Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Can Anyone Confirm This? in the News & Rumors forums; For the longest time the rumor around the Africa section was that they were finally going to build out the Africa Pavillion. It was part of the original plans for ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    For the longest time the rumor around the Africa section was that they were finally going to build out the Africa Pavillion. It was part of the original plans for the WS and if I remember right it actually appears on some of the original drawings of the area before building began. Unfortunately due to the current state of affairs in Africa at the time they basically decided it wasn't the sort of country they wanted to represent with a pavillion. Things have changed since then obviously though so that's why the whole build out of a pavillioin rumor started. It doesn't surprise me though that the rumor has changed to an Australia themed area instead, especially after the representation Australia had at the Food and Wine Festival. I think it's a smart idea if it is indeed true and would further Disney's quest to have add more recognizable characters to Epcot in general. By that I of course mean Nemo. You can bet if an Aussie themed area finds it's way into the WS it'll have at least some small connection to Nemo. It's obvious Disney is trying to get more attention to the WS with the recent renovation to a more "kid friendly" version of El Rio in Mexico so I guess we wait and see what's next.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuosity View Post
    I think I'm the only person who wants Poland (Except for Poles, that is).
    They also had a food stop for Poland, but I think it was near...hmmm.... Canada or something?

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Unfortunately due to the current state of affairs in Africa at the time they basically decided it wasn't the sort of country they wanted to represent with a pavillion.
    Africa is not a country... it's a continent composed of MANY countries!

The way I understood it, there was supposed to be an African pavilion, but considering that it was such a broad scope encompassing so many smaller countries,with many different cultures, histories, beliefs... not to mention that many of those countries were not entirely friendly with one another, they could not come to an agreement on much of anything, from what it should look like to who would be responsible for staffing it (as you know, the W.S. pavilions are all staffed by CMs from their host nations). So the plan fell apart.

As a sort of exageration of my point, it's kind of like saying we should have a "Middle East" pavilion in EPCOT now. I can just imagine how the security at the bag check tables would have to be upgraded!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Oh geeze ok CONTINENT Mr. Smarty Pants Don. :P

Wonder what the truth is on that one. It was a CM on a backlot tour thing I took as a child that told us it was due to the whole North and South Africa "warring" BS.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yes given that the continent of Africa spans from Egypt to South Africa, I could imagine how difficult it would be to encompass all the history, political differences and culture into one pavillion. I think Africa is represented very well in DAK. As someone who will probably never get to travel to Africa, that's as close as I am ever going to get.

Australia, given how large it is, would also need to be focused one or two interesting locations. There's just so much to cover. I think it would be wonderful if Disney could somehow strike a deal with Steve Irwin's family to have portion of a pavillion dedicated to his life/work.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Well heck right now it's encompassed into a little hut and some theming so I'm sure it could've been done in a pavillion. LOL!!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    A little hut? Hardly! All it is now is a themed ice cream and refreshment stand! But hey, I've never been to Africa, so for all I know, it could all be about ice cream and soda over there anyway... what do I know?
    -Don-

Mmmmm ice cream and soda.

Jenn... Please forgive for asking if this is something stupid, but I'm curious... what the heck is a Mogwai???
    -Don-

tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    Jenn... Please forgive for asking if this is something stupid, but I'm curious... what the heck is a Mogwai???
    As depicted in the 1984 Joe Dante film Gremlins and its 1990 sequel Gremlins 2: The New Batch, the word mogwai is used by some Chinese characters to describe a rare sentient animal. It is a furry, cute creature that if exposed to the right stimuli will transform into, and/or create (given the circumstance) gremlins. If exposed to water, it immediately reproduces more of its kind asexually; if it eats food after midnight, it becomes a gremlin (a more reptilian and evil creature). Sunlight will kill a mogwai and other lights will annoy or hurt it. Most of the mogwai creatures are mean-spirited and mischievous, with Gizmo, the most famous mogwai, being a rare exception
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    A little hut? Hardly! All it is now is a themed ice cream and refreshment stand! But hey, I've never been to Africa, so for all I know, it could all be about ice cream and soda over there anyway... what do I know?
    Yep, that's as close as I'm getting to Africa...

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Darkzeid is offline A-Ticket holder
    Originally they wanted to have an Equitorial Africa pavilion, with a lot of inspiration from Alex Haley(the author of Roots). Unfortunately Disney was unable to get an African company to sponsor the pavilion. The only country that was willing to sponsor the pavilion was South Africa. This was well before apartheid was abolished there, so that was definitely out.
    I would love to see an Indian pavilion put in. It has a wide variety of culture and cuisine. Plus it has characters from The Jungle Book that they could create an attraction out of. Same thing with Greece and Hercules.

disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I had heard that there was talk of another "country" to be added but then the country was never named. This was about 7-10 years ago. Personally, I would love to see Austrailia added. Epcot would be ok with all that Austraila has to offer, some that have been mentioned here, but I think with all the animals that they have there, Maybe AK would be the best place. I know that I will never get there and to see it in my favorite place would be the next best thing!
    Second star to the right....straight on till morning!!!:mickey:

Jennasis is offline A-Ticket holder
    AHem...isn't Mexico part of Central America? Only the US and Canada are part of N. America.

A pavillion for the following would be nice:
    India
    Brazil/Argentina/Chile
    Australia/New Zealand
    South Africa/Kenya
    Russia

Then we could have most of the world covered!

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    As depicted in the 1984 Joe Dante film Gremlins and its 1990 sequel Gremlins 2: The New Batch, the word mogwai is used by some Chinese characters to describe a rare sentient animal. It is a furry, cute creature that if exposed to the right stimuli will transform into, and/or create (given the circumstance) gremlins. If exposed to water, it immediately reproduces more of its kind asexually; if it eats food after midnight, it becomes a gremlin (a more reptilian and evil creature). Sunlight will kill a mogwai and other lights will annoy or hurt it. Most of the mogwai creatures are mean-spirited and mischievous, with Gizmo, the most famous mogwai, being a rare exception
    Actually Mogwai is from the first Gremlins movie too. Gizmo is a Mogwai (that's Gizmo in the avatar).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast