with you, and use it all day long. Until that happens, there will be no change to the current set up."

Jeff/Disney
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    "Mugs in general and DDP- This is further down the road, and this will likely rile up some more folks, but the DDP will no longer include a drink at QSRs. Now hear me out. Your mug in conjunction with your MagicBand WILL allow you to access soda in the parks. But there is a ot of work that still needs to happen, and more fountain machines added before this can happen. So you can take your mug with you, and use it all day long. Until that happens, there will be no change to the current set up."

Jeff/Disney
    Yeah, but I'm not putting a lot of weight on what "Jeff in Finance" is saying yet. He also says soda is expensive...yet I can buy it at a fraction of what I have to pay at Disney, and I'm not even buying in bulk.
    Doc

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Soda isn't expensive. As a matter of fact, beverages are where most restaurants make their money. A box of syrup is cheap, especially when you consider how much of the mixture is concentrate vs how much is water. Ask any fast food restaurant owner what portion of their business has the lowest food cost.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Soda isn't expensive. As a matter of fact, beverages are where most restaurants make their money. A box of syrup is cheap, especially when you consider how much of the mixture is concentrate vs how much is water. Ask any fast food restaurant owner what portion of their business has the lowest food cost.
    Oh, I know it...I actually calculated, at some prices I was able to locate for a typical "box" of syrup available to restaurants, that it's around 12 cents per 16oz serving for the syrup (plus water and CO2 - minimal costs, and overhead). And Disney certainly gets it a LOT cheaper (or if you believe the legends, free or gets PAID to only carry Coke)
    supernova likes this.
    Doc

I'd imagine they get it at quite a discount just for the advertising alone. Maybe not free, but I'm sure the deal is VERY friendly for Disney.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My phone is still waiting on a the photo but the mug is the same size, same handle, says the mug DS has seen is bright red with an image of Mickey's face. Top is also red however that color may be a flexible pick or the background color of the mug itself for families to ID who's mug it is.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My phone is still waiting on a the photo but the mug is the same size, same handle, says the mug DS has seen is bright red with an image of Mickey's face. Top is also red however that color may be a flexible pick or the background color of the mug itself for families to ID who's mug it is.
    So this is going in right away?

If it is still 16oz, it's disappointing.
    Doc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast