Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Disney owns property in Virginia? Is this true? in the News & Rumors forums; I heard somewhere - can't remember where - that Disney owned some property in Virginia, not too far from Washington, DC. There was going to be a theme park built ...
    AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

Disney owns property in Virginia? Is this true?

I heard somewhere - can't remember where - that Disney owned some property in Virginia, not too far from Washington, DC. There was going to be a theme park built on it someday based on American history.

Is this true? Can someone elaborate?

Thanks!
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    In 1993, Disney announced they were going to build a park called "Disney's America" in Virginia. Public outcry against it was so strong that they scrapped the idea in 1994. I don't know if they sold off the land or not.

Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_America
    This website has some great concept art: Disney's America
    and this is an excerpt from Michael Eisner's book Work in Progress that describes the battle for the project: Work in Progress
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

FriendOfTigger is offline A-Ticket holder
    To set the record straight once and for all... The only unused and undeveloped land The Disney Corporation and all of it's subsidiaries owns is the 38 some odd square miles in Central Florida, a good portion of which is dedicated to wildlife preservation now.

FriendOfTigger is offline A-Ticket holder
    Just to clarify, I know Disney World is 47 square miles... I said undeveloped land.

toaddisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    In 1993, Disney announced they were going to build a park called "Disney's America" in Virginia. Public outcry against it was so strong that they scrapped the idea in 1994.
    funny story, i live in virginia and lived here when the park was announced, most people in virginia was excited about the park being built. it was a single @ and his friends that stoped the park from being built, and there was a hudge public out cry against him and the park being cancled. i cant remember the guys name, but they showed his picture in the paper and he rapidly became one of the most hated people in virginia, well at least in the part i live.

whats funny about it is they never published in the news the large amount of people who where upset with the decision and hated the guy for doing it. having a disney theme park in virginia based off history was a great idea most people supported, in fact i think the amount of people that supported the park triple the amount of people who where against it.

its wierd how public opinion only counts for when you do the opisite sometimes.

oh well, theres always next time to get a new theme park i geus.

on the plus side though my mom looking at the guys picture in the paper was the first time i saw her cus someone out, well a picture at least.

toaddisney is offline A-Ticket holder

hi

oops duble post

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    yup my dad told me about that I was to young to remember it but I do recall my dad saying something about that. Stupid guy and his friends had to ruin it for the rest of us who would loved it!!
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I don't quite get why people would've had an issue with that. Seems like it was a cute idea. Public outcry... sheeze. You know how much money that would've brought into Virginia? Or... what's more... how much CLOSER TO ME THAT WOULD'VE BEEN?!?! LOL!!!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

AAADisneyFan is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I don't quite get why people would've had an issue with that. Seems like it was a cute idea. Public outcry... sheeze. You know how much money that would've brought into Virginia?
    it's too bad it didn't pan out...I would have gone to this park!
    AAADisneyFan
    Eleven Visits Since 2003!!

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I don't quite get why people would've had an issue with that. Seems like it was a cute idea. Public outcry... sheeze. You know how much money that would've brought into Virginia? Or... what's more... how much CLOSER TO ME THAT WOULD'VE BEEN?!?! LOL!!!!
    Ohhh, yeah, that would have put my house within 1/2 an hour of a Disney Park!!! I didn't live there at the time, but I do now, oh so sad!
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    I live in Norfolk, Va and it would be awesome if a park was built in Va but it would be better if it was a different concept.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    How far was it from Washington or Williamsburg? If Disney still owned the land, that would have been a great place for a DVC Resort.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

That would be a great idea!

"All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

KimDWT is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I live in the DC Suburbs (MD) and while I would love a park so close to home, I don't think it was just one person and his buds who objected to the park. Similar opposition was met for a much smaller 5 star resort/spa nearby and it barely made it through approval. In a region where all the small towns have disappeared and been replaced by urban sprawl - the locals don't want their area to change too much and they have the money and influence to slow the pace.

In Disney's case the reason was "destroying history", in the other resort's case they were worried about Aspenization (cuz that place won't be cheap - over $500 a night probably) and the area not being accessible for the locals.

How far was it from Washington or Williamsburg? If Disney still owned the land, that would have been a great place for a DVC Resort.
    It would not have been close to Williamsburg as that's more south (2.5 hours away) and this area is west of DC. It would have been a GREAT location though as it's not too far from a major ariport (Dulles) and maybe 45 minutes from an alternate (National) and by an already established highway.

And the traffic couldn't be any worse than it is in Orlando around Disney during rush hour... ok now I wish they had gone ahead with it.

1980's 3 trips offsite - 1991, 1994 Offsite, 1997 CBR, 1999 BC, 2001 Swan, 2005 Offsite, 2006 Swan & Dolphin - DL offsite, 2008 Disneyland Paris offsite, 2009 AKL CL/Poly GVCL, Swan/Dolphin (2x/ea), 2010 WL, YC, AKV (Jambo), POFQ/BC, OKW/SSR, BWI CL/GF SL for Girl Trip 2.0, OKW Swaggervilla #augcrewunion, DL Hotel, YC CL W&D5K, Poly Dec Reunion 2010, 2011 Jan Who knows yet Feb 2011 BC

www.luxurytravelgirl.blogspot.com

One day they will propably do something with the property..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast