Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Astro Orbiter rehab? in the News & Rumors forums; I undersatand the AO was supposed to go down for rehab later this month, but is it true that due to mechnical issues the ride was taken down already, and ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Astro Orbiter rehab?

I undersatand the AO was supposed to go down for rehab later this month, but is it true that due to mechnical issues the ride was taken down already, and has been partially dismantled, including the rockets as well as the center spindle?

Anyone down in the area have any pictures?
    Last edited by Lou Mongello; 01-14-2005 at 10:04 AM.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I undersatand the AO was supposed to go down for rehab later this month, but is it true tha tdue to mechnical issues the ride was taken down already, and has been partially dismantled, including the rockets as well as the center spindle?

Anyone down in the area have any pictures?
    From what I hear it went 101 in December about a week shy of the original target date for rehab
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

becca0010 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I was there last weekend and it is definetly down. Going again this weekend, I'll try to get some pics. It was hard to tell what they are doing to it though, maybe with a zoom lense it will give some clues.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Can't understand why they would rehab AO and not junk it for something else. What that would be, I have no idea. Perhaps, some kind of whirly lightshow thing to look at. AO doesn't seem to be one anyone's "must do at WDW" list.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    When I was there almost 2 weeks ago, it was covered in a tarp,but I could see some of the astros, etc where still there. Also, I never saw anyone working on it. But it was most certainly closed.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    It will be open again in the middle of March
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    Can't understand why they would rehab AO and not junk it for something else. What that would be, I have no idea. Perhaps, some kind of whirly lightshow thing to look at. AO doesn't seem to be one anyone's "must do at WDW" list.
    My kids love to go on the "Star Jets" (we always call everything by its original name) especially at night.

The attraction is fun for kids who outgrow Dumbo but still like those type of rides. I even like going on it at night -- the view of MK and the CR is great!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I concur in thinking there is a place for these rides that are not "must-dos" A lot of the attractions that were "A", "B", or "C" ticket attractions may not be must-dos but still add to the overall of experience sometimes just by thier visual presence, seeing those rocket jets spinning knowing people are up there having fun is great and makes part of the whole scene.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot

The Astro Orbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    I agree but for different reasons. I'm not much for heights and the Astro Orbiter is very high up. When I went on it in 99, I felt like I was going to fall.

Ultimatewdwfan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I hope they put a drain in the rockets, last time I was on, it was raining and the bottom was full of water.

Does anyone know if they re-opened.

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    yes, they've been open for just about a month now.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

contence is offline A-Ticket holder
    the planets are what is being refurbushed (?) not the rockets themselves

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I'd ride it if I trusted it. I too feel like I'm gonna fall out and end up hanging from the arm while it goes round and round.

bigT is offline A-Ticket holder
    why do OR when you can do the TommorowLand Transit Authorithy (PeopleMover)!!!!!!!

contence is offline A-Ticket holder

Never Fear

Tampa, there is no way to fall out. I was nervious when I got back on it after years of staying away due to the long line. After I got off, I totally liked it better now than the last time I had ridden it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast