Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Any news on how WDW fared after Charley? in the News & Rumors forums; Can anyone tell us how WDW held up after the Hurricane? How is everyone that was staying there while it hit? Any news?...
    crashbunny is offline Moderator

Any news on how WDW fared after Charley?

Can anyone tell us how WDW held up after the Hurricane? How is everyone that was staying there while it hit?
    Any news?

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by crashbunny
    Can anyone tell us how WDW held up after the Hurricane? How is everyone that was staying there while it hit?
    Any news?
    I guess WDW is OK, except for AK and Fort Wilderness. Got that info from www.disneyworld.com Who would have thought that the hurricane would hit the Orlando area? From what I know this is first time for direct hit.

I have seen some pics on TV of downed trees and a lot of debris from trees and other plant material. There seems to be quite a few signs down on the roads. They were showing aerial pics of the MK and while crowds were light the park seemed OK.

Hopefully, all the members will keep the families who have lost loved ones and/or lost their homes in their thoughts and prayers. I am quite familiar with the Naples area as we used to visit from 1975 to 1999. I have been to Punta Gorda many times. What a tragedy! That area has a lot of older folks who have nowhere to go now.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    One reason I heard DAK did not open Fri/Sat is not so much damage as the time involved in moving animals to/from shelter.

I heard that at Jungle Cruise, WDWRR, Timekeeper, the Main St. Vehicles did not open with the park at the MK today... And there was no FASTPASS anywhere at WDW. But not much info beyond that.

A few trees down in the parks and many more in the surrounding area, but nothing too bad. (Heard one went down in the Hub at the MK)

disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder
    just a word and a prayer for all those people in Punta Gorda and surrounding area. God Bless you all.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I posted it in another thread. the eye stayed below I4 so Disney was lucky. The higher winds on property were closer to I4. Dntn had a few problems as did AK and Typhoon. I will be posting pics tomorrow.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    One reason I heard DAK did not open Fri/Sat is not so much damage as the time involved in moving animals to/from shelter.
    Do you mean that the animals were taken off site somewhere? Or would did clean up just run so late in the park Saturday that the park would have had to open late?

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

NeedMagic is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi!
    We were in WDW from Aug 7-18, so also on Friday 13th, a day I'll never forget. In the morning we visited Epcot. At the entrance we got a letter telling us that it was possible that due to the hurricane the park would close at 1 pm. FastPass didn't work and some restaurants didn't open at all. At 1 pm there was the message that the park was closing. All rides and shops closes immediatly and every CM told you to leave the park. Everywhere there ware preparations for Charley: trashcans removed, carts were secured to the ground, ...
    Around 2 pm we checked in at Coronado Springs (we changed hotel that day). The lady at the desk told us it was the best to go to the room asap and wait there. On our way we passed the Pepper Market, with a huge queue in front of it. We went to our room but then started thinking about dinner. Meanwhile there was a message on our phone to tell that until 7 pm you could go to the restaurant etc, but after that you had to stay in your room for your own safety.
    We decided to go to the shop for some food. Too bad everything was gone :only one (1!) bag of chips left. I went to guest services and they told me room service was still availble. So we went back to our room and tried to call room service for half on hour, but didn't get in. I called guest services and they told room services had stopped. So we went to Pepper Market, queued for one hour and took the food to our room. Meanwhile there was another message on our phone telling that dinner was also availble at the convention centre, for only 7 USD.
    We had also recieved a lettre asking us to stay in our room after 7 pm with curtains closed and doors unlocked. On tv they showed various Disney movies: Bugs Life, Finding Nemo and Brother Bear.
    So the rest of the night we stayed in our room watching the news and being scared. :-) Luckily nothing serious happened. There was a lot of wind and rain, but no serious dammage close to our room. And we never were without elektricity.
    I guess you already know how it was in the parks the next day: AK and typhoon Lagoon closed, minor dammage in other parks. If you have any questions, just ask. :-)

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Glad to hear that you and your family were safe during the storm- I'll bet it was a trip that you'll never forget! Did everything go OK for you after the storm? You came a long way for this trip - hope it was good!

Sounds like you were treated decent at Coronado. I wish we would have had power the whole time. Had we had more time to prep for the storm after our move we would have went to Disney for the night knowing they would keep power and have great enteratinment. Glad you and the family are safe.

Wow, that sure is a Friday the 13th you will never forget. Did you get any discount on the room for your inconvience at the Market or Room Service?
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

NeedMagic is offline A-Ticket holder
    After the storm everything went ok for us. The parks were open next day (except Animal kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon), only FastPass didn't work.
    We didn't get any discount or compensation. Guess it costed enough for Disney with all the damage they had.
    That night and the next days we thougt a lot about the people living around WDW having much more problems then we did.

LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder

Exclamation Disney pics of hurricane Charlie

Someone sent me these pics. Let me know what you think...

http://www.mkt3000.com/pics/hurricanecharley/

Well folks here are some pics you all have been waiting for.

First the Disney damage:

Sign Down on World Drive

Pleasure Island Sign

Downtown Westside (Cirque)

Now lets back up to the Storm arriving

First Band of the Hurricane

Funnel Cloud forming (this is in my neighborhood - oh what fun) It never made it to the ground.

The morning after....

KFC on 192

Bilboard on 192

McDonald's on 192

Gift Shop on 192

Ready for a swim?

Missing shingles What is really bad is the interior of these places. Most houses had ceilings collapse because of the water and the places are not livable.

Found the shingles

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    One of the most upsetting things about those houses missing shingles, and as you rightly pointed out often losing interior ceilings because of it, especially in these inland, away from the ocean cases, is that often the damge is more due to shoddy workmanship as much as the storm. I'm not sure if that happens as much in Florida where builders are so aware that thier work may be exposed to hurricanes, but here in Charlotte a lot of such work was exposed when Huricane Hugo came through here some years ago.
    My cousin in Davenport reported they were "without electricity until Sunday evening. Our house had minimal damage, a few sheets of fencing and some soffit/fascia is gone. We were actually fairly lucky considering what could have been."
    I hear stuff like this, or see the pictures of the forest that hugo leveled when it came inland in a thinly poulated area and think how lucky we are that these things don't come in right through the middle of towns more often, as was unfortunatly the case with Charlie, though I think we can still all be glad that it did not come inland at Tampa as was projected as a possibility for a while, that, almost certainly, would have cost even more lives.
    Last edited by bigbrian-nc.com; 08-30-2004 at 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    Well folks here are some pics you all have been waiting for.

First the Disney damage:

Sign Down on World Drive

Pleasure Island Sign

Downtown Westside (Cirque)

Now lets back up to the Storm arriving

First Band of the Hurricane

Funnel Cloud forming (this is in my neighborhood - oh what fun) It never made it to the ground.

The morning after....

KFC on 192

Bilboard on 192

McDonald's on 192

Gift Shop on 192

Ready for a swim?

Missing shingles What is really bad is the interior of these places. Most houses had ceilings collapse because of the water and the places are not livable.

Found the shingles
    Thanks for the pics. I have been to all those places in Kissimee. I feel so sorry for all the people in Florida. The Sunday Indianapolis newspaper pointed out there are 65 electrical trucks from IN in FL restoring power.

I personally know what a heroic job they do restoring power in the worst of conditions. We had a horrible ice storm in March of 1991 and were without power for 2 weeks!!! Luckily the storm struck right before Spring Break and we spent a week of the 2 weeks without power in FL. However, the few nights before leaving,the temp in the house was down to 45 degrees. Stores were selling $300 generators for $1,000 and getting it. The best and worst comes out of humans during tradegies.

*Off Property

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast