Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss There's Pooh on my map!!!! in the News & Rumors forums; I am curious to see what the playground looks like. Thanks for the info. I do know my kids will enjoy it!...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I am curious to see what the playground looks like. Thanks for the info. I do know my kids will enjoy it!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder
    When I read the title of this thread, I was like YUCK!
    It might be interesting for the kids and the young at heart. I wonder if MJ will like that area--I need exercise!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I made a trip to MGM yesterday, but I just had to jump over to MK for a few hours before closing just to see what this new Pooh thing had to offer its guests. Well, I went, I saw, and I left VERY disappointed.

I was at least hoping it was going to be a playground big enough for us big kids... umm, I mean, adults... to play as well as the little squirts. You know, kind of going along with Uncle Walt's idea of a place where both the young and the young at heart could have fun together? Well, Pooh's Playful Spot is first of all, a huge waste of space. It has like 4 things to play on, spread out over a very large area that easily could have provided much, much more to do. Oh yeah, and it's intended for little (and I mean little) kids.

Let's see, you can crawl through Pooh's front door and sit in a tiny chair and look out the window. You can climb up some crates and slide down a log-shaped slide. You can run through the "Floody Place" where water squirts up out of the ground. And you can walk across a bridge or two. I think that's about all there was to do there. How thrilling, don't you think? Even the littlest kids looked bored with it after 5 minutes.

I tried to take some pictures, but being that it was dark, and the lighting wasn't great, and I was contending with light rain on and off, I didn't really get anything good. I'll have to check it out again in the daylight for some better pics.

All I can say is that I really hope this is a short term attraction. This one's almost embarassing.

-Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Thanks for (what I think) is the first real onsite review of Pooh's Crummy Spot.

My fears about what this was to become have been realized...

Then again - this does lend some credibility to another huge rumor I've heard about for this area...
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I would have to agree with MAINSTREET it does look as tho even my dd would get quickly bored...wow a tree with a chair in it...and my gosh once your kid goes in there it seems as tho there is no dignified way to go in after them except on your hands and knees(geez even the small child in pic is bending over to get in) And dont they have enuf places for the kids to get wet as it is-do they realize how expensive those swim diapers are(tacky and just icky to have junior running thru the water with a saggy and I have seen sometimes nasty looking regular diaper) let alone having to lug around changes of clothing.
    If they were going to add a new playground at least they could have picked a character not already represented in Fantasyland like 101 Dalmations(educational yet fun-find all 101 puppies hiding from Cruella) or even just make it a photo op area with diff ride vehicles(so too short ppl can get their pics taken in them and of course include a MINI VERSION OF ONE OF THE SUBS) or Fantasia characters.
    Don't get me wrong I dont dislike Pooh(dont exactly like him either) but a little variety would have been good.

OK LOU....are you gonna keep teasing us with this "secret" or give us some more clues???....LOL
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    So we finally get a look at what replaced the classic...

I thought maybe this would be a good topic to post in, as I'd probably get shot-down for making a completely new one. Basically, today (September 5th) marks the eleventh anniversary of 20K's departure from the Magic Kingdom. It's kind of funny how barely eleven years on and Disney has only JUST re-used the site, or at least what I term as deliberately wasting space. Hopefully we'll get some creativity injected into the location with the addition of a proper E-ticket in years to come.

October 14th 1971 - September 5th 1994
    Last edited by 20K; 09-05-2005 at 03:33 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Sorry about your loss, 20K. . . . where can I send the flowers? (Just kidding! I couldn't agree with you more!)

My eyewitness review of the new playground is this:
    I was at MK on a Friday. . . . the crowds were thick because of the holiday. "Pooh's Playful Spot" was very peaceful because no parents wanted to make their older kids wait around while their 2-5 year old children ran around and had fun. For the most part, kids would go in and come out within about 10 min. . . . if that. We sat and had our snacks nearby for about 30 min. So we could check it out. The scenery is kind of nice if you are into Pooh, but not their best effort.

Kids on the younger end of the age range seemed to have a fine time, but the older kids (4-5) seemed confused that Pooh, Tigger, etc. Were not happily playing along with them. My 7-year old had the perfect explanation for their absence:
    They are always eating at the Crystal Palace. . . . they must be very hungry!
    She is small for her age so we let her run around a bit. She returned after 5 minutes and wanted to go on the teacups.

Our worst fears have happened, Disney has taken 11 years to turn a beloved classic into a lame playground for toddlers!
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    (sniff sniff)... I can almost smell a new thread being created...

"What was Disney thinking?" - dedicated to things that make you go "Hmmmm...")

[Lou once again showing his age and making an obscure reference to a bad dance song from many years ago]
    Lou Mongello

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreen
    Our worst fears have happened, Disney has taken 11 years to turn a beloved classic into a lame playground for toddlers!
    Exactly how I feel. I'm sorry, but a playground? Pathetic.
    They took an incredible attraction, which was the result of the combined efforts of many legendary imagineers, and turned it into a mediocre place-holder. I really hate being bitter here, but it is completely and absolutely pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreen
    Sorry about your loss, 20K. . . . where can I send the flowers? (Just kidding! I couldn't agree with you more!)
    No flowers please, shadesofgreen! They don't cope very well with the trans-atlantic flight! I am however more than willing to accept donations in the attraction's memory...
    Last edited by 20K; 09-05-2005 at 05:05 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    If this were not a Winnie the Pooh & friends playground, but a Mickey Mouse & Friends Playground.....would your thoughts still be the same on how awful this spot is?
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    If it were as lame looking as this one seems to be probably yeah. This is nothing against Pooh so please dont take offense WINNIE. Not Speaking for all but, most of us are mainly lamenting the fact that they removed a well loved ride and replaced it after many years with something so mediocre. We are not forming a We-Hate- The- Pooh-Playground Club yet ( well I'm not till after I see it next week..lol) My personal big issue is that with all the charcters to choose from why limit the kids to just Pooh Pooh Pooh...
    From the Pictures I have seen of the playarea ..(BTW--allearsnet.com has some very good pics) it just looks incrededbly boring and not very stimulating for the imagination part of the a childs brain and I have a VERY big major problem with the signage they have scattered around the area. I can see being authentic with Pooh's home sign with the backwards "S" but to make all the other signs the same way (all backwards and crooked lettering)is a bit of an overkill not to mention not good for the children that the area targets. What a thing for kids just learning to read to see such atrocious writing skills all over the place(I can see it now ...but MOM the pooh signs write like this) NOT GOOD and I do plan on mentioning it to the powers that be when I get there.

Oh and dont forget it did all start with a mouse not a bear.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485
    This is nothing against Pooh so please dont take offense WINNIE.
    Oh and dont forget it did all start with a mouse not a bear.
    First of all, I do take offense and am starting to get tired of people CONSTANTLY taking their frustrations out on a DISNEY character. It get's old after a while. It makes a person not want to be around these boards anymore, which I know is my personal choice and option. All several people have done is give certain characters (mainly WTP & Stitch lately) negative comments.

Secondly, I have NEVER forgotten that it started with a Mouse....I posted that somewhere once before. I am thankful for that mouse that started it all because it gives us a chance to relax, have fun, and enjoy ourselves once in a while.

Please stop ragging and being so negative over the characters that many other adults and children love.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I ADORE my pal Pooh. I hope the photos posted don't represent the play area well, as I'd like to see a really "special" play area if they are gonna have one there, ya know? And as for the age limit, that will really bum out my 8 year old, who worships pooh. Oh well. Guess we'll just hit the Pooh ride one more time to get our Pooh fix.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie

Please stop ragging and being so negative over the characters that many other adults and children love.

Winnie....with all due respect, I felt we all explained our non-love of Pooh in that thread you started. You do not have to agree, and you certainly don't. That's fine. I thought you understood that while many of us are tired of Pooh, we still enjoy him to a degree. Please do not take this personally. Our non-love of Pooh is NOT directed at you, but at Disney's oversaturation of this character at the expense of many others. Look at the merchandise data I provided you in another thread, you will see at one point in the 1990s Pooh outsold Mickey...yet it was all started by a mouse correct? You sure couldn't tell by the sales figures...

If we limited our conversation to only the postive Disney things we liked, it'd get pretty boring and possibly stale after awhile. I do not take personal offense when people verbalize their dislike of the Villains (yes I have seen that here), TNBC (also seen here), prefer Aladdin, TLK, or TLM to my personal favorite BATB, etc. And as much as I love BATB, I do not expect others to share my enthusiasm...and I am not surprised by some who don't like it and rag on about it. (Yes I have see this, but not here I don't think)

I think we all (yes I speaking for more than myself ) would be happy to see you stick around and participate on DWT, but why should we have to post according to your rules in regards to Pooh? And honestly, the anti-pooh sentiment here is NOTHING compared to what I have seen elsewhere.

If this were not a Winnie the Pooh & friends playground, but a Mickey Mouse & Friends Playground.....would your thoughts still be the same on how awful this spot is?
    I have not seen the new playground, but reports indicate it's not good, not much for the children, limits it to small children, adults can't play with their kids, etc.

If it were done the same way with Mickey instead of Pooh, I'd be upset with it as well. Why? Because it's a poorly designed "intermediate" attraction, and Disney brand deserves better and so the Disney fans. Walt himself started DL so he could have fun with the children, this new Pooh playground doesn't allow that. From the pictures I have seen, it looks boring. No change of themeing can fix the boringness or the no one above age 5 limit.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

All I can say is...

True

Lou Mongello

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast