Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Song of the South to be relased in the US?? in the News & Rumors forums; Will the long-buried Disney classic Song of the South finally see the light of day? Possibly. We've known for some time that some within Disney would like to see it ...
  1. #1
    Lou Mongello's Avatar
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    9,580

    Song of the South to be relased in the US??

    Will the long-buried Disney classic Song of the South finally see the light of day? Possibly. We've known for some time that some within Disney would like to see it release, as would film critic/historian Leonard Maltin and former Disney vice-chairman Roy Disney. However, others oppose the release of the film, including critic Roger Ebert and the NAACP, feeling it's demeaning to black Americans. Up to this point, Disney head honcho Michael Eisner has kept the film in the vault.

    However, **** Cook, chairman of the Walt Disney Studios spoke at this summer's annual convention of the NFFC, the Club for Disney Enthusiasts and told conventioneers a release is possible. The club's newsletter, called FantasyLine Express, ran this quote:

    Q: Will Song of the South ever be released on DVD?

    A: Yes. Cook said that the public has requested a DVD release of Song of the South more than it has requested any other film. That said, Disney also is aware that some elements of the film reflect the time in which it was made and don't reflect current attitudes. He said that the Studio has encountered similar issues with other older material. In some cases, such as some of the World War II material in the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, they've addressed the issue through introductions that place the material in context. He said that Disney hasn't yet found the ideal solution for Song of the South, but he was confident that they would.


    Source: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/576/576790p1.html
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42


  2. #2
    BigDaddyKyle's Avatar
    BigDaddyKyle is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Trenton, GA
    Posts
    1,161
    This is great Lou! Thanx for sharing this with us. We were just talking about this in another thread.
    See YOU at Disney World,

    BDK

    <!--StartFragment -->

  3. #3
    disneygramma's Avatar
    disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    93
    I think this is a good thing....If people take it in the concept that this is a classic and was never really intended to offend anyone then maybe there will not be alot of hoopla...well, we can always hope!!
    Second star to the right....straight on till morning!!!:mickey:

  4. #4
    flutter's Avatar
    flutter is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bruins Country!!!
    Posts
    7,009
    oh good cause my bootleg copy leaves much to be desired

  5. #5
    Jacknife's Avatar
    Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    652
    Ditto, mine's very dark and poor quality due to the PAL/NTSC conversion process.

    I just hope that if Disney does decide to place a disclaimer in the movie that it may be omitted in the options area of the disc. ...After watching our Disney Treasures DVDs, I'm sick of hearing Lenonard Maltin's voice.

    : . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

  6. #6
    TrendyMagic's Avatar
    TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    SF Bay, Cali
    Posts
    3,898
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    In some cases, such as some of the World War II material in the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, they've addressed the issue through introductions that place the material in context.
    Exactly. I am sure they will find a good way of doing it.

  7. #7
    marty3d's Avatar
    marty3d is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    a most uncommon elevator
    Posts
    1,693
    My feeling is that if they do release it, it'll probably be as part of the Disney Treasures series. They may release it as part of a collection (for example, not actually calling the DVD Song of the South, but having it on one of the discs). This would make sense in several ways:

    1 - Disney Treasures is aimed more at collector's than at kids. The contents are supposed to be viewed in context of the times in which they were released. Other parts of DT would also have been controversial if released in a different format.

    2 - DT is released in limited quantities. This would limit the amount of time on the shelves.

    In general, I'm not a big fan of censorship and attempting to sweep older material that may be offensive under the covers. I understand and respect Disney's reasons for keeping SotS in the vault, but I believe Disney Treasures is the right way to release it.

  8. #8
    MandaBella's Avatar
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,436
    I really hope they do release it. Many of the bootlegs people have are terrible quality-wise, and I'm sure many of them would love to have a restored version.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...


  9. #9
    bigbrian-nc.com's Avatar
    bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by marty3d
    My feeling is that if they do release it, it'll probably be as part of the Disney Treasures series. They may release it as part of a collection (for example, not actually calling the DVD Song of the South, but having it on one of the discs). This would make sense in several ways:

    1 - Disney Treasures is aimed more at collector's than at kids. The contents are supposed to be viewed in context of the times in which they were released. Other parts of DT would also have been controversial if released in a different format.

    2 - DT is released in limited quantities. This would limit the amount of time on the shelves.

    In general, I'm not a big fan of censorship and attempting to sweep older material that may be offensive under the covers. I understand and respect Disney's reasons for keeping SotS in the vault, but I believe Disney Treasures is the right way to release it.
    Very well thought out Marty. It sounds like this would be a good way to release it.

    Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

  10. #10
    disneygramma's Avatar
    disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    93
    now why didn't Disney think of releasing SoftheS through the " Treasures"? that should solve all the hoopla...
    Second star to the right....straight on till morning!!!:mickey:

  11. #11
    FrumiousBoojum's Avatar
    FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    41
    I just don't quite get how movies that's been available for years, such as Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind, can be acceptable, but a movie like Song of the South, which is VERY much not as offensive as either of the other two, is held out of sight for so long....

    -Tim

  12. #12
    MandaBella's Avatar
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    I just don't quite get how movies that's been available for years, such as Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind, can be acceptable, but a movie like Song of the South, which is VERY much not as offensive as either of the other two, is held out of sight for so long....

    -Tim
    Ask Disney, since they decided to pull it themselves.
    I've often wondered that.

    As far as GWTW, the amount of $$$ it generated for MGM ( and still does with merchandising) and it's immense popularity probably helped keep this one in the public eye. This movie even generated a movie about the casting of Vivien Leigh for TV.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...


  13. #13
    4Mickey's Avatar
    4Mickey is offline &quot;But why is the Rum gone?&quot;
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sailin' under me Jolly Roger
    Posts
    3,872
    I'd love to see SotS on a DT DVD. I love those things. The first time I heard Leonard discussing the "racial inapproiatness" of mickey dressing in an indian costume & saying "HOW" to the train conductor, I laughed. I couldn't believe how careful people have to be these days! Regardless of how they release it, I'll have a copy of it as my (like many of you) bootleg SotS is not the greatest quality , but I can still see Brer Rabbit so that's all that matters to me!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

    "What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    46,886
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Q: Will Song of the South ever be released on DVD?

    A: Yes. Cook said that the public has requested a DVD release of Song of the South more than it has requested any other film. That said, Disney also is aware that some elements of the film reflect the time in which it was made and don't reflect current attitudes. He said that the Studio has encountered similar issues with other older material. In some cases, such as some of the World War II material in the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, they've addressed the issue through introductions that place the material in context. He said that Disney hasn't yet found the ideal solution for Song of the South, but he was confident that they would.


    Source: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/576/576790p1.html
    I just saw this thread for the first time today and I cannot tell you how it has made my day! I sure hope that it comes true! I have the original sondtrack album and love it and have been dying to have the movie! I am one of those Disney fans that has requested it be released numerous times on the Disney DVD site. Hopefully the more people who request it...the better chance we have that it will happen sooner rather than later!!!!

  15. #15
    Jiminy Cricket's Avatar
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Posts
    4,700
    If money were the only issue Disney would have released SoTS years ago. The issue was, and remains, how not to anger the agitators who would call for a boycott of Disney. You know who I am talking about, the ones that pop up on the Larry King show, et al when the coffers are running low in their organizations. They could care less about SoTS. They only care about their egos and bank accounts. I am willing to bet they have contacted Disney many times trying to arrange a deal so that their palms would be greased before the movie were released and/or a percentage was given to some new operation of their's. Problem is the folks running Disney won't fall for their line of stuff--now or in the future.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 02-22-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

    DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

    *Off Property

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •