Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Explosion rocks Epcot!!! in the News & Rumors forums; From the DisneyWorldTrivia.com News page: The inferno barge, responsible for many of the spectacular effects for the Illuminations fireworks show in the World Showcase lagoon, exploded today at Epcot. The ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Exclamation Explosion rocks Epcot!!!

From the DisneyWorldTrivia.com News page:

The inferno barge, responsible for many of the spectacular effects for the Illuminations fireworks show in the World Showcase lagoon, exploded today at Epcot. The explosion could be heard thoughout the park and nearby Boardwalk resort area.

There have been no reports of any injuries at this time. The barge sits in the middle of the lagoon, far from Guests, but does normally contain two Cast Members inside during the show.

"IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth," is a nighttime spectacular filled with the fiery glow of torches, a high-energy soundtrack, sky-piercing lasers and thunderous fireworks. The Inferno Barge weighs in at 150,000 pounds, and has 37 nozzles that shoot propane flames to the sky. The energy produced is equivalent to 1.7 Million horsepower.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Wow! Hope that the CM's were not injured. Wonder what happened?

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Details.. Details... who has the Details??

mickaholic4077 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    OMG!!!! I hope no one was hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Let us know when there is some more information!

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    I called around trying to find out some information but I got a few different stories:
    Boardwalk CMs were like "What explosion?"

Security CMs said that the barge went off by itself while they were testing it and they might have to cancel Illuminations tonight while they investigate.

Maintenance CMs said that periodically they blow off excess propane that builds up in the barge, perfectly normal, happens all the time.

Epcot Guest Relations CMs said that they were testing fireworks and preferred not to give out any other details at this time.

Probably is a combination of all of the above.
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 09-19-2005 at 10:05 AM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Jst checked with Disney BDWLK and MEDIA, and they are calling it "testing of new fireworks". Im sure it is just to keep the hype down and to not cause panic. And that is the a 9:51am update. PLEASE if someone can get and INSIDE SCOOP of if it was Explosion or Test, it would be very much appreciated.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Interesting regardless of conflicting reports.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder
    this is a little scary. Hope no one was hurt. Keep us posted.
    Second star to the right....straight on till morning!!!:mickey:

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    here's a real lame pic of the firework crew from last Saturday night:

they came up out of nowhere to pick up one of the dude's on the shore.. I was so excited to see them, it becomes evident in the exposure.

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    they looked suprised lol
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

Crazy Hakim is offline A-Ticket holder
    Last night, Sept 19th, the Flame Barge was not included in the presentation of IllumiNations, in fact the barge was not in the lake. We assume it was in the dry dock area, sort of behind Germany.

colaboy is offline A-Ticket holder
    The explosion happened Sunday afternoon around 3 PM. My friend is manager for the Tower Shops and she was in one of the buildings when the explosion happened. She said the freindship boats were shut down immediately (wise choice) and emergency and maintenance crews were there to inspect the barge and clean up some debris floating in the water. She believes it must have been a propane tank.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    This is the first incident of this type since the barge was introduced, and there is no defintive answer as yet as to the cause. Disney inspectors, as well as an outside company are investigating. Illuminations will continue, but without the barge in the show. Also, no injuries were reported.

You should note that although the barge will not be featured until the investigation and any repairs are complete, the Illuminations show is excellent nonetheless, and you should still be sure you see it during your visit. Also, I can't recommend highly enough an Illuminations cruise on a pontoon boat or (my personal favorite), on the Breathless! (Be sure to ask for Mike as your captain! Tell him Lou sent ya!)

Stay tuned to DisneyWorldTrivia.com for the "inside" scoop on this event!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    When I was in Epcot in August, we had stopped at the Refreshment Port for a drink when the drawbridge opened and they brought all the barges out for that evening's performance. You can get a real close-up view of the Globe and the barges then. Here are two pics of the Inferno Barge. I have some of the others too if anyone is interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Explosion rocks Epcot!!!-infernobarge1.jpg   Explosion rocks Epcot!!!-infernobarge2.jpg  
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast