Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Tom Sawyer Island Changed to PIRATE ISLAND! in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by disneydarling last time we were in the escape tunnel it was immediatly following some naughty teenagers who had clearly been smoking pot in there. I had to ...
    ChampDisney is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    last time we were in the escape tunnel it was immediatly following some naughty teenagers who had clearly been smoking pot in there. I had to try to explain to y 9 year old stepsister what that smell was! Other than that one episode the tunnels rock...although I do wonder if any one has ever been stuck - there are some very narrow passages!
    Teenagers smoking pot? Thats no good espically doing that at a Disney theme park where kids & their families come, I thought their were cameras everywhere at Tom Sawyer island.
    Last edited by ChampDisney; 01-13-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    A Pirate Island in the middle of Fronteir Land? That just doesn't fit
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

ChampDisney is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Of course it doesn't I rather see Zorro take over than Pirates.

C-Howdizzle is offline E-Ticket Holder
    22 DRIVING hours away from WDW...(Chi-town)
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    last time we were in the escape tunnel it was immediatly following some naughty teenagers who had clearly been smoking pot in there. I had to try to explain to y 9 year old stepsister what that smell was! Other than that one episode the tunnels rock...although I do wonder if any one has ever been stuck - there are some very narrow passages!

Thats Ridiculous
    Iv been ON space mountain when the lights were on!!! not in line...i was ON THE RIDE!!! I know your jealous...

2008 Upcoming- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2007- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2005- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2004- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002- Carribean Beach Resort
    2000- Disney Institute (with School Friend)

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I have to agree with much of the feeling here... stop with the pirates already. So you had a big hit with the movie... if you want to have a big hit with the third one, don't make everyone sick of pirates before it's released.

That and... as many of you know... I am totally against completely killing the classics for the new.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I read on another site (mouseplanet, in their weekly updates) that the island that is going to be "pirate island" is the Tom Sawyer's Island in Disneyland. According to that source, they already have the dates marked for when Disneyland's island is going to close and recieve it's make-over. I have looked at refurbishments for Disneyland, and the island is gong to be closed for awhile. Supposedly this will be announced at the press conference on the 24th. There are other surprises in store for Disneyland supposedly that will be announced at the press conference too.

However, if this is correct... our island should be safe!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    However, if this is correct... our island should be safe!
    For now....
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I have hopes that Disneyland will just keep theirs and we'll get to keep ours.

They redid Space at Disneyland and ours still has not gotten an overhaul. Also the got ride of the TTA at Disneyland, so there are a lot of changes. So hopefully our island will be safe.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    First, yes, the TSI to Pirates rumor is Disneyland specific so far.

I personally don't like the idea, not because it couldn't work, but because its a marketing-driven proposal, and marketing shouldn't be dictating what goes into the parks. Recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    They redid Space (Mountain) at Disneyland and ours still has not gotten an overhaul. Also the got rid of the TTA at Disneyland, so there are a lot of changes. So hopefully our island will be safe.
    Sidenote... the gutting and rebuilding of Space Mountain at Disneyland was made necessary by the degradation of the track. It actually closed about 5 months ahead of schedule after they found a crack that could have been repaired, but likely would have required repeated attention until they closed it permanently.

So, maybe they will overhaul SM at MK at some point, but I don't think they are having the same issues with the track.

The DL PeopleMover was changed to Rocket Rods, which was a higher speed and fairly popular attraction. However, the PeopleMover track wasn't able to withstand the pressures of the higher speeds and different ride vehicles and there were frequent breakdowns, which eventually lead to its permanent closure. Nothing currently uses the track, and hasn't for awhile. Quite sad really.

Caribbean Lady is offline Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas
    awww, that stinks...I love the People Mover (yes, I refuse to call it the TTA...)

although, as much as I love POTC (Will Turner is my hero!) POTC doesn't fit in the middle of frontierland. I mean, come on, since when did the Caribbean Islands appear in Mississippi and Misouri (where I believe Tom Sawyer takes place) I haven't been to TSI in 5 or 6 years, but I have to say, I would miss it if it disappeared. I have wanted to go during the past few trips...but it hasn't been a must-do

They could add something to it though. A new attraction of some sort. But they shouldn't do away with any existing elements...OR ADD PIRATES!!!
    tale as old as time...

It's official... I'm too far away from the Magic
    When you wish upon a star...

C-Howdizzle is offline E-Ticket Holder
    22 DRIVING hours away from WDW...(Chi-town)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribbean Lady View Post
    awww, that stinks...I love the People Mover (yes, I refuse to call it the TTA...)

although, as much as I love POTC (Will Turner is my hero!) POTC doesn't fit in the middle of frontierland. I mean, come on, since when did the Caribbean Islands appear in Mississippi and Misouri (where I believe Tom Sawyer takes place) I haven't been to TSI in 5 or 6 years, but I have to say, I would miss it if it disappeared. I have wanted to go during the past few trips...but it hasn't been a must-do

They could add something to it though. A new attraction of some sort. But they shouldn't do away with any existing elements...OR ADD PIRATES!!!

agreed, or if they do decide to put something else with a pirate theme, i think that they should put it in adventureland!!! deffinitly not frontier land!
    Iv been ON space mountain when the lights were on!!! not in line...i was ON THE RIDE!!! I know your jealous...

2008 Upcoming- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2007- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2005- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2004- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002- Carribean Beach Resort
    2000- Disney Institute (with School Friend)

Dzneychica is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidermatt View Post

I personally don't like the idea, not because it couldn't work, but because its a marketing-driven proposal, and marketing shouldn't be dictating what goes into the parks. Recipe for disaster.

I'm sorry...but wasn't that the POINT of DL when Walt first created it (besides being a place for kids and adults to enjoy together)...to have a place where people could "enter" their favorite Disney movies? If it weren't for "marketing-driven proposals", there would be no Sleeping Beauty's or Cinderella's Castles...Snow White's Scary Adventures...Dumbo the Flying Elephant...Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...need I go on?

I do get the point that they tend to do a bit TOO much tie-in with the movies; one or two attractions for a movie are one thing, when you get more than that it gets ridiculous...but if it wasn't for the "marketing-driven" rides, there would be no DL or WDW. It would be nice, though, if they would create rides out of more of their repitoire of movies than just using one movie to create a dozen attractions (i.e. Toy Story and Finding Nemo).

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Love Pirates movies. I was very ticked when they messed with PoTC attraction. Now, it is like Stitch all ovvvvvvvver again. Too much PIRATES! Keep it to the attraction and shows. Thank you.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Song757 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    No way!!! They are taking the pirate thing way to far!! Everyone will forget it in 10 years. Tom Sawyer will be around forever.
    GreatestPlace on Earth

Greatest Airline on Earth R.I.P Song Airlines

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I never been on TSI, I plan to go there next time...
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast