Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney ditching the Disabled pass. in the News & Rumors forums; We have used the GAC twice. My husband is blind and we travel with his Seeing Eye dog. We also have two kids. While the card has been very helpful, ...
    cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Disney ditching the Disabled pass.

We have used the GAC twice. My husband is blind and we travel with his Seeing Eye dog. We also have two kids.

While the card has been very helpful, we have also used the card in conjunction with a Tour Guide Mike subscription. Does the GAC help reduce lines, absolutely, but with the plan we have also worked to minimize waits. We have even tried to go through the regular line and sometimes we are guided to the alternate entrance.

Since we travel with the dog, we also have to do a rider switch for some attractions.

It's a shame that some people had to ruin the system. It will be a while before we return. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out by then.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by cjborne2 View Post
    We have used the GAC twice. My husband is blind and we travel with his Seeing Eye dog. We also have two kids.

While the card has been very helpful, we have also used the card in conjunction with a Tour Guide Mike subscription. Does the GAC help reduce lines, absolutely, but with the plan we have also worked to minimize waits. We have even tried to go through the regular line and sometimes we are guided to the alternate entrance.

Since we travel with the dog, we also have to do a rider switch for some attractions.

It's a shame that some people had to ruin the system. It will be a while before we return. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out by then.
    Actually it should work out pretty well for most. There isn't a limit for the amount of FPs for former GAC guests, where general guests can only have 3. I'm sure there will be some tweaking after the testing this month.

But from what has been explained to me both visually and hearing guests will have an altered system than this system. My guess is they don't want to risk sending some guests through the queues if they can help it. Guests with service dogs, dogs are not the issue as much as other guests possibly interfering with the dogs jobs.

Out of curiosity, has your family visited the parks since the adjustments were made for service dogs after the lawsuit originating in Disneyland? It was my understanding that crates for Pups were to be added to some attractions that Pups really should not ride and that an increased amount of relief areas in more convenient places were to be added as part of the settlement. Though this was in DL the adjustments were to be duplicated in WDW.

I'm being nosy 'cause my daughter attends the University of IL and her club trains service dogs from little pups.
    She had one last spring that was about 4 months old, a lab that was so funny, he had wonderful instincts but because he was still so young at the time he'd suddenly break from working and bolt into puppy-hood and just start playing with students. So we were wondering what adjustments WDW has made for the Pups.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Our last visit to WDW was April 2012 and we have no plans to visit any Disney parks in the near future.

I didn't know about the changes at DL. I can say that I know our dog would not like to be crated. He gets very anxious when he's working and my husband is not with him. Harness = work mode and even when left with me when in harness he doesn't like it. We are able to take him on most things. He loved Pirates and Dumbo but was not a big fan of Buzz or Toy Story.

It would be helpful to have better relief areas. Since the stations are in restricted areas, it is not always easy to find a castmember who knows where they are or to find an area staffed when needed. We had a particular problem in Epcot. We have also seen some interesting things backstage. A headless Woody once ducked behind something before my kids could see him.

I wrote a trip review back in 2008 from that trip with the dog. Search for "Disney from a Dog's Perspective".

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hmmm Looks like the archives don't go back that far. I am pretty sure I have a copy saved on a computer somewhere. I'll look for it if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by cjborne2 View Post
    Our last visit to WDW was April 2012 and we have no plans to visit any Disney parks in the near future.

I didn't know about the changes at DL. I can say that I know our dog would not like to be crated. He gets very anxious when he's working and my husband is not with him. Harness = work mode and even when left with me when in harness he doesn't like it. We are able to take him on most things. He loved Pirates and Dumbo but was not a big fan of Buzz or Toy Story.

It would be helpful to have better relief areas. Since the stations are in restricted areas, it is not always easy to find a castmember who knows where they are or to find an area staffed when needed. We had a particular problem in Epcot. We have also seen some interesting things backstage. A headless Woody once ducked behind something before my kids could see him.

