Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Hotel Royal Plaza @ DTD, CLOSED! in the News & Rumors forums; AllEarsNet.com reported today that the Hotel Royal Plaza (a downtown Disney hotel) has closed temporarily, effective immediately, and are not taking reservations through Feb. 28, 2005. Anybody know why? Hurricane ...
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Hotel Royal Plaza @ DTD, CLOSED!

AllEarsNet.com reported today that the Hotel Royal Plaza (a downtown Disney hotel) has closed temporarily, effective immediately, and are not taking reservations through Feb. 28, 2005.

Anybody know why? Hurricane damage or money troubles?

It has been a long time since I stayed there, but Royal Plaza was a nice DTD hotel, reasonable in cost and 'almost' as good as on-site.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Not sure if it was the storms or not. I know there is one DTD hotel that is in $$$ trouble. Don't remember which one though.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I believe this was due to financial troubles... I know I posted some time ago about a Disney resort closing here... have to go look for it... be right back.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    That was a nice hotel. While we never stayed there, we know quite a few people who did and they thought the place was very good. I imagine it's a result of supply and demand. With Disney opening the first phase of PC and eventually the second, it is just too convenient not to stay on property. I wonder if Disney will buy the hotel?
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    I wonder if Disney will buy the hotel?
    IMHO, Probably not, since they already have more than they need (which is why it is taking so long for PC to open completely). They would probably try to get some other chain to take it over first. Maybe if there were no takers, Disney would step in if only to keep from having a boarded up hotel on its grounds.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I'm emailing the resort o find out why they are closed. Yes Grosvenor filed banruptcy protection. But the Hotel Royal Plazas announcement does not seem to indicate that. I didn't find anything about a filing by HRP on the sentinals web site (as there was for Grosvenor) besides, the all ears anouoncement read:
    ACCOMMODATIONSEffective immediately the Hotel Royal Plaza is temporarily closed. No reservations accepted through February 28, 2005.

The fact they they have an end date to the no reservations time suggests that this is more likely related to renovations.

BTW the HRP is the hotel where the "aerial View" photos of the Walt Disney World preview center as it appears today (AAU Headquarters)featured in the pre opening cards section of my site.

http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/wdw-pc02.htm

The Hotel Royal plaza itself is featured on the following page:
    http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/wdw-pc51.htm

on one of those cards you can see the glass elevator that the pictures on the other page were taken from.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Thank you, Brian! I had checked the HRP web site, which had no indication of it being closed except when I tried to make a reservation I couldn't click on any of the dates.

I took a look at the links you posted, and WOW do you have an interesting site! You obviously have done a lot of research and have a love for you topic! I'll be back to explore it further!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

well...it's a reply

I got a reply from the Hotel Royal plaza, they still did not give me the "why" of the closing, So I replied with that part of my question again, if the respond I'll post that here too.

Heres the reply I got from the HRP:

Right now it is through January 14th, 2005

Have a "Magical Day"
    Scott Fries
    Hotel Royal Plaza in the Walt Disney World Resort
    Director of Reservations
    407-827-3420
    407-828-8046 fax

-----Original Message-----
    Posted At: Saturday, September 11, 2004 11:34 AM
    Posted To: Orlando Sales
    Conversation: HRP Closed?
    Subject: HRP Closed?

I just read the following at allearsnet.com

ACCOMMODATIONS
    Effective immediately the Hotel Royal Plaza
    is temporarily closed. No reservations accepted through February 28, 2005

Is this true? Why is the hotel closed, was there storm damage? Are renovations going on?

As soon as I posted that anothermessage popped up in my inbox, apparently he just missed the detial of the why in his haste to give me the corrected date.
    here is that reply:

Water damage as a result of the hurricane. Renovations are underway

Have a "Magical Day"
    Scott Fries
    Hotel Royal Plaza in the Walt Disney World Resort
    Director of Reservations
    407-827-3420
    407-828-8046 fax

BTW this makes me hope all the more to stay there some time, Perhaps if Lou ever decides to book Michael Eisenberg and his Electric Iceberg Machine for mousefest he can have him perform aat one of the convention rooms at HRP

Wow! They must have had some significant damage to close the whole hotel for so long. That's too bad.

I was just google-searching for more info, came up blank, except for finding out that in 2005 they have reserved the entire hotel for Gay Days.

If you do look into staying there, check Mousesavers.com for discounts. They often have special rates that are *very* attractive (Jacuzzi tub tower room for $89/night). ALMOST stayed there instead of PO:FQ, but on-site won over on-site-but-not-quite.

Thanks for the research!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

wow that is a nice discount, especially since I think the Disney Village hotels actually do have a special deal with Disney that does give you on-site privleges (for instance I think thier guests can do E-ride nights just as the resort guests can). As for the damage, It may not be as bad as it seems, they may be more worried about the noise of the renovations disturbing guests in other rooms and by not taking any new reservations (I'm thinking they may still be honoring reservations made previously..don't know I did not think to ask) they may be able to keep what few guests they might still have in the parts of the Hotel away from the work crews.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    There is one Hotel at DTD that is accepted in the E-Ride nigths. Don't remember which one though.

The Hilton is the only DTD hotel with Extra Magic Hour access. According to AllEarsNet, all DTD hotel guests with multi-day passes can buy E-ride night tickets.

You do get a coupon book, the ability to buy Disney tickets and make PS right at the resort, and access to their own bus transportation. The buses make a loop through the 7 resorts, and then drop you off and pick up in the charter bus parking lots (not at the nice Disney Bus circles).

Also, most of the hotel rooms are larger than Disney's on-site ones, but are not themed. You can get a suite at Doubletree Guest Suites often for less than a moderate room.

When I was a kid, my family stayed at the Viscount, which is the hex-shaped tower (now the Best Western), and later at the Hotel Royal Plaza. This was before Disney built so many of its own hotels, so the Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels had all the perks now reserved for on-site guests, and they were great. In 2000, my family stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites, and got to experience how Disney now treats these hotels as second-class citizens (no EMH, buses in parking lot, etc.). I think that if I was going to spend some of my days at non-Disney parks, or was not as big of a Disney fan as I am, I might choose one of the DTD hotels.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast