Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Gratuity on food... in the News & Rumors forums; Having lived and visited overseas for a good many of my married life, I know that the United States is basically the only country that tips regularly, and where tipping ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Having lived and visited overseas for a good many of my married life, I know that the United States is basically the only country that tips regularly, and where tipping is not a gift for good service, but is completely expected. If you are an American overseas, you are expected to tip too. Since so many visitors are from other countries where tipping is not the norm, this could have been a part of what has caused the 18% automatic gratuity. I think 18% is steep, especially where staff is basically bringing you a drink, but if you didn't get hit with the automatic gratuity, you'd see a dramatic price increase to pay better wages. Then the staff would have to pay higher taxes on their higher wages, and actually may end up taking home less. I would much prefer to have tipping be used as it should be; a reward for good service, but I don't ever see that happening.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

ungis is offline E-Ticket Holder

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    Eighteen percent would be fine IF it would GUARANTEE good service. But that is the purpose of a tip. To reward for good service---or it is in my opinion!
    I totally agree!! The whole purpose of having tips is to REWARD great service, 18 % is way too much, specially for a buffet, where they only bring you drinks and clear your dirty plates. I give my tips based on the service I receive, it shouldn't be imposed.
    Can't wait to go back !!!
    First WDW trip June, 1996 - Lots of Disneyland trips in between -Last WDW trip December, 2006
    WDW College Program Alumni - Fall 2001
    Hello to all Disney fans !!!

sbmmickey is offline A-Ticket holder
    18% is too much for a buffet or counter service. That's why I avoid the Pepper Market!

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    18% is insane on buffets! I can't stand the fact that people just expect tips nowadays everywhere you do....ice cream place, donut shop, etc....tips are rendered when you get good service...and an automatic tip of 18% is ludicrous
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12