I wrote a trip review back in 2008 from that trip with the dog. Search for "Disney from a Dog's Perspective".

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Awe, that is so cool, what a loyal pup.

The cast members have had service dog helpfulness added to their training, Disney has also added so much more braille signage and better maps as a result of DL lawsuit. Here are the new onstage areas for Pups.

The locations are as follows:
    -Behind Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe (Liberty Square)

- Across from Ring Carver (Adventureland)

- Near Big Thunder Mountain exit (Frontierland)

- In between Carousel of Progress and Space Mountain restrooms (Tomorrowland)

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Little by little the info is trickling out.

The attraction that was the last straw and ultimately pushed GAC out of the Mouses House was Radiator Springs. The park had to dramatically reduce the number of FPs due to the high amount of special assistant passes for Radiator Springs. FPs for general guests were gone for the day generally in less than an hour. While front line CMs knew GAC had failed, when the numbers hit DCA executives desks for Radiator Springs a new system was put in place as the test for the New Program coming.

Guest relations started doing some studies and executives were stunned by the numbers. On average 20,000 guests can ride Radiator however 5,000 GAC guests a day were requesting front of the line privileges. 25%
    That 25% was dramatically impacting guests experiences at DCA and forcing most general guests into the 2 hour stand by queues.

DCA has tested out the new program, giving GAC guests that can't wait in line for various reasons given, a FP at a special podium, not for immediate access but with a return time and most of these guests will then join the FP queue. There are some attractions like Splash and Thunder that have stairs so certain guests will be directed to other areas. Apparently this has worked well at DCA and now is being implemented at WDW and DL Parks.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Sorry to hear this news, but there was a lot of abuse as I can attest too. More than once I complained to a CM only to be told they couldn't do anything about it. It's one thing to take advantage of the system by able bodied persons, but to charge a fee by unscrupulous individuals is unconscionable. I'm glad to hear about the FP system for those who really need assistance.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

CNN will feature the Disney disability changes in a story tomorrow.

Knowing CNN it will become
    even more overblown it becomes.

Reporting on this because there is nothing else important to report on right now I suppose.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Day one DAS. Queue but no guests.

wdwnt

and here is one of DHS

http://instagram.com/p/fQUm3FOC31/

;
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 10-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Edit: This is the DAS card. Disney puts FP+ time on the card and scratches it off when you come back. That way guest can only have one at a time. Get it now. ooops

wdwnewstoday
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 10-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.

The following is a response to above photo, speaks volumes to their support of DAS

Autism At The Parks@AutismAtThePark13m
    @WDWNT This is great!

more comments

WDW News Today@WDWNT1h
    When guests return to the attraction with their DAS at the specified time, the CM voids the entry by crossing it out.

WDW News Today@WDWNT48m
    Confirmed previous info was incorrect. DAS is valid at any meet & greet with standby & FP queues such as Enchanted Tales & Fairytale Hall.

Attractions Magazine ‏@Attractions 3h
    Term on Disney's new Disability cards: "When utilizing this service, it is possible to experience waits greater than the posted wait time."

WDW News Today ‏@WDWNT 3h
    The GAC was good for up to 6 people. The DAS is valid for up to 10. However, if you have over 6 people they need to see the entire party

WDW News Today ‏@WDWNT 8m
    Very impressed with the helpfulness and patience from all Cast Members who have been helping us understand the new DAS system today.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 10-09-2013 at 01:40 PM.

If you are in a wheelchair and the queue doesn't accomodate a wheelchair then a FP+ will be issued.

wdwnews today

disneyfire is offline A-Ticket holder

I am so glad of this change!
    SO many folks abused the GAC. This way, if a person needs to go to the front of the line...they still can via fast pass type of issue.
    It never was right just to be able to go to the front of every line anytime.
    THANK YOU!! Disney for hopefully fixing this massive problem concerning the abuse of "disabilities"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast