Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Universe of Energy Rumors in the News & Rumors forums; My opinion: Just about all of the "rides" at EPCOT are kinda lame, Future World and World Showcase alike. No... scratch that... they're very lame. El Rio Del Tiemp is ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    My opinion: Just about all of the "rides" at EPCOT are kinda lame, Future World and World Showcase alike. No... scratch that... they're very lame. El Rio Del Tiemp is no better off than living with the land if you ask me. BUT (and it's a big but) I like them that way, with good reason.

They may not be the most entertaining rides, but they are interesting. I can't stomach rides like UoE and Maelstrom on every visit to EPCOT, but I do manage to hit them all over the course of every few trips. You just have to be in the right mindset to fully appreciate them.

As was previousy stated, each of the attractions at EPCOT was designed not only to entertain, but to inform and/or educate. Now I can remember myself, even as only a wee squirt, romping through the Imagination pavillion, riding Spaceship Earth, cowering from dinos on Universe of Energy, and scratching my head over the plants on Living with the Land that were being grown suspended without soil. I remember all of these things, even though I was only a small child at the time. I may not have fully grasped the concept, but I learned at least SOMETHING. in fact, I think that now that I am all grown-up (gosh how I hate saying that!), I think I appreciate many of them even more. As examples, both SSE and Living with the Land make much more sense to me now, and are therefore even more enjoyable. The Imagination pavilion is kind of a lone exception to that trend, however, because Disney's attempt at an update went a few steps in the wrong direction if you ask most classic Disney fans.

I think that despite the less-than stellar success of Imagination's makeover, we are going to see all of the old-school "vintage" attractions recieving facelifts as time goes on. Some may just be getting touchups and new paint, others will be upgraded, and yet others still will likely be removed and we will see something new will go in its place. I do hope, however, that as this happens, Disney doesn't just go about replacing the old stuff with new rides that they hope to please the thrill junkies with. There needs to be some substance there too. I think Test Track, despite not being a real favorite ride of mine, was a good upgrade from World of Motion, and should be presented of an example of how a pavilion can be modernized and pepped-up without losing all of its educational value.

Some of the rides I would expect to remain over the long-haul, despite their relative antiquity are Living with the Land, and Spaceship Earth. SSE, just because it's absolute classic, and literally the icon for the park as a whole. LWTL I expect to hang around mostly because those greenhouses and the Land pavilion as a whole are too crucial to Disney and its partners to get rid of, and as long as they are there, they might as well offer an easy-going tour through it all for those who are into that kind of thing.

As for Universe of Energy (which is what started this whole discussion, so I suppose I should get back on track, huh?), I like it, especially now with it's Ellen makeover. I appreciate the humor and light fun that has been injected into it since her addition. That being said, I do think that it is ENTIRELY too long, and that the dinos are... well,... extinct. I think that if they were able to maybe shorten the attraction, maybe make it a 25-30 minute thing instead of the 40-whatever it is now, and maybe upgrade the dino-bots, that it would be much better recieved by a broader audience. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 02-06-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Don... I agree with EVERY SINGLE word you said here. How about that? That's unusual huh? But seriously - you put into better words exactly what I've been trying to say. I should just use you to make my points from now on. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

RumTumJM is offline A-Ticket holder
    I honestly didn't think it was that boring. Nice to have at least one ride where you can get comfortable and just watch for more than 5 minutes or so.
    Last time I rode STAR TOURS, I thought to myself, "If a droid is a pain in the......behind, does that make it a hemdroid?"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you......ROCK!"
    - Brian May

"Don't Stop Believin'"
    - Journey

www.rocknationradio.org

MiraNova23 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Don... I agree with EVERY SINGLE word you said here. How about that? That's unusual huh? But seriously - you put into better words exactly what I've been trying to say. I should just use you to make my points from now on. LOL!
    Ditto... ^^ So I suppose we agree afterall...

"But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation on this, our Spaceship Earth."

My
    (If I'm here, then I'm probably supposed to be animating instead.)

tabida is offline A-Ticket holder

Lightbulb old rides

Well ,although the ride is slow..I still love the dinosaurs and don't understand why they don't just revamp some of the old rides....not replace them...I remember when the Health building first opened and I got to ride those bikes, thinking they were so cool and I loved Cranium Command...Disney needs to get with it

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    I love the ride. I wouldn't want them yo take it away.
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

HiddenMick is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by bucknut20 View Post
    For a person who never got to see the original version of U of E i really enjoy this version even though i may be the only one.
    don't worry, you're not. I have never seen the original(or have forgotten) and I would be dissapointed if they took it out
    Can't run away from Trouble, ain't no place that far.

Andyxox is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I enjoy Universe of Energy, I love the music! I agree it is a little slow, the last movie especially, but it is always a ride I always do when I go to EPCOT. Would be really sad to see it go...

LOL yet another revived thread (I'm litereally laughing)...

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMick
    don't worry, you're not. I have never seen the original(or have forgotten) and I would be dissapointed if they took it out
    The original was much more "Discovery Channel" like. It felt very documentary and not at all comedic like the current version. Though I have to admit, it was interesting.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

what do you mean by reviving?? I don't really get it.

britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I love UoE! Absolutely love it...I have to go on it everytime. I think its very interesting.

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    i really hope they never get rid of it! disney needs to stop getting rid of the old rides just to make room for pixar based attractions and other attractions that aren't as good as their original counterpart
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMick View Post
    what do you mean by reviving?? I don't really get it.
    You're taking a thread that hasn't been touched or posted in since February and suddenly bumping it back to life.

oh, thats what i figured, but I wasn't sure.

EpcotCenter1 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Matata View Post
    i really hope they never get rid of it! disney needs to stop getting rid of the old rides just to make room for pixar based attractions and other attractions that aren't as good as their original counterpart
    I totally agree with that! This remids me of a nightmare about disney closing down sse and replacing it with a High School Musical ride.Weird ain't it?
    -EC1

If you can dream it, you can do it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast