Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Another Mission Space injury in the News & Rumors forums; Here's another one. Hopefully this one is not as serious. This ride is getting such bad press. Without the history leading up to this, does anyone think this latest incident ...
    Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder

Another Mission Space injury

Here's another one. Hopefully this one is not as serious. This ride is getting such bad press. Without the history leading up to this, does anyone think this latest incident would make the news? Just curious.

Woman airlifted to ORMC following ride
    A 35-year-old woman fell and lost consciousness after getting off Mission: Space on Monday night.

Amy C. Rippel | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted July 10, 2006, 11:17 PM EDT

A 35-year-old woman fell and lost consciousness after getting off Mission: Space at Epcot on Monday night.

The woman, who was described only as a "local," was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center by the hospital's helicopter.

About 8:30 p.m., she was getting off the ride when she "fell from a standing position," hit her head and was briefly unconscious, said Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

By the time rescue-crew members arrived, the woman had regained consciousness but was not completely alert and reported tingling in her arms and hands, Jones said.

To get her to the hospital quickly, an ORMC helicopter landed in a backstage area of Epcot.

She was taken in "stable, improving condition," Jones said, adding that rescue workers reported she had become more alert and had more sensation in her arms and hands as she was being taken to the hospital.

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    y'know, I'm starting to agree that people should have a physical before riding that. Perhaps Disney should start requiring that they have one....although i have no idea how Disney could reinforce or communicate that effeciently to all the guests before the vacation.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    It kinda makes it sound like she hit her head hard...but I am not sure. Nothing yet on the news this morning. Personally I love the ride...but I think more people should really think about their health and such before riding that ride.

Another thought, how come it took so long for someone to go to the hospital over the ride, and all the sudden, its like a wave of people. Whats going on?

Let's be honest here though...you could "fall from standing position" and hit your head after getting off of the teacups!

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    ^^^ Thats what I am thinking too! LOL

Just Dizzy and nocked herself unconsciousness?

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I know I have been dizzy getting off mission space. So, that is when I go SIT DOWN!!! but anyways, I hope that she is ok....doesn't sound major...
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by nick.jeschke
    Another thought, how come it took so long for someone to go to the hospital over the ride, and all the sudden, its like a wave of people. Whats going on?
    People have been going to the hospital ever since the ride opened.. This is not a new trend... Since day 1 people were getting medical treatment.. it was only after a 4 year old died on the ride that M:S was getting some really bad press....

As far as this woman is concerned, I hope she is OK... sounds like a case of her getting dizzy and falling down, hitting her head pretty hard causing the tingling.... Hopefully nothing serious is found...

By the way, I am not a Mission Space supporter.. I cannot stand the ride.
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Man Mission Space just can't catch a break. It sure seems like that every week something else is puttng Mission Space in a bad light. I wonder if anything like this happens at other parks with there thrill rides and it just stays out of the news because it is not Disney.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I love Mission:Space. I hate that it's getting all the bad press. It sounds like the women was just dizzy and then fell and was knocked unconscious. I'm dizzier after getting of the tea cups than I am after getting off Mission:Space.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Let's be honest here though...you could "fall from standing position" and hit your head after getting off of the teacups!
    No kidding... that would be me!!

With all the current press about Disney, they are going to be jumping on every single incident over there.

The old newspaper saying is, If it bleeds, it leads!

People need to be more self-aware and be honest to themselves regarding their health and condition. No one likes to believe they are getting older or maybe don't have the health they once had, so they go ahead and test themselves. They need to be responsible and honest about their conditions.
    Last edited by SamIAm717; 07-11-2006 at 12:36 PM.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

wdwnut4life is offline Fastpass Holder
    I know what u mean re the physical, people should be warned ahead of time if they have health problems. Look what happened 2 John Ritter, if you had gotten him to the hospital, he would still be w/us today. People who have health problems shouldn't ride Mission Space!

wdwnut4life

Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder
    I swear, if someone gets the smallest scratch on that ride, the press will report it. There are many other theme parks that have extreme rides that cause injuries, but you never see that in the paper. I just think it's time to lay off Disney. It is the person's choice to go on the ride, that person knows their medical history, not Disney.
    But I do feel for this person. Maybe she ate a bad breakfast?

cheshire_cat_81 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Ahem, THIS IS WHY THERE IS ANOTHER VERSION OF THIS RIDE! DON'T RIDE IT IF YOU THINK IT'S GONNA BEAT YOU UP! Sorry for yelling, it just annoys me.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    There are some questions that are not answered in the press release.

1) Which version was the woman on?
    2) Was this her first time on the ride?
    3) Did she fall because she was dizzy and triped or was the fall caused by just being light-headed?
    4) We don't know what the hospital found out about her once she was stablized there.

The other amusement parks do have accidents like these, but they are able to keep a lower profile because...well... those parks boast about being dare devil rides. Disney is the "family" park that caters to entertaining with the assumption of it being safe.

I have ridden Mission Space three times. Love it. Will continue to ride it and will continue to ride the more intense version.

I do hope the woman in this incident recovers and is doing fine. The good news is that the accident didn't make the news here. I take that as a sign that the woman did recover.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nick.jeschke
    .....Another thought, how come it took so long for someone to go to the hospital over the ride, and all the sudden, its like a wave of people. Whats going on?

It is just reported more now in the media
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast