Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Monorail Accident in the News & Rumors forums; i heard something about how yesterday a monorail broke down and had to be pushed but it was accidentally hit instead. anyone heard about this?...
    ksa1314 is offline A-Ticket holder

Exclamation Monorail Accident

i heard something about how yesterday a monorail broke down and had to be pushed but it was accidentally hit instead. anyone heard about this?

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I have not heard about it but would like to know more...
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    I was working yesterday, and nothing of that magnitude happened, at least to my knowledge. The monorail system has been hving problems the past few days and has broken down to the point of stalling guest mid-rail for a few minutes but an accident...it is not likely to happen, and all the monorails were looking in good shape!!
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    interesting....the one time I got to ride up front, they did a test on the system.
    if the trains get within a certain distance of each other, there is an autostop mechanism....of some sorts...
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    My sources don't yet have any information on this, so I'd take it with a grain of salt...

There is a system to keep the monorails separated by a certain distance. It's called MAPO (after the MaPo (Mary Poppins) group at Disney who designed it. It's a moving blocklight system - it basically requires a certain spacing between trains, and if that spacing is not maintained, it'll stop the train. Hard. (I've been on a monorail going about 30 MPH during a MAPO overrun. (It was a deadhead, and they were testing something. So it was intentional and I knew it was coming. But it was a very short stop).

There's more info about this at the Monorail FAQ

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    It's a moving blocklight system - it basically requires a certain spacing between trains, and if that spacing is not maintained, it'll stop the train. Hard.
    That one word -"hard"- kinda caught me by suprise for some reason. I guess I just wasn't expecting to hear about an e-brake of sort on the monorails because through monorail pilots and radio communication and such, they always seem to keep the trains spaced pretty well. I figured there had to be some sort of brake for "just in case", but I never imagined it being a "hard" stop, especially considering how many people are usually standing on those trains. I almost had to laugh, picturing it.

...And people thought that Stitch plastered to the window was a sticker! Nah, he was just onboard during the MaPo test!

(BTW, anyone else keep thinking of breakfast when they hear MaPo?)
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

They do test it with Guests on board, but they are at a very low speed.

Overruns are pretty rare. Generally when they happen, I imagine that it's at a very low speed, almost stopped.

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    We stopped on the way to the Contemporary for a swim on a very hot day...the driver stopped for a bird on the track!
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

Confirmed of sorts.

Protein Spill has a take on it. (hey, do the poor guy a favor and click on an ad at the top while you're there... )

(note: it appears a CM was hospitalized after being pinned between the tractor and monorail yellow...)

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    Confirmed of sorts.

Protein Spill has a take on it. (hey, do the poor guy a favor and click on an ad at the top while you're there... )
    site is blocked for me here at work....can you update us?
    Last edited by GaRain; 12-15-2005 at 10:28 AM.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

figment'smoose is offline E-Ticket Holder
    i read that there was something that went wrong but it wasn't anything huge so they sent out this tractor thing on the rails that they usually send out to fix it. well unfortuneately the tractor somehow collided with the monorail pinning the CM between the two. he had a couple of broken bones but was recovering in a normal level room.

ksheehan99 is offline A-Ticket holder

Unhappy Monorail Accident 11/26/05

WDW Monorail Accident Reported

There is a report of an accident on the Walt Disney World Monorail system on Saturday. Sounds like the 'tugger', a gas powered service vehicle, ran into monorail yellow. The tugger was approaching to service the stalled monorail but collided with it instead causing damage to the nose cone of Yellow and its front window to pop out. No injuries to anyone on the monorail have been reported, but it sounds like the tender driver did go to the hospital with injuries. This appears to have been confirmed by a cast member as well.

That said I can't find any main stream media news coverage of it. This is one of the real differences between Orlando and Anaheim. Any accident that happens at the Disneyland Resort gets news coverage with helicopters overhead. In Orlando, news of the incident rarely even leaves the property

Mark Goldhaber is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ksheehan99
    monorail yellow
    stalled monorail
    If it's Monorail Yellow, "stalled" is usually pronounced "blue-screened"