Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Change to Kilimanjaro Safari? in the News & Rumors forums; I was listening to another Disney podcast this morning when I heard them say that they'd changed the storyline of the Kilimanjaro Safari ride at Animal Kingdom. The hosts said ...
    Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Change to Kilimanjaro Safari?

I was listening to another Disney podcast this morning when I heard them say that they'd changed the storyline of the Kilimanjaro Safari ride at Animal Kingdom. The hosts said they didn't care for the change much. The only specific changes they really mentioned was that they had gotten rid of the "I love potholes" bumper stickers on the trucks, but apparently recently put them back on. Also they said that Ms. Jobson is no longer part of the script and that Warden Wilson no longer says, "Ms. Jobson, no one in Africa calls them Thompson's Gazelle, they are Tommies, Tommmies".

Was just curious if anyone else had seen/heard about these changes. I haven't been to AK in a while so I haven't seen any changes, but I haven't heard about the attraction theme being changed on any other podcast except the one I was just listening to.

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Sorria; 01-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I have not been on it since the story change. But I did talk to a cast member who is a driver and he said that they don't call the elephant "Little Red" anymore. And that the poacher part of the story is gone. I hope that they still have the part where they say "They are called Tomies, Tommmmies", my son's name is Tommy and he always smiles when they say that. Even now and he is 15 years old!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Y'know, I almost wonder if that's a daily thing. We have some CMs on here who may could confirm deny but I remember when we went on KS the trip before last (so that would've been Aprilish?) they skipped the whole poachers thing with us. They sipped the shakey bridge thing too, just drove right over it.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    when i went to AK in like june/july they definetly got rid of big red and little red! i think they still had the tommies line when i went and they defiently had the shaking bridge and no poachers! i cant remeber about mrs jobson though but there was definetly less radio communication between simba1 and wilson!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I rode it in December and it was basically the same as the old story. The only difference is that the woman on the plane is gone and Big Red and Little Red's names have been changed (I think they are just Mom and Baby elephant).
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

mmouse6937 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We unfortunately were unable to make a "trek" last trip, but if I remember right from the year before, I was confused that they didn't have the bridge and the poacher thing was way different. I also know we had to stop on the trail for a LONG time because there were some animals thinking of fighting in front of us, so I don't know if that kinda sped the whole thing up a bit.
    Sarah

76-84 Two Trips as a Child, '00 Best Western LBV, '01 Best Western LBV, '02 Polynesian (OUR DISNEYMOON!!), '03 CBR, '05 CBR, '06 DisneyLand, '07 POR, 09/08 CBR, 12/08 BC, 09/09 BW, 03/10 POP, 12/10 POP, 11/12 Dream Cruise 2.0

My babies: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

"Saving one animal will not change the world, but surely for that one animal the world will change forever"

mwmiller is offline A-Ticket holder
    I was at DAK in October and again last month in December; in both cases the Tommies reference was gone, as were some of the elements of the Poachers substory.

I asked about the Ms. Jobson-Tommies thing (it's my favorite line in the script) and the CM told me that the reason the line is gone is because the Tommies are gone -- temporarily. According to our CM, they had removed most of the herd for breeding, and nearly all the removed females got pregnant at the same time. The decision was made that, until after they give birth, the entire herd is being kept off-stage so that they can be together for the gestation and a while after birth. Once the young Tommies are old enough, then the herd will be rotated out back on the old schedule.

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    really i didnt know that neat fact that is probably why i heard the tommie line in june/july! Good to Know!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

Pooq45 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Just got back. The bumper stickers are still there. I remember seeing the 'I love potholes' one specifically

JamboJohn is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile

I can speak from and informed position as i drive the safaris about 10 hours every day...

The big red and little red story line is in fact gone. Wilson kept talking over some prime animal viewing so the story was re-arranged.

The tilting bridge is turned off sometimes due to guest levels as it slows the attraction down. we can shave precious minutes off our show times and move a few thousand more guests in the course of a day without it active.

" I love potholes " never left, they are just not on every truck.

The tommies are indeed pregnant and were removed from show because if we just removed those about to give birth, they may not be accepted back into the herd.

Wilson's airplane was removed and sold at property control for $500.

Did I cover everything? Ask away and I will be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.

I may be going in March so i'm excited to see the changes!
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by JamboJohn View Post
    I can speak from and informed position as i drive the safaris about 10 hours every day...

[snipped]

Did I cover everything? Ask away and I will be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.
    to DWT, JamboJohn! Thanks for the info!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

JamboJohn is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    to DWT, JamboJohn! Thanks for the info!
    thank you !!

pupdogwolf is offline A-Ticket holder
    I just got back from my Disney trip and there WERE some changes. They didn't do the Tommies line, and the elephants weren't called by name. However, the bridge still shook and everything else APPEARED to be the same.
    1997-Offsite
    2001-Offsite
    2005-Wilderness Lodge
    2007-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2008- Offsite (Grrr darn parents)