Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Woman Dies on Mission: Space in the News & Rumors forums; WFTV Orlando Sentinel A 49-year-old woman from Germany died Wednesday after riding Walt Disney World's Mission:Space ride, the second death in less than a year associated with the signature thrill ...
    Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope

Unhappy Woman Dies on Mission: Space

WFTV

Orlando Sentinel

A 49-year-old woman from Germany died Wednesday after riding Walt Disney World's Mission:Space ride, the second death in less than a year associated with the signature thrill ride.

The woman died at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, where she was taken Tuesday after becoming sick following the mock space flight at Epot, according to a statement released late Wednesday by the theme park.

"We learned today that her condition had become very serious, and this evening we were notified she passed away," the statement said in part.

About midday Wednesday, Disney officials called the state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection to report the woman's condition.

They said the woman got off the ride and was dizzy, nauseated and generally not feeling well, said Terence McElroy , spokesman for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which oversees the fair rides bureau.

Disney also told state inspectors that the woman may have suffered from high blood pressure and other health problems, McElroy said.

About 4:45 p.m. Wednesday, Disney officials called the state agency again to say the woman's condition was grave, and the ride was going to be shut down immediately. It had been operating normally, Disney officials told the fair bureau.

A department field inspector was sent out about 7 p.m. Wednesday to observe Disney's routine checks of the ride, McElroy said.

Florida's largest amusement parks, including Walt Disney World, are exempt from state regulations that require mandatory reporting of injuries and give the state authority to shut down and inspect rides. Disney voluntarily submits to safety inspections.

A report on the status of the ride would not be available until at least Thursday McElroy said.

Disney did not release the German tourist's identity or other details about the incident.

"I don't have permission from the guests to release any information," Disney spokesman Bill Warren said Wednesday night.

Up to 160 customers at a time can ride the giant centrifuge which spins them at 2 G-forces, or twice the force of Earth's gravity, on the fantasy flight to Mars. Numerous signs advise anyone suffering from heart disease and other illnesses not to board the ride.

Concerns about the safety of the 4-minute ride were first raised when it opened in August 2003 and some riders complained of dizziness and nausea.

In December that year, motion-sickness bags were added to the "capsules" to prevent cleanup-related delays.

The death in June 2005 of 4-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye renewed safety concerns when he collapsed while riding with his mother and sister.

An autopsy showed the child died from a rare, undiagnosed heart disease unrelated to the ride, according to Orange-Osceola Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia.

Bamuwamye's parents asked Disney to raise the ride's minimum height requirement from 44 to 51 inches to exclude young children, but Disney declined.

A review of ambulance records by the Orlando Sentinel showed medical attention was sought by only 143 of more than 8.6 million people who took the ride before Bamuwamye's death. Disney posts paramedics within a 2-minute golf cart ride of Mission: Space.

In its written statement about Wednesday's death, Disney stated, "First and foremost, our concern is for the guest's family. We offer them our deepest sympathies and assistance during this difficult time."

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    I was just about to past something about this...it really is a shame! My condolences go out to this woman and her family.

However, it does say she suffered from high blood pressure and other conditions...why oh why don't people pay attention to the warning that they play about 15 times per minute?
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

jmoss1980 is offline A-Ticket holder
    some obviously don't think that the 'rules' apply to them, unfortunatly.

GoofysMommy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    But it says she was German, she may not know any of the languages the requirements are written in. And then again Disney can't make a board with every single language. I think basically it's just one of those things that happens. This is not Disney or this woman's fault. My boyfriend suggested the requirements be made into a picture form... I dunno really what to say except I'll pray for the woman and her family.
    Chellie the Pirate Princess

Goofy Paul Anka Lunt

My Billy loves to eat !

http://www.myspace.com/goofysmommy

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I came on this morning to post this news story, but I see it's already been done. Man this place is up on the latest happenings fast. Lou should be proud.

But on another note, sad to hear of another death possibly tied to M:S. How much more of this negative publicity can that ride take?
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Sorry to hear this. Wonder if Disney will eventually step in. Might they do some kind of a medical release form to ride, etc.? I dunno.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by olmec26
    why oh why don't people pay attention to the warning that they play about 15 times per minute?
    well, to be fair, not everybody gets their blood pressure checked regularly, so some people may not even know they have high blood pressure....or they ignore the warning they play every 15 minutes.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    I just saw this too, and i don't understand why alot of people don't get that message through their head.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    The other thing is that almost all the people that have died have had undiagnosed heart conditions
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    While this is a sad tragedy, think of the number of people who have ridden Mission: Space and compare those to the number of injuries. I'm sure the ratio of those injured (Not including motion sickness) is extremely low compared to the number who have ridden it.

If folks are going to come to a place as massive as Disney World, it's a good idea to get a physical of some sort before you go on vacation. She very well may have died simply walking up to EPCOT's main gate or riding one of the less intense rides. I know most people have various reasons they don't want to go to the doctor, but if you're going to be going on some sort of major vacation it's just a good idea to get one. My family and I get one every 1-2 years as a type of "preventative matinence" just so we're always knowing what's going on.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Contemporary05
    If folks are going to come to a place as massive as Disney World, it's a good idea to get a physical of some sort before you go on vacation.
    I was going to add the same comment.

I've never been on the ride, I've had my doubts as to if I'd enjoy it due to the spinning. I'm beginning to think it's not worth the risk, pre-trip physical or not, but that's just me!

Is Disney getting perhaps a little too intense in the thrill ride department?

GoofysMommy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I dunno... I've been on it atleast 5 times in the last 3 months. I haven't felt anything but a happy rush (I wanted to be a astronaut when I was little...) and I don't think I am going to start feeling anything.

Disney should make the regulations into picture form, so everyone can interpret the pictures... I think that could be done with some thinking. A pregnant woman with a big circle around it and a slash over her a-la no smoking signs...
    Chellie the Pirate Princess

Goofy Paul Anka Lunt

My Billy loves to eat !

http://www.myspace.com/goofysmommy

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    It's so sad that another fatality has been linked to Mission Space. My condolences to the family.

Two thoughts came to me while reading the other posts:

1) It's important to know your body and to be aware of any possible health problems. The article didn't say whether the guest was aware of her condition, but I got the impression that she was and choose to ignore the warnings.
    2) I know park guides are printed in various languages, but I don't know if cautions for certain rides are printed in them. Just as a precaution, I would think that in the near future, guests could be provided with an audio button they can push as they prepare to enter a ride that tells them, in the language of their choice, important safety information. I recently went on a tour that offered the same type of technology. It would be a piece of cake for Disney to do that.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

Arrow

They have reopened Mission: Space. (1 hour, 26 minutes ago)

Walt Disney World reopened its "Mission: Space" attraction Thursday because engineers found it was operating properly, a day after a woman who became ill when she got off the ride died at a hospital.

Read the whole story here....
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    I love rides like crazy, and I will never EVER go on Mission: Space again. I went a couple years ago and it made me sick for hours.

I do think that Disney should make the height requirements taller so that small children need to wait a few years... I would never let a four year old on the ride. I wonder if the "Ears to the World" (is that what those are called, the translator ears??) talk about ride regulations.

KUNGALOOSH!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast