Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Space Mountain Myth/Legend in the News & Rumors forums; We were talking on another thread ( http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...940#post419940 --- if you want to know) about the myth/legend about space mountain which is-- is it safe to put your hands in ...
    DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder

Space Mountain Myth/Legend

We were talking on another thread (http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...940#post419940 --- if you want to know) about the myth/legend about space mountain which is-- is it safe to put your hands in the air in space mountain? Or is true someone got their arm chopped/severely injured while riding space mountian?

I hope what I am trying to say makes sense
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

mightymouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've held my hands up and never lost either. I'm sure this was taken into account when they built it
    Last edited by mightymouse; 02-21-2007 at 09:19 AM.

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    from everything i have read and understand is that there is about 7 feet from the track up to the bars supporting everything so it is safe to put your hands up
    possibly maybe even somewhat safe enough to stand up!
    but hey again i could be wrong
    but you can def. put your hands up
    i've done it and have yet to lose an are or fingers
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    well i know I can put my hands up but I want to know if the story that floats around disney is actually true...was there someone who got hurt riding space mountain? I guess thats the question I should have asked before.
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

WDWobsessed! is offline A-Ticket holder
    i guess im tall and im ALWAYS afraid to put my hands up. so whoever im in a care with i always tell them to keep their arms in! its kinda scary
    A dream is a wish your heart makes

WALT DISNEY WORLD OBSESSED

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    I'm 6'4" and while I'm absolutely positive that Disney was intelligent enough to make room to put your arms up on Space Mountain....I still only put them up a little bit at a time. While we're on this subject, on BTMRR I do the whole ride with my arms up with the exception of when you go through the building/tunnels. I put them down for those parts even though I know I'd be fine.
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

disneyimagineer is offline You may notice that I'm not all here myself
    When my friend went on it, he didn't know that the supports were so low. So when he put his hands up and they smacked the bars. He said that whenever he went on Space Mounain after that he ducked down for the entire ride.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."-Walt Disney
    TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!
    Can you stand on your head?

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    I put up my hands and i still have all ten fingers and both arms
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I said it in the other thread on this topic, and I'll say it again. I can touch the roofs of the tunnels quite easily, both the one in the very beginning (when you first leave the loading station) and the one towards the bottom of the track at the end (the red tunnel that looks kind of like an afterburner can). And if I can reach those, it's enough to make me keep my hands down on the rest of the ride, despite the fact that I'm sure there is enough room to keep anyone from getting seriously hurt... that is unless you're like incredibly tall AND put your arms up (maybe?).

But I have not heard of anyone being hurt in this kind of incident.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

klineski96 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have no final answer and I have no insider info... but why would they build a dark roller coaster where you can actually get injured just by raising your arms? I highly doubt you can touch the support beams above the track. But I wouldn't know because I'm not near brave enough to try!!

Of course my wife will tell you Splash Mountain is totally unsafe because she says "they need seatbelts or at least a lap bar!"

I have tons of of various Hidden Mickeys. If there's one you want to see, and if I have it, just ask me and I'll be glad to share it with you!

|_ _|

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    well there is no sign saying not to put your hand up do they??
    I heard a story of someone losing a finger doing that...not sure if it is true or not but i keep my hands on my lap!
    shannon

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyimagineer View Post
    When my friend went on it, he didn't know that the supports were so low. So when he put his hands up and they smacked the bars. He said that whenever he went on Space Mounain after that he ducked down for the entire ride.

I'm not trying to say your friend lied or anything but at the speed the ride moves when it goes under support bars he wouldn't have just smacked the bars... he'd probably be in pain. Steel + Speed + Hands = OUCH! Anything is possible, but I can't imagine it was just a smack. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I agree, there would be some serious damage if anyone hit their hands during their journey through space. lol
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I love to put my hands up on roller coasters, and do on space mountain, but I am only like 5 ft. 2 so I can't speak for the safety of you tall peeps.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I wouldn't know, I'm holding on for dear life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast