Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Toy Story 3... and 4!!!!??? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally printed in New York Newsday: BY HARRY BERKOWITZ STAFF WRITER Walt Disney Co. is working on not just one but two new sequels in the "Toy Story" series at ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Toy Story 3... and 4!!!!???

Originally printed in New York Newsday: BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
    STAFF WRITER

Walt Disney Co. is working on not just one but two new sequels in the "Toy Story" series at the same time, Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said yesterday.

"Toy Story," which came out in 1995, and 1999's "Toy Story 2" were blockbuster film and merchandising hits for Pixar Animation Studios, the Disney partner that produced it, and for Disney.

But that partnership is ending after two more films, giving Disney the right to craft sequels if Pixar does not want to.

"We're doing two 'Toy Stories' at once," Eisner said in listing some of Disney's film plans at a Goldman Sachs investment conference in Manhattan.

A spokeswoman in Los Angeles for Disney studios later elaborated, saying, "They're working on different story ideas with the hopes there will be a 'Toy Story 3' and another after that."

A Pixar spokeswoman declined to comment.

The partnership's next computer-animated film is "The Incredibles," which debuts Nov. 5 and which Eisner predicts will be a "giant blockbuster."

Disney is trying to rev up its own computer animation department because traditional animation has fared poorly in recent years. Among its computer animation plans, Disney is producing "Chicken Little," which Eisner said will cost half as much as competitors spend on such films.

Still, the question remains whether on its own, Disney can come close to Pixar's unbroken streak of huge triumphs with computer-animated films. Eisner said an enormous amount of computer-animated movies will spill forth from Hollywood in the next few years, but victory will boil down to story-telling and emotion, rather than just technology.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Disney is trying to rev up its own computer animation department because traditional animation has fared poorly in recent years. Among its computer animation plans, Disney is producing "Chicken Little," which Eisner said will cost half as much as competitors spend on such films.

Sigh...

I don't understand this mindset that CGI is the only way to go for animated full length features. Has it occurred to them that one the reasons the CGI movies are doing better than traditional animated features is that the CGI films have better stories/characters and appeal to a broader audience? All MHO of course...

I have nothing against CGI, I enjoy it. I just don't understand why the two can't co-exist.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

adambreakey is offline Moderator
    Amanda - I couldn't agree more. The story is the key here -- Toy Story would have been huge even if it was hand drawn. And Home on the Range or Atlantis still would have done poorly as a CGI film.

Traditional animation will come back someday (I hope). --- Oh, and I went to school to study computer animation (bachelors degree is a BFA in Computer graphics and Animation)

adamb
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I agree as well. Seems like the handdrawn is just thrown together at the last possible moment.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Is Home on the Range as unwatchable as it appears to be?
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Its decent, just not a show stopper. It wasn't fully Disney creative as it could have been.

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    I didnt have a problem with it - it was watchable

It was cute but not the same class as other animated features

not the same quality that we've been brought up on

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree Ms. Bunny. It was watchable. I actually liked Home on the Range. My daughters (4 and 2 yrs. old) loved it. BUT, it was not on the same level as Beauty and the Beast, Alladin, Lion King, etc. It could have just as easily been a movie made for Disney Channel as it was for the theaters. The story was good but not developed fully.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    I have to admit that I felt pretty silly sitting ther by myself watching this movie(my DH and DS wanted nothing to do with it) but after listening to me giggle like a 6 yr old , my DH came and watched the rest of the movie with me. (He's not too fond of Roseanne- so he wasnt watching anything with HER in it) BUt he changed his mind.
    Then again he voiced my opinion- it was cute but not quite what he expects to see when he watches a Disney movie. The animation was more Saturday cartoon type - not the Disney quality animation we expect to see.

mrskpete is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by adambreakey
    Toy Story would have been huge even if it was hand drawn. And Home on the Range or Atlantis still would have done poorly as a CGI film.

adamb
    How true! Not only that, aren't they pushing their luck with a #3 and #4 Toy Story?!?!? Usually sequels do not do as well, although Toy Story 2 did very well. I would love to see another great story line hand drawn.
    ---------------
    MRSKPETE

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Okay, we watched Home on the Range and thought is was lame. We were very much let down after the whole "Bust a MOO" campaign. Saw The Incredibles this weekend. It started out slowly but got better as it went along, and ended up GREAT! I saw the previews to Chicken Little, it looks cute, but so did Home on the Range. I saw the previews in the Disney Store for Disneys new Christmas flick "Twice upon a Christmas". It is a three D animation, not sure if it is computer generated or not, but as I watched it I got sadder and sadder and sadder. Mickey Mouse is 2 D. Always has been, always should be. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    I saw the previews in the Disney Store for Disneys new Christmas flick "Twice upon a Christmas". It is a three D animation, not sure if it is computer generated or not, but as I watched it I got sadder and sadder and sadder. Mickey Mouse is 2 D. Always has been, always should be. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!
    They showed this preview on the Disney Channel the other day and the first thing my wife said is "That doesn't look right! Mickey isn't supposed to be computer animated!" I couldn't agree with her more!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    WHAT?!? I cannot believe they are making a 4th one before seeing how the third one is going to be received - what if it totally flops? Don't get me wrong, I like Toy Story, it just seems strange to be doing two sequels at the same time. Thanks for sharing.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    Forgot to put this in my last post. I agree about the Twice Upon a Christmas movie - it just doesn't look right. Honestly, I like to see the characters in the original way they were presented. It doesn't look right when an animated becomes CG and it doesn't look right when a CG becomes animated.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!