Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Space Mountain Myth/Legend in the News & Rumors forums; I'm only 5'2" but I'm still pretty skittish when it comes to putting my hands up on Space Mountain....
    nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    I'm only 5'2" but I'm still pretty skittish when it comes to putting my hands up on Space Mountain.

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    yeah i'm 5'1 and i am also white knuckling the bar the entire time...though i havent' been on SM in a while bc no one in my family will go on it with me...i think Disney is smart enough to plan for people to put their hands up on a ride like that...BTMRR i usually keep my hands up the entire time and i finally got my bro to do that too(he's a big chicken)...Splash Mt. i'm usually screaming bloody murder on the big drop while holding the bar in a death grip! but it's a "really i'm having fun i swear" kinda scream....
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't know why, but I'm always trying to scrunch down in my seat on SM. I'm 6 feet tall and with the little bit of light that does flicker on and off, it looks like everything is really close in there. I'd rather not risk it.

There is one verfied and one unverified incident on Space Mountain (1998 and 2000). After investigation, both were due to guests who dropped things while on the ride or onto the tracks.

"Timbo: There is one verfied and one unverified incident on Space Mountain (1998 and 2000). After investigation, both were due to guests who dropped things while on the ride or onto the tracks."
    ^^^what happened!?!

also, I am afraid of the dark...so I have the bar on Space Mountain in a death grip...i'm a big chicken hahaha
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

rhsoccersms is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm 6'0 and when I went through the blue light tunnel in the very begining I touched the top of it. I kept my hands down the rest of the ride but I don't think that they would build the tracks that close to each other

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm 6' 0" and, like Don, I can touch the tops of the tunnels, but I cannot touch any of the structure during the ride. I keep my hand up the whole time and have never even though that I was that close to anything.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    I only put my hands up a little because I'm always scared that I will hit the track above me
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I am also a Tallman (movie reference). I don't put my hands up. even though I'm (almost) positive that I wouldn't be injured, sometimes, from what little I can see, those supports look awfully close.

If we can dream it, we can do it

SuperStarKerri is offline It's all good.
    I've heard that "rumor" before about the man who lost an arm or whatever when riding Space Mountain. I always thought that was a true story for some reason. So I have always held onto the bar extra tight. (I pretty much wrap my hands and wrists around it so that when I get off the ride, I am in alot of pain) But that's also party because I'm a chicken.
    Love, Kerri

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    i have a feeling disney takes all this into account before building a ride they must factor in the average heights of people and everything so unless you are freakishly tall i highly doubt you will lose a limb lol!!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

fortuosity is offline NOW APPROACHING...
    Trapped in the Earful Tower with the Animaniacs
    I remember watching a special about roller coasters on Discovery Channel. Before they open any coaster they had this robot-looking thing that goes along the track. It had outstretched arms made of a styrofoam-type material that were about 7 feet long each. If the arms hit anything they would break and it would be deemed unsafe and adjustments had to be made.

Sidenote - I'm 5'7" and I always duck. It makes the ride more thrilling when you're closer to the ground.
    More Beer? What For Nothing Helps... Get Me Five Dozen Eggs Instead
    Imagination! Imagination! A Dream Can Be A Dream Come True With Just A Spark In Me And You

America, Keep On Flying Now. Keep Your Spirit Free, Facing New Frontiers

Cinderella CastleSpaceship EarthTree Of LifeEarful Tower

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Knowing how cautious Disney is, I would think that if this happened to even one person and it was a serious injury, things would have been adjusted immediately. MissionSpace is a pretty good example of Disney making adjustments to rides for the comfort, safety and well being of its guests. Not to mention, it doesn't need a lawsuit...
    Last edited by SamIAm717; 05-09-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    Maybe we should test this theory. WDW could invite Yao Ming to MK and have him ride Space Mountain with his hands up. If he comes back with both arms, hands, and 10 fingers, then this thread will no longer be a rumor.

:-)
    The Goofy Princess

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I think it'd be safe to say that if the supports really were that low... there'd be warning signs all over the place not to put your hands up. Without them someone can sue if they are hurt but with them it's just a dumb rider who didn't read. LOL
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

foilfencer1337 is offline A-Ticket holder
    my thoughts are basically this:

how fast are your hands traveling when you're riding space mountain? 24 mph

how fast do u think your hands move when you give someone a hi-five? probably faster...

so think, even if your hands DID hit the bars, it'd be like smacking your hand REALLY fast against a metal bar...

its not like your getting hit with a baseball bat, which DEFINITELY moves faster than 24 mph and doesn't remove appendages (you're hands probably will hurt, maybe break your hands, but really just bruises) and that moving WAYYYYY faster than 24 mph

so even if the bars are low enough for you to hit them (which they're not unless you're over 6' 5" would be my guess) you're not gonna lose your arms.

~nick...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast