Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Boy Who Died On Disney Ride Had Heart Condition in the News & Rumors forums; Autopsy: Boy Who Died On Disney Ride Had Heart Condition Sellersville Boy Had Abnormal Heart Rhythms ORLANDO, Fla. -- The death of a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy after he went on ...
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

Boy Who Died On Disney Ride Had Heart Condition

Autopsy: Boy Who Died On Disney Ride Had Heart Condition
    Sellersville Boy Had Abnormal Heart Rhythms

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The death of a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy after he went on a rocket-ship ride at Walt Disney World was caused by abnormal cardiac rhythms from a heart condition that he apparently had since birth, according to an autopsy released Tuesday.

Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Bucks County, Pa., died after riding "Mission: Space" in June. He had an abnormality of the heart muscle called idiopathic myocardial hypertrophy, with fibroelastosis of the left ventricle, the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office said.

"People with this condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their life due to abnormal electrical heart rhythms," the medical examiner's office said. "This risk could be increased under physical or emotional stressful situations. This condition may also eventually lead to heart failure."

The $100 million Epcot ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but reopened after company engineers concluded it was operating normally.

"Mission: Space" spins riders in a giant centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity, and it is so intense that some riders have been taken to the hospital with chest pain.
    http://www.nbc10.com/news/5330235/detail.html
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Thank you for sharing this. I feel sorry for the parents.

It's such a sad thing, but you just knew there had to be a pre existing condition. My heart and prayers go out to his family. I cannot imagine that every happening to me.

MKRsrtMonorail is offline B-Ticket Holder
    any truth to the rumor they are going to install abort buttons on the attraction for future medical/psychological problems guests may be having?
    :mickey:

Quote Originally Posted by MKRsrtMonorail
    any truth to the rumor they are going to install abort buttons on the attraction for future medical/psychological problems guests may be having?
    I haven't heard of that and in this particular case, from what I have heard it wouldn't have made a difference. According to reports the Mother didn't even know there was anything wrong until after the ride was over and it probably happened so fast to the little boy that he didn't even have a chance to do anything.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I am glad the parents finally have an answer. Sad that he was not diagnosed with this prior to their trip. So sad...
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I really feel sorry for the family. I cannot imagine losing a child, especially during a vacation. However, as I posted on an earlier thread I saw an interview with some of their neighbors just after the incident who said the child had health problems from the time he was born. Sometimes I don't think we use our brains to capacity. And I'm not pointing at the parents because I know as a parent I have allowed my children to do things and after the fact regretted not thinking it out further. I'm just thankful the consequences weren't as damaging or permanent.
    They call me "Nana"

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Is this the boy who died a while ago? and they are just finding it out? Or is this a whole new case.
    It's so sad, I just hope it is not a new thing. I can't even imagine it.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    This is that old one. it happened over the summer I think. I don't remember exactly when, but anyway, no it's not a new one.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

It happened in June. It was 10 days before our trip and my Dad was begging me not to let Parker go on the ride. Needless to say, he rode it 5 times with my Husband.

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    And they BLAMED Disney for his death!
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    That actually happened when my family and I were there this summer. We went to EPCOT the day after with no idea what had happened. The line for Mission:Space was only 15 minutes in the stand-by entrance. When we went back to our hotel for a swim, we turned on the TV and bam-there it was. I feel very sorry for the parents and family, but I still don't believe that M:S is a young child's ride. A question about the topic, does Disney really have a policy that if a child des not want to go on a ride, they won't let parents out them on it?
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    This article talks about both the death of the boy riding on Mission Space and another death that occurred in Typhoon Lagoon. I still haven't seen any updates on the girl that passed away after riding Tower of Terror.

Autopsy shows boy died at Disney from heart condition

ORLANDO - Two youths who died in separate incidents this summer at Walt Disney World both succumbed to irregular heartbeats linked to natural causes, the medical examiner's office said Tuesday.

Daudi Bamuwamye, a 4-year-old who died in June after the rocketship ride ''Mission: Space,'' had an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle caused by a condition present since birth, doctors said.

Jerra Kirby, a 12-year-old from Newport News, Va. who suddenly collapsed at Typhoon Lagoon water park in August, died from arrhythmia caused by an early-stage viral heart infection, medical officials determined.

The formal conclusion for Daudi's cause of death was idiopathic myocardial hypertrophy with fibroelastosis of the left ventricle, a disorder which can throw heart contractions out of coordination.

''People with this condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their life due to abnormal electrical heart rhythms,'' medical examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia wrote. ''This risk could be increased under physical or emotional stressful situations. This condition may also eventually lead to heart failure.''

The $100 million Epcot space ride was closed after Daudi's death but reopened after company engineers concluded it was operating normally. It spins riders in a centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity.

One warning sign posted last year in front of the ride read: ''For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure.''

Typhoon Lagoon was open the day after Jerra's death because park officials determined nothing was wrong with the wave simulation pool she collapsed by.

Disney officials released only a two-sentence statement Tuesday that read: ''Our sympathies are with the families during this difficult time. In regard to the reports, we believe they speak for themselves.''

Robert Samartin, a Tampa-based lawyer who represents Daudi's parents, said the family would have no specific comment until they've had more time to review the report.

''Mr. and Mrs. Bamuwamye and their daughter, Ruthie, remain crushed by this devastating loss. They would like to thank everyone for their continued thoughts and prayers,'' Samartin said in a statement.

He didn't return a phone message seeking additional comment. The boy's mother, Agnes Bamuwamye, didn't have a listed telephone number.

No additional information or contact telephone number was available for Kirby's family.
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie_Mouse007
    And they BLAMED Disney for his death!
    who are you referring to as "they"???? I don't think that the family ever blamed Disney. It's just that the media jumped on the story and rumors started flying. Obviously, Disney had to investigate to rule out any chance that the ride could have been at fault.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Well I'm glad the parnets have some closuer to their child death. It not that he died that probaly was killiing them, it the fact they wanted answers to why their small child was taken away from them so soon. I'm so glad they got the answers they needed and deserve to here. Now I hope the media will stop jumping to conclusions when it comes to thing like this and stop trying to make Disney out to be a scapegoat.

My prayers go out this family.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast