Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Explosion rocks Epcot!!! in the News & Rumors forums; I know this is in no way humorous and I am glad no one was hurt. However, I did want to sing like Gaston: " And I'm roughly the size ...
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I know this is in no way humorous and I am glad no one was hurt.

However, I did want to sing like Gaston: " And I'm roughly the size of a barge!"

Goes good with those pictures.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I love my eggs cracked, Snow! Maybe that's why I like you so much!
    They call me "Nana"

WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!
    Alright everyone, I've got the official word. I was at Epcot last night just for Illuminations, and the barge was not out there. As two of the pyro people came off their boat to the dock, I stopped them and asked them about it.

Apparently Sunday night/Monday morning there was a pyro that went off prematurely and caused the barge to "explode." A large piece of metal was seen flying into the air, and because that is now gone, the barge is severely damaged. The pyro CMs said that the barge is out indeffinitely, but RoE DID run last night, just minus that whole effect.

So, as soon as I can get some more information and dates for when we can expect to see it back, I will let everyone know!
    *SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWScottieBoy
    Alright everyone, I've got the official word. I was at Epcot last night just for Illuminations, and the barge was not out there. As two of the pyro people came off their boat to the dock, I stopped them and asked them about it.

Apparently Sunday night/Monday morning there was a pyro that went off prematurely and caused the barge to "explode." A large piece of metal was seen flying into the air, and because that is now gone, the barge is severely damaged. The pyro CMs said that the barge is out indeffinitely, but RoE DID run last night, just minus that whole effect.

So, as soon as I can get some more information and dates for when we can expect to see it back, I will let everyone know!
    Just read about cause of the explosion on another site. Looks like it may be awhile before that effect returns, if ever. However, the safety of the CMs and the guests comes first.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Great reporting, Scott! Thanks for the on-site update.
    Also, thanks and welcome to DWT Colaboy!

Hopefully, they will be able to fix the problem and have it back in the show soon.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Following up, additional information was in today's MousePlanet: http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdat.../wdw050926.htm

Illuminations "inferno barge" damaged by explosion, removed from show indefinitely

Last Monday afternoon, an Air Launch Firework (ALF) shell detonated prematurely during setup of the “inferno barge”—the large barge in the center of World Showcase Lagoon responsible for the huge fire effects—for the Illuminations: Reflections of Earth show at Epcot. There were no injuries, but the launch tube was extensively damaged, and the barge (and all of its effects) have been removed from the show indefinitely, along with the other ALF system, located atop the United Kingdom pavilion.

What is known, thanks to cast members and eyewitnesses posting on the discussion forums at WDWMagic.com is this:

An explosion loud enough to draw guests out of shops around World Showcase rang out, and a slab of metal approximately three feet by three feet shot 25 feet into the air, landing in the water fifty feet away. After the initial smoke from the explosion, there was no additional smoke or fire (a good thing, considering how much fuel was aboard for the fire effects). Friendship boats were removed from service around the lagoon for the rest of the day.
    The barge will be out for an extended period of time while the cause of the explosion is determined and a method of preventing a reoccurrence is found. If and when it returns, it may need extensive repairs.
    In the meantime, while first-time viewers of Illuminations may not know that anything is missing or changed, there are two changes that those familiar with the sequence of the show will most notice: the loss of fire effects from the barge and the modification of the show's opening two-shell comet explosion effect.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Just for the record...

The news of this event was posted on DisneyWorldTrivia.com literally minutes after it happend... Saying it just to thank the members here for their on-the-sport reporting (even though no one else gives us credit for "breaking" the story)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Yay! Go us! Down with WDWMagic!

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Just for the record...

The news of this event was posted on DisneyWorldTrivia.com literally minutes after it happend...

And much more accurate here as well. The moseplanet link above has many incorrect items in it about the event.

Go DWT team!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    The help of the members of the DWT family Team is beyond compare. Thanks to all of you (especially that nameless someone who whispered to me about the explosion just moments after it occurred! - I owe you one )
    Lou Mongello

Belle1313 is offline When I Wish Upon A Star, I Wish To Go To WDW
    WOW! This is the only sight that has any thing about this on it! I'm happy no one got hurt!

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Great Reporting

Great reporting on DWT.com....It is always nice to hear these things on this sight.

-Scott

P.S. - I am just a little behind on the Disney News.
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

Thanks to all of the DWT Army whose on-the-spot reporting makes this site a success!! If anyone else hears/sees/smells anything... be sure to let us know!!!
    Lou Mongello

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    We're just too good...

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything about when/if the show will return to its pre-*poof* status?

I'm trying to plan which parks to visit on my next day trip (probably next week), and as usual, about half that decision is based on which nighttime show I plan on seeing.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast