Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Records: Man died after ride at Disney in the News & Rumors forums; Article published Jul 23, 2005 Records: Man died after ride at Disney LAKE BUENA VISTA - A 30-year-old Indiana man who wore a pacemaker lost consciousness and later died at ...
    gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Records: Man died after ride at Disney

Article published Jul 23, 2005
    Records: Man died after ride at Disney

LAKE BUENA VISTA - A 30-year-old Indiana man who wore a pacemaker lost consciousness and later died at a hospital after going on the Dinosaur ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom in April, according to records released Friday by the state.

Ryan Norman of Mooresville, Ind., complained that he wasn't feeling well and later died at a hospital, according to documents released from the Bureau of Fair Rides and Exhibitions and the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office. He was the second person to die after going on a Walt Disney World ride between April and June 2005.

An investigative report indicated that the April 30 ride didn't play a role in Norman's death since he had a history of heart problems, said Sheri Blanton, senior program manager at the medical examiner's office.

In a written statement Friday, Disney said, "We extend our sympathy to Ryan Norman's loved ones for their loss."

A 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, died June 13 after riding Epcot's "Mission: Space," which simulates a shuttle ride to Mars. The cause of the boy's death remains under investigation.

A 16-year-old British girl remained in a hospital in critical condition Friday after suffering a stroke July 12 shortly after she exited the "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror," which depicts a haunted hotel elevator ride.

Earlier this year, A 77-year-old Minnesota woman, Gloria Land, died in February after riding the Magic Kingdom's "Pirates of the Caribbean." A medical examiner's report said Land was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes and her death "was not unexpected."

Florida's major theme parks are not directly regulated by the state, but reached an agreement with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services in 2001 to report any serious injuries.

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    According to this, the British girl is still in criticial condition. Hope she continues to get better!!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Why do they keep bringing this stuff up? The poor man died in April for goodness sake from heart trouble, not from a WDW ride.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

egran125 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Ugh. This really bothers me. Disney. What is becoming of you. This CANNOT be good for future ratings. I think I might cry.
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I would not mind this as much as I do if they would give full accounts of every theme park thats running. Not only that but it seems very unfair that they say the person died after riding a certian ride then say but the ride had anything to do with it.

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!
    You know...from what I can tell...these all relate to previous health issues. At Six Flags New England, a guy who was mentally challenged, tried to get out of a roller coaster and ended up first losing his arm...and then his life. Disney provides the highest safety standards, but the name gets tarnished when stupid people let four year olds on crazy rides...or people with pacemakers go on fast scary rides. What is wrong with people? Now the place that we all love and cherish gets a bad rap bacause of some unfortunates and their stupidity. Obviously, the poor girl had no idea she had a brain aneurysm...truly sad.
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

egran125 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It is all very sad. But the annoying thing is, they don't like report all 100 billion times that a person goes onto a wdw ride and comes off completely unharmed. You know what I mean? That sounds really stupid... and I thought there was a point to it... but I can't remember what I was going to type. It's just like... the deaths and injuries are so significant because there's so FEW of them. Maybe that was it. I DON'T KNOW.

people are stupid. and should know their limits before riding intense rides.
    ./.// / Eric /. / /

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree that if you have health problems and ride an attraction that Disney should have NO liability whatsoever...there are plenty of warnings and if you decide to take the risk and die then it's your own fault. I'm not trying to be callous but people should have enough common sense in these issues. It's still very sad stories but I'm just sayin...

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    You know, they should bring up my grnadfather's death in this! His lat trip was in 1996, and he rode rides, so technically he died after he rode a ride!

That was a lame attempt at a joke, and the media is trying to twist around this stuff. I am in sheer disgust.
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    You know, I've ridden WDW rides too, and I'm going to die eventually (no time soon if I have anything to say about it!!), maybe I should call the news now and get them to cover my story!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

My point exactly!
    -Taylor

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    It is starting to feel like the media is really digging to get this stuff now.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Oh, did you hear, someone just died...when was the last time they went to WDW?
    -Taylor

Kimpossible is offline C-Ticket Holder
    C'mon all, don't forget that ALL the theme parks in Florida are subject to media frenzies not just Disney. Sea World got it about six years ago with the guy in the killer whale tank who was NOT killed by the whale, yet the media played it up like it was his fault. They all get the negative pushed. Right now, people behind Sea World are going to the media about a new park that they are ASSUMING is too loud. They don't even know the true details about it.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I get motion sickness on rides that spin around a lot, or rides where you hang upside-down for a significant amount of time. Knowing that, I won't be riding the tea-cups next time I go to Disney. But if I did, and I threw up, I'm pretty sure my suit wouldn't hold up in court.

"case #139, Plaintiff vs. Walt Disney World. Charge: Public Humiliation and extreme nausea. Damages: $1,000,000 for mental trauma and dry cleaning bills."

then the judge laughs me right out of his courtroom.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast