Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Disney-MGM Studios Name Change? in the News & Rumors forums; Check out what I just found from Mouse Extra.com Click on the link: http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/02/27/294/ I wonder if it will really happen? Let me know your thoughts...It will be interesting to ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation Disney-MGM Studios Name Change?

Check out what I just found from Mouse Extra.com

Click on the link: http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/02/27/294/

I wonder if it will really happen?

Let me know your thoughts...It will be interesting to hear!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I dont like the name Disney-Pixar studios, just like it said in that article, it doesnt fit the current theme of classic hollywood. I think the name is fine now, but if they do need to drop MGM from the name, then do exactly that....I think Disney Studios would be a better choice than Disney-Pixar given the current theme of the park....
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    No! They can't do that..

1) Not all of the attractions have to do with Pixar

and

2) That would just be wrong..

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

wdwfan1313 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The studios park has certainly morphed from it's original theme and in my opinion needs some sort of direction, but I don't know if this is it. All the other parks have more pixar related attractions, this would detract from the uniqueness of a Pixar based park or even just a Pixar section of the park. Disney paid a lot of money for Pixar and needs to cash in on that expediture so I think this idea or something like it is very possible. We'll just have to wait and see.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    They should just call it The Disney Studios theme park since much of it now revolves around Disney produced films.

The park is no longer based on movie making and the history of movies as it was when it first opened. I wish they would have kept a little more of the movie making concept because it was very interesting. They would only be able to do this if there is a way the attractions can be updated at regular intervals.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Justin M is offline Fastpass Holder
    Very good point wdw4us2 . . . the original ideas for parks like the Studios and EPCOT required very frequent updating to keep up with current trends or to keep pushing the idea of progress forward. I think that the execs who run the parks right now would rather bank on existing brands that they know people (especially kids) want to come out and see. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that is what I'm afraid is going on.

As for the name change - I'm with the majority on this . . .the Disney Studios Theme Park would suit me just fine (not that I get a vote!). If they add Pixar to the title I almost wonder if they are narrowing the theme for this park a little too much. Who knows . . . perhaps I just haven't had enough sleep to think clearly . . .
    Justin

www.dreamcmo.com

Send your questions about my CMO experiences to Justin@dreamCMO.com and you just might make it on the site!

Find me on 'Facebook' as well! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506475946

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxsEymi9SE - CMO Blooper reel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIo5xUlQkg - CMO "Adventurosity Remix"

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    My personal opinion is that Disney Studios is the best name for the park. However, money talks and that means that there is a good chance that Pixar will get thrown in there somehow. And that isn't really bad thing either. It could work. MGM really has very little to do with the current MGM Studios, so Pixar wouldn't really have to have a major role in the new park. Oh well, we'll see.
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Thank you very much, disneyfanatic101 for reading Mouse Extra.

Personally, I don't think any of the names suggested work anymore. Disney-Pixar Studios, Disney Studios, or even Disney-MGM studios. For one thing, the 2 biggest attractions, RnR and ToT are NOT movie related. On top of that the place is filled with non-movie stuff. (ABC Commisary, One Man's Dream, Playhoues Disney 50's Prime Time, etc.) But what's more important is that this is NOT a studio anymore! In order for the name "Studios" to fit I think it would have to either...

1. Actually have a studio

or

2. Be focused entirely on attraction from films (or at least much more than it is now)

It is neither of these things. If they are going to change the name, change it to fit more of what it is...if you can figure that out.
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    They could call it Walt Disney's Potpourri Park
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    In some recent media stuff I got from them recently, it goes through a brief summary of each park... including "Disney Studios." That's the title they've put on it already for some of their info.

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    How about Disney's Hollywood?
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbm20th View Post
    Personally, I don't think any of the names suggested work anymore. Disney-Pixar Studios, Disney Studios, or even Disney-MGM studios. For one thing, the 2 biggest attractions, RnR and ToT are NOT movie related. On top of that the place is filled with non-movie stuff. (ABC Commisary, One Man's Dream, Playhoues Disney 50's Prime Time, etc.) But what's more important is that this is NOT a studio anymore! In order for the name "Studios" to fit I think it would have to either...

1. Actually have a studio

or

2. Be focused entirely on attraction from films (or at least much more than it is now)

It is neither of these things. If they are going to change the name, change it to fit more of what it is...if you can figure that out.

Wait a sec - aren't there things called Television Studios???? That's where ABC fits in. And Tower of Terror. And Playhouse Disney. One Man's Dream tells the history of Walt Disney and his studio, which are so intertwined you can not tell one without the other.

Yes, some stuff is more "Hollywood" than actual "studio" (not directly related to the production of films or TV shows), but that doesn't detract from the original intent of the park, as it says on the dedication plaque: "The world you have entered was created by the Walt Disney Company & is dedicated to Hollywood - not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream & wonder & imagine, a place where illusion & reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was - and always will be."

I think they have done a pretty good job of keeping the studios theme going even without a working animation studio present - look at how Lights! Motors! Action! explains how the stunts work and are filmed. And the Narnia exhibit, while not one of their best efforts, does showcase props and sets from the film.

Unfortunately, the drawback to "how did they do that?" type attractions is that once you know how they did it, you don't feel the need to go back again and again. So there has to be a mix of things to bring people back, as well as the constant updating to showcase the latest and greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by satijp
    In some recent media stuff I got from them recently, it goes through a brief summary of each park... including "Disney Studios." That's the title they've put on it already for some of their info.
    That doesn't mean anything - search for related threads here and on JimHillMedia.com. The agreement with MGM to use the MGM name and logo did not extend to certain types of media and advertising. Seriously, as crazy as it sounds, Disney can not call the park Disney-MGM Studios in promotional videos, travel channel specials, and other advertisements due to the terms of the contract with MGM (which has been a very messy deal since day one).
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

BrotherHuet is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I think The perfect name would be the Walt Disney Studios Theme Park. Get rid of MGM, who honestly needs it. And keep everything hollywood, movie and TV themed.
    August 1983 Contemporary (Just one year old!)
    August 1986 Contemporary
    August 1987 Contemporary
    August 1988 Contemporary
    August 1989 Polynesian
    August 1990 Contemporary
    August 1991 Contemporary
    August 1992 Polynesian
    August 1993 Polynesian
    August 1995 All Star Sports/Polynesian
    August 1996 All Star Music/Polynesian
    January 1998 Polynesian
    March 2000 All Star Music (Senior class trip)
    July/August 2003 Off Property
    September 2006 All Star Music
    January 2007 Pop Century
    October 2009 Disneyland-Alpine Inn (off property)
    November 2010 Pop Century
    June 2012 Grand Californian

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    The issue around this one is the same one that came up about a year ago when the original "contract" to use the MGM name was expiring. If the MGM name was gone, would they still be able to use the MGM movie theming they have in so many areas of the park. It was a huge discussion back then so I'm sure if this rumor gets wild enough it'll be out there again.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I read some where last year that it was just going to be changed to the disney studios.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast