Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Theme Park to be added to DW in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by albino_pygmy Sure they could make a thrill park, and sure they could add more thrill rides to the existing parks, but think about this, where would you ...
    coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    Sure they could make a thrill park, and sure they could add more thrill rides to the existing parks, but think about this, where would you add thrill attractions in the existing parks? Unless there's room for expansion at the existing parks, something's gotta go in order to make room for the newer thrill rides. Chances are, it's probably an attraction everyone can experience together as a family and then being replaced to a high speed thrill ride that would probably seperate the family in half. I think having a thrill park would be a better idea and come up and if you want to add something new in the other parks, make them'family' attractions where everyone could ride together without being torn apart because someone doesn't want to ride. I would like to see the thrills removed from Epcot, and have the pavillions restored to their former glory, but then again, I don't think anyone would enjoy riding a 10+ minute slow moving educational ride about the history of transportation, but what if they stepped it up a notch, I'm sure they could come up with an awsome attraction about transportation without relying on pixar's movie "Cars" instead of a slot-car racetrack from heck.
    I would wish that World of Motion would return to Epcot the way that it was because it had funny scenes and unlike other Epcot rides(I tried Living With the Land and I hated it as well as both versions of the Seas), it would still fit in with most of the attractions being either tongue-in-cheek or have Disney characters. Test Track isn't one of my favorites besides the Brake tests & the tractor trailer. I've gone 60+ miles before and can do that in other theme parks or even at the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Anyway, why should only ONE park have thrill rides? That would drive the thrill seekers to this one park and separate them potentially from their family for the entire day. My dad had an accident in which he can't go on many thrill rides and/or several normal rides due to his hip. He can go and see MuppetVision 3-D, TTA, Star Tours and rides of that sort but not a Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain like he use to and he doesn't mind sitting out of those rides(despite not being able to ride the Matterhorn Bobsleds this May) and lives the Disney park through my mom, my brother's an my eyes. However, that doesn't mean I would like to go in a park without him where he can't do anything, no. Not at all. He has only been to Disney Parks since the accident because he doesn't wish to goto a park where he can't do anything.

As for adding thrill ride to the other parks, sure you got the whole room issue but what if there was a ride that no-one loved and never went into after their first ride, why keep it in there? Look at the Imagination Pavilion's second version, it was entirely crippled and no-one loved it at all and so it was changed to add Figment back in. No-one complained that Disney got rid of the second Imagination attraction, if anything it was that the ride isn't the original to which I say, the same rides that were around during the openings of the park have enough opportunity costs that weigh putting them back in the parks. Tarzan Rocks, was a stage show that had a limited shelf-life, Horizons was sinking and it was a long dark ride much like Universe of Energy is, nearly next door, Mr. Toad, no-one knew who Toad was and the 20,000 Leagues subs had their problems. So with this, why put in attractions that only some people would love to go on while most of the general public would not?

In closing I got this one minor question and that is, if you have the same type of thrill attractions by you like in a 3/4 hour radius as you do in Disney World only the Disney thrill attractions are slightly tamer, would you really want to do the Disney World thrill rides?

angharad is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak516 View Post
    Anyway, why should only ONE park have thrill rides? That would drive the thrill seekers to this one park and separate them potentially from their family for the entire day. My dad had an accident in which he can't go on many thrill rides and/or several normal rides due to his hip. He can go and see MuppetVision 3-D, TTA, Star Tours and rides of that sort but not a Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain like he use to and he doesn't mind sitting out of those rides(despite not being able to ride the Matterhorn Bobsleds this May) and lives the Disney park through my mom, my brother's an my eyes. However, that doesn't mean I would like to go in a park without him where he can't do anything, no. Not at all. He has only been to Disney Parks since the accident because he doesn't wish to goto a park where he can't do anything.
    That's where it becomes a family issue, not a Disney issue. I'm sure it's a pain for thrill-seeking families to have to jump park-to-park to see the major thrill rides at Disney, but they've done it without any real complaining so far. One thing that I like about Disney is that there is a nice mix of rides...it isn't just the typical choice of "thrill" or "kiddie", as it is in many parks. But, as I've said previously, Disney has already started the niche market parks, and I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded with a thrill park at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak516 View Post
    In closing I got this one minor question and that is, if you have the same type of thrill attractions by you like in a 3/4 hour radius as you do in Disney World only the Disney thrill attractions are slightly tamer, would you really want to do the Disney World thrill rides?
    Before I moved to Florida, I lived in Connecticut - close to two amusement parks, Six Flags New England (formerly Riverside), and Lake Compounce. Despite going to both of them frequently, I still love the Disney World thrill rides. Why? Because Disney does rides "properly", and they pay attention to things like theme and mood. For example, there's a "thrill" coaster that both Six Flags and Compounce have - "Flashback" or "Zoomerang", depending on where you are. It's that standard coaster that puts you through three inversions, then pulls you through them backwards. It's a fun ride, but I can't do it more than once and it's difficult for me to ride anything else after. Yet I can ride Rock-n-Roller coaster 4 or 5 times in a row, despite it having inversions. It's just a smoother ride that doesn't mess with my head or neck. Disney is also all about theming. I can go on a drop ride at any amusement park, but there's only one Tower of Terror. I can only think of one "thrill" ride of both Six Flags and Compounce that has a modicum of theming to it - the Houdini ride at Six Flags.

So to answer your question - yes, I'd still go to Disney for a thrill ride, even if it's a bit tamer. A ride isn't just something to do for a minute or two, it should be an experience in and of itself. You don't get that at an amusement park.

Yeah, that was part of a loaded statement...

dude22blue is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Hey some people might like a villain park. I mean there are alot of people who like the villain store in MG.....the Studios so why not a whole theme park. Although what would the rides be like. Kinda of messed up for disney to turn everything upside down though. Some dark side of me still wants to see it go through though.

That's the problem, many of us would like to see it BUT can we actually see it, no-one knows. I know all of us would like to see it, but I know at least with me, I can't see Disney doing this not just because it is a niche market but, Disney is for FAMILIES. Granted Disney would make some money off of it, but how good would the return on investment be for it?

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    Somebody sounds like they're fluent in business! lol

I felt that I had to put my two cents in here though. I don't know how I feel about this idea. I personally would find it interesting and probably like a lot of the rides, but because of the nature and name of Disney and what it represents I can't see them doing this. Granted, their mission statement is to make people happy and some would be, I don't think it would satisfy a whole ton of people. At least not for what people expect out of Disney.
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

stitch918 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I know that the rumor about the villain park and the thrill park have kind of gone around together but Disney could just as easily do a villain park with rides that were tamer and the whole family could enjoy. Of course, villains lend themselves easily to roller coasters and thrill rides but they could do some fun classic Disney dark rides too.
    Dropping out and moving to Disney World because characters only have to be sixteen.

Mustard! Now let's not be silly!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    Time to chime in on this topic.

Let's take a step back and examine the current WDW parks and what niche they reflect.

Magic Kingdom - the classics of Disney (the heroes and the villans)
    Epcot - our world (both various countries and elements of our world - motion, space, sea, land, energy, etc.)
    Hollywood Studios - all about entertainment, Disney style
    Animal Kingdom - adventure with animals and our environment

So if Disney was going to build a 5th gate, it would be best to see what other nichs may be possible. In my opinion, a villans park is too thin as a niche - there's not much there to build upon. It's kind of a one-trick pony.

Also remember what additional "niche" park was Disney looking at previously -- American History. Anyone remember Disney America that was proposed for the Washington DC area? The idea fell through for several reasons, one of which was that the park was proposed to go right next to the site of the Battle of Manassas/Battle of Bull Run (pick your name depending on if you live in the north or the south).

I have a gut feeling Disney's not done with the history niche. It could easily be done in Central Florida as opposed to Virginia.

I can see the "lands" now:
    Native american campground -- a big profile of native american cultures
    Revolution Street -- life during the revolution
    Williamsburg Court -- small recreation of Colonial Williamsburg (which Walt visited frequently)
    The Civil War - much more emphasis on the era of Lincoln (whom Walt idolized)

I'm sure other possiblities are out there.

Like I said, think about what niche hasn't been done yet. What is listed above is just an example and is NOT a rumor.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

Disney's America has turned into an urban legend. I think the best place for it was inthe original area of Virginia. Florida to me doesn't have the national history Virgina does.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I love American History, so naturally I love the Disney's America idea. I wish that they would go through with it. The ONLY problem that I have with it coming to WDW is that WDW already has 2 colonial themed areas (Liberty Square and The American Adventure). I don't think that would be a problem, but I would rather see "America" go some place else. Maybe not Northern Virginia, but some place tied to colonial history (or they could put it in my neighborhood, I wouldn't mind!).
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

BeastlyKingdom? is offline finally in college... hello disney college program
    ScreamScape.com reports

media chummed the Disney waters today with his latest report about a possible new 5th park project in the works called Disney’s Night Kingdom. This concept is apparently something to compete with Discovery Cove and will feature a limited number of guests in a very interactive environment at a very premium price ($250-300). I can confirm that ever since SeaWorld first announced their plans for Discovery Cove, Disney has slaving away on a number of ideas to create a similar high-end concept, though most of them have involved finding an alternate use for the closed down Discovery Island and River Country areas. (Anyone remember the old rumor about Disney hiring the Myst video game team to create an adventure concept for them?)
    Anyway, after reading through Jim’s (Jim Hill) article my first real impression is that this isn’t a plan for a 5th park at all, but more of a concept for a high-end after-hours tour experience around the resort. In his own descriptions it mentions guests checking in at an expanded Adventure’s Club location, night-vision tours of the savanna at Animal Kingdom, a tour of a bat cave and other things that all sound like they take place in existing areas of Walt Disney World after the rest of the daytime guests have gone home. A lot of the idea really sounds more like a nighttime version of the same kind of Adventure Tour concept cruise lines offer at the various ports, except that instead of offering it to cruise guests, it will be offered to Walt Disney World Resort guests on property. Seen in that light, it does make sense and sounds like something that could be arranged with a small capital investment cost, since the key is finding a way to make money off of many resort areas that are closed at night, which was pretty much the same concept that drove Disney to create the whole Grad Night concept in the first place.
    But I’m just not buying it as a concept for an official 5th Park. Just by calling it a “5th Park” would indicate to most guests that it would be something included in their Park Hopper options, which it clearly would not be. Keeping in mind the concept’s rumored Adventure’s Club check-in location, I’m just going to call Disney’s Night Kingdom an “Adventure Tour” and nothing more.
    the only 18 year old boy who like disney more than girls......... nvm disney is a close 2nd

I think back on why i am so strange now i know why .... I blame Disney but i still love it

" we have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment."
    - walt disney

Good ol' Jim Hill. The funny thing is people in the media ALREADY used Jim Hill Media's post as the TRUTH.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    Let's get one thing staight here! There will never be a Villain themed Disney park

OK
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

dishippy is offline A-Ticket holder

I've heard this resurface too

I've heard that they have been talking about a 5 theme park again. I think what the theme is is what the rumor's are. I think the idea of a villlain theme park could be interesting. I mean just think, Your walking up through a TBA main drag and there in the distance up on the hill is Maleficent's Castle. That would sell me right there. Then you can theme attractions, they don't all have to be thrill rides, on the various villains throughout disney history. This would be an interesting idea, but it wouldn't sell to a wide enough demographic. Maybe if there was a villains land inside of a TBA theme park. I mean, to me, that just seems more logic and easier to manage. I don't know though, what do you guys think? What else do you guys think would be cool going in there. There's always Beastly Kingdom?

DisneyDreamz99 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by stitch918 View Post
    I hate to be redundant but Disney really needs to focus on what they have right now. . . Also, where did this rumor originate from? (because it's been floating around for years it seems)

I agree I think they should try and update the parks they already have. Like Animal Kingdom...it is sure to expand in the future.

I think Disney will do great with just expanding on what they have before jumping into another park itself.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast