Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss With MyMagic+, Big Mickey will be watching (and then selling) in the News & Rumors forums; I always enjoyed reading articles from Jason Garcia regarding Disney, last few years while pleasant reads they kinda read like they were straight form TDO press release. The old Jason ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

With MyMagic+, Big Mickey will be watching (and then selling)

I always enjoyed reading articles from Jason Garcia regarding Disney, last few years while pleasant reads they kinda read like they were straight form TDO press release. The old Jason Garcia, kinda comes back to a harder hitting journalist with this article. I'm liking his return to this style of writing.

Disney World can use MyMagic+ to develop personalized sales pitches - Page 2 - Orlando Sentinel

blahhh....it seems to be glitchy while loading.

With MyMagic+, Mickey will watch where you go, what you do

October 5, 2013|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

Such sales pitches will eventually extend even beyond the parks. Disney's systems could reveal that a family had selected Ariel as a daughter's favorite character and that the family rode Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid multiple times while visiting the Magic Kingdom — which might prompt Disney to email the family coupons for Ariel merchandise.

The concept makes some theme-park fans uncomfortable.

"Disney's ability to do this — and do it in a way that doesn't jeopardize the information of guests — isn't something I'm entirely confident about," said Ingram Connor, a 25-year-old accounting clerk from Casselberry who visits Disney World about twice a month. "Will Chevrolet know I was hanging around the Corvette in the Test Track post-show 66 percent longer than the average guest does?"

Aware that many consumers have privacy concerns, Disney says it designed MyMagic+ to be optional. Visitors could choose to forgo MagicBands entirely, in favor of RFID-equipped cards that do not interact with the long-range readers.

Disney says it will use the data in MyMagic+ for marketing only if guests agree to it. Likewise, it says it won't sharethe information with other companies unless guests sign off first.

"We are fortunate that many of our guests want to communicate and have a relationship with us," Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said. "We are focused on sharing information with guests in a way that respects their relationship and enhances their experience."

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 10-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.