Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Stitch "Rehab" Confirmed (almost) in the News & Rumors forums; Orlando Sentinel Is Stitch's Great Escape too scary for children? Word is circulating that Walt Disney World is already tweaking its new Magic Kingdom attraction, in part to make it ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Stitch "Rehab" Confirmed (almost)

Orlando Sentinel

Is Stitch's Great Escape too scary for children?

Word is circulating that Walt Disney World is already tweaking its new Magic Kingdom attraction, in part to make it less frightening for children. To bring Stitch to the Magic Kingdom, Disney imagineers retooled the old ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter. The replacement of the encounter's ultra-scary alien with Stitch, a popular character with Disney's younger fans, was supposed to make the Tomorrowland attraction more kid-friendly. But Disney did not remove the significant periods of total darkness, which has proved too much for some of Stitch's biggest fans. A Disney spokeswoman confirmed that imagineers are making "minor" adjustments, but would not offer details about the changes.

I mentioned my disappointment in no uncertain terms in my article and to anyone that would listen to me, and it appears that the rumor of the attraction closing after the February break are true (thankfully). As for the headline "Is Stitch's Great Escape too scary for children?", I think it should have also included (... or does the attraction just stink?")
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i was at The World the last week Alien Encounter was open, and walked away saying to myself 'yeah, i can see why this is going'

so, i was stunned to find out that it wasn't replaced but retooled. there is so much more they could've done with a Stitch incorporated ride. to me, it seemed like a cheap way out.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    As for the headline "Is Stitch's Great Escape too scary for children?", I think it should have also included (... or does the attraction just stink?")

Exactly Lou. The ride is so slow in story line I was getting bored myself for a few moments. Who know what those kids were wanting to do.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    We didn't notice any scared kids when we went. They seemed to either enjoy it or were bored.

I wanted to like this attraction, I really did. But it was boring and made me long for AE, which had never been a favorite.

Does everything have to appeal to the toddler set?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    AE all over again...

Ever since I saw my first glimpses of the attraction, I knew that history would repeat itself. According to Jim Hill Media, though, Eisner supposedly saw it and hated it, so closing was ordered to rework the attraction. But the reworking is only a mere $5,000. Let's see if this is enough if it's true.

I think its biggest improvement would be in the ending. Sure, they got that great idea to send him into the park, but then what? It's obvious that they never knew, either. Although, a great homage to the building's original attraction is seen at the beginning of that sequence.

How could they get this more kid friendly without destroying the character of Stitch is my big question. Doing a Stitch overlay of AE was a great way to change up the show a bit while keeping faithful to the characters. They've already made the attraction kid-friendly enough. Retooling should mean to get him back into character a little more.

In the end, Lilo & Stitch isn't quite as kid friendly as they seem to think it is. Thus, why the movie got a PG rating -- anything based off of Stitch's early life absolustely cannot be anything less without destroying the basis of what Stitch was at that point in time.

Let's hope it's not even worse when it reopens.

-Tim

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    When is it scheduled for rehab? I'm going in early February, will it be open then?
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    Does everything have to appeal to the toddler set?
    Apparently so.

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Alien Encounter wasn't really my favorite attraction in Tomorrowland, but I think that it was a LOT better than Stitch's Great Escape. I can just imagine how irksome the attraction will be if they dumb it down any more for kids...

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    I was actually almost looking forward to seeing this new "ride" (even though I loved AE), but now I'm afraid I'll just be more disappointed. I'll try to keep an open mind...
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    4Mickey... you bring up something very interesting when you called it a "ride."

What do we actually call this? Most seem to say that they rode AE/SGE, but that seems to be a ludicrous as saying that you rode the booth down at the local Waffle House (though, in some, you might have if the roaches carried you out the door). Should we call it at its broadest and just a mere attraction? Or should we call it a show, since in many ways it's just that?

Disney always called it a sensory thriller, but what's to say about that? You ride a ride, see a show, so do we say "I sensory thrilled that sensory thriller?"

-Tim

flutter is offline Moderator
    I never saw AE I'm a big chicken. I did see Stitch in Dec, I did not hate this as much as others seem to but I didn't love it either. Would I go see it again, maybe if I was in the area and had time to kill. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    All the kids that were on the ride with me were bored out of their minds... the last word I would use to describe 'Stitch's Great Escape' is 'scary'. Or 'exciting'. Or 'Fun'. Or any other adjective that could be used to describe a good time on an attraction... big disappointment on this one, which is sad, because I was looking forward to it. Not a high point for Disney Imagineering, but you can't win 'em all...

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    My nieces love Lilo & Stitch on TV/DVD but after checking out Stitches Great Escape when it first opened I realized they would be too scared. I hope they revamp it well so it is more fun, even though the bad side of Stitch is showing.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Dr. Doom is offline A-Ticket holder

Angry Sge

The new attraction on the Magic Kingdom is terrible. Alien Encounter was one of the greatest attractions ever. Disney should realize that they are going to loose all the teen audience against Universal Studios theme parks. They should make attractions for both little kids and..uh..big kids. If the thought AE was no longer a surprise, then why dont change a little bit the attraction but with the same story. Close SGE and bring back AE!

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Maybe they should just remove stitch and make is Pooh's Great Escape!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast