Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Say it isn't so in the News & Rumors forums; I hate to say it, but it looks like the "Hundred Acre Wood meet and greet and then spend some bucks in the store" area is really happening, based on ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Say it isn't so

I hate to say it, but it looks like the "Hundred Acre Wood meet and greet and then spend some bucks in the store" area is really happening, based on the theming of the surrouding area.

Ugh.

Thanks to an anonymous reader for the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I hate to say it, but it looks like the "Hundred Acre Wood meet and greet and then spend some bucks in the store" area is really happening, based on the theming of the surrouding area.

Ugh.

Thanks to an anonymous reader for the picture
    While is is true that a play area is not great replacement for the subs, a play area is a lot better than a big empty unused submarine lagoon. then again I'm still hopeful of two other things, First that the play are will not take up the entire space and possibly open up to another new area that can still be developed. Secondly if that is not the case that this truly will be temporary and we can look forward to something bigger and better here eventually (even if we are talking 10-15 years out).

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Lou, I may be missing something here, but all I see in the photo is a big green wall and a planting area with a fence. If this was taken outside the Winnie the Pooh ride, of course the construction wall decor & the planting area would be themed to match it. It's what's behind the wall that remains to be seen!

Brian, I agree, a play area would be better than empty lagoons! But I hope they put some sort of water feature back in that area. Anybody have photos of what is going on down by Ariel's Grotto?????
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    The meet and greet is *supposed* to be a temporary placeholder structure, as you know. And as you know, temporary placeholder structures around WDW are rarely temporary placeholder structures.

Take Mickey's Birthdayland and Camp Minnie-Mickey for instance -- parts of both of those areas are still looking like they will be out in a month.

Let's just hope that there's enough public demand for something else and, unlike Mickey's Birthdayland and Camp Minnie-Mickey, people won't be rating it as a high point.

The only temporary structure of the Birthdayland/Camp level that I can think of in recent times that stayed no longer than the stay intended was Millenium Village. I'm still thankful that we don't need to be stuck with Journey into Jerusalem! Quite pathetic when the only way they could get people to ride it was to say that it was the best ride in Millenium Village.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    If this was taken outside the Winnie the Pooh ride, of course the construction wall decor & the planting area would be themed to match it.
    While you are right that the Pooh Ride is right there if this fence and planting was just recently added it does seem to match a Hundred acre Woods theme more than the rest of the fences (aren't they mostly wroght Iron?), and planting areas in Fantasyland, and, since the Pooh ride has been there a few years now, if this was just added in the past few weeks/months, it would seem that it is likely it ties into the new construction.

That said it would be nice if anyone interested in showing off thier Fantasyland landscaping pictures would post a few pics here showing other fences, and plantings in Fantsyland.

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    It's a shame that they're going to fill the old lagoon. I always thought it'd be nice to put some swan paddleboats in that area to help bring back the nostalgic feel.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Awe! That makes me so sad!!! I wish they'd bring back the swan boats too. Even if only in the off season so they wouldn't be so crowded.
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    When did they have Swan boats there?
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    They never had any swan paddle boats in that area of the park. They use to have huge swan boats that held about 20-30 people in the water near the Swiss Family Island treehouse. I don't know when these boats were retired, but I've not seen them since the early 80's. I was thinking that bringing back a smaller version of the swan boats in paddleboat form would help spark some memories for the older guests.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife
    I've not seen them since the early 80's.
    So that's why I had never heard of them - first visit was in 88.
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com
    While you are right that the Pooh Ride is right there if this fence and planting was just recently added it does seem to match a Hundred acre Woods theme more than the rest of the fences (aren't they mostly wroght Iron?), and planting areas in Fantasyland, and, since the Pooh ride has been there a few years now, if this was just added in the past few weeks/months, it would seem that it is likely it ties into the new construction.

That said it would be nice if anyone interested in showing off thier Fantasyland landscaping pictures would post a few pics here showing other fences, and plantings in Fantsyland.
    The areas around the carousel have either high concrete with no fences or low concrete with iron fences with arches or finial details. Near the teacups there are more metal fences, in a more streamlined look (because they are closer to Tomorrowland). There is a wooden fence like this in part of Toontown fair (near the tent, I believe). Toontown Fair has the country feel and is pretty close to Pooh. I think there was a wooden fence around the old Skyway terminal near IASW before that went behind construction walls.

Unfortunately, I need a new scanner to get my photos online (stupid OSX upgrade!).

Without knowing exactly where the photo was shot, it's hard to tell what the purpose is, other than wood is cheaper than metal. Even then we're only guessing!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would like to point out, though, that the pooh character sillouettes on the wall means absolutely nothing. This is merely the standard construction wall that they use for Fantasyland.

There's still a lot to be seen and no official confirmation on what will be going in this area of Fantasyland. It's still way too early to get too worried about anything that will go here.

And if it is a meet and greet, hopefully it will remain temporary as planned. Although, knowing guests and that WDW doesn't quite cater to locals as much as DL does, people will probably start saying that the meet and greet is the highlight of their trip on the exit surveys. After all, too many parents take them to WDW merely to see Mickey and friends and not any of the attractions.

BTW: You will find a remnant of the old sub lagoon inside one of those fencings: a water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    I would like to point out, though, that the pooh character sillouettes on the wall means absolutely nothing. This is merely the standard construction wall that they use for Fantasyland.
    Certainly, nothings "a done deal" until it's done, and even then it can change (like the loss of figment from the Imagination Pavillion changed). As for the fence I wasn't even thinking of the construction fence, and did not notice the characters on it, really. I was thinking of how well the split rail fence (or maybe there is a better name for that style of fence) around the planting area would tie nicely in with a Hundred Acre Wood setting. Was maybe even that a stretch?...perhaps, but speculating about coming changes is good fun.

Mark Goldhaber is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife
    They never had any swan paddle boats in that area of the park. They use to have huge swan boats that held about 20-30 people in the water near the Swiss Family Island treehouse. I don't know when these boats were retired, but I've not seen them since the early 80's. I was thinking that bringing back a smaller version of the swan boats in paddleboat form would help spark some memories for the older guests.
    Actually, they ran from 1973-1983, and they circled the hub. You can still see the dock in the Rose Garden area east of the hub.

Bigdisneygoer03 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Did anybody hear about the new snow storm ride at disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast