Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Milder Mission: Space Open! in the News & Rumors forums; Check it out: http://www.local6.com/news/9243351/detail.html...
    wmxxmsg is offline C-Ticket Holder

Milder Mission: Space Open!

wow...knew it was coming, but happened much quicker than they originally stated it would. Originally they said "later this Summer" due to logistics and signage. Interesting.....

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    did anyone go today? I'd love to hear about it.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    My parents would definitely ride that...I'll tell you in a wk how it was!
    The Goofy Princess

wmxxmsg is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Yeah same here, I am leaving Sunday for Disney, I am definatly ride both of them back to back to see the difference.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    The new update sounds interesting. I hope it works out.

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Wow, that was fast. Good job Imagineers.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I wonder if they were pushed to get it running.

magickingdom67 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I wouldn't doubt if this was a high priority task. I think the amount of bad PR this attraction has gotten needed to be dealt with quickly.

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando

Thumbs up Benjo's Review of Mission: Space: Green Team (Spoiler Alert)

I was lucky enough to be at Disney World this past weekend and decided to check out the new less intense version of Mission Space. Now, I have to say that I love the original version of the ride and I was very skeptical of how the less intense version would turn out. Honestly, I was expecting it to be pretty lame. OK, now that I've gotten my disclaimer out of the way, on with the review.

My wife and I headed over to Epcot around noon (after spending the morning at AK riding Everest 5 times!). We headed straight over to Mission Space. CM's were outside the attraction handing out two different colored flight tickets and explaining the difference between the two attractions. The orange ticket was for the original version of the ride. The green ticket was for the new, less intense version:

Each ticket also had a little explanation of the version of the ride, i.e spinning or no spinning, and the safety warnings. (The only safety warning on the green ticket was that expectant mothers should not ride). Both also warned about being in an enclosed space. The height requirement remained the same for both versions.

Now, the Fast Pass lane is in the same spot as usual, and both green and orange tickets with fast passes go through the same line. The old single ride lane is now used for the green tickets and the old regular standby lane is used for orange tickets:

On Saturday, only 3 of the 4 flight rooms were being used, 1 for green tickets and 2 for orange. Both versions of the ride were posting a wait of 20 minutes. So, with the waits being the same, I would say that it looked like more people were still riding the original orange version, as it can accomodate more people at one time.

OK, on to the actual ride. I was honestly thrilled by how good the less intense version on the ride is. It is the same movie as in the original ride. The vehicle is tilted so that you are still on your back facing up for lift off. Between the tilting, the shaking and rumbling and the air blowing in yor face, you still feel as though you are moving upwards into space. The only difference is there there isn't the feeling of pressure on your face and chest (We also rode the more intense version of the ride just after to get a good sense of the difference). We were able to look all around the cabin and at each other during the ride, which was a pleasant change to the original.

I would not at all hesitate to ride this version again, and I really don't think you are missing too much of the experience by taking the less intense route. It should be great for those with motion sickness problems or general health problems, and especially younger children.

I hope this helps, and I'd be happy to answer and questions!

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Thanks for the info, I look forward to giving the new version a try....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Does anyone know if they will send the single riders through the fastpass line?
    GO RED SOX!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiyalater
    Does anyone know if they will send the single riders through the fastpass line?
    I'm not sure how they'll manage that, since there was definitely no sign for it on Saturday. However, with a less than 20 minute stand-by, only very few people had Fastpasses, so the single rider line may not be necessary.

that's true but what about when it gets really long. They could do a thing like they do for some of the rides where they give you a special ticket and have you go in the fp line
    GO RED SOX!!!!

Great point. That's how they managed the Single Rider line at Expedition Everest when we were there, and then there's a short split off at the end. They would certainly have room in the middle lane of the queue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast