Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Canada attraction??? in the News & Rumors forums; Has anone else heard the umor that there are plans to build a white water rapids attraction as part of the Canadian pavilion? Possibly with a Brother Bear theme?...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Canada attraction???

Has anone else heard the umor that there are plans to build a white water rapids attraction as part of the Canadian pavilion? Possibly with a Brother Bear theme?
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

adambreakey is offline Moderator
    Ace - I did hear about this and it appears to be pretty valid. The Soarin show building is huge (I have seen it, it is big!) and it is very visible from the world showcase. So, instead of ruining the 'show' of the Canadian pavilion they have decided to try and hide the Soarin building by creating a larger mountain range between the two. This new Mountain range will then be the new home of the Brother Bear rapid ride.

This rumor also indicates that the brother bear AA figures will be made twice, the second set going to DCA to freshen up the Grizzly Rapid Ride there.

Sounds pretty legit - rumored timetable - look for the ride to open late 2007/early 2008.

adamb
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Adam,

Welcome back! We haven't heard from you in a while!! (having a newborn leaves little time for WDW trivia... I know... How's the little one doing?)

Anyway, this Canada thing sounds interesting. It would be nice to see another attraction in WS. I'm going to try and locate an aerial photo of the new construction to see how much space there is between the Soarin' building and Canada, just out of curiosity.
    Lou Mongello

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Jim Hill posted a whole article on this today. personally, I love the idea of a new attraction in the WS (as much as I love the place already, a few good attractions would help alot). the only problem I have is with the theme. I'm really not sure Brother Bear was a big enough success to warrant a new attraction based on it. it did ok, not great, but ok, and I just can't help but wonder who is gonna care about it 3-4 years down the road when the attraction finally opens. It would be like opening an Emperer's New Groove attraction today, who cares?
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Jim Hill posted a whole article on this today. personally, I love the idea of a new attraction in the WS (as much as I love the place already, a few good attractions would help alot). the only problem I have is with the theme. I'm really not sure Brother Bear was a big enough success to warrant a new attraction based on it. it did ok, not great, but ok, and I just can't help but wonder who is gonna care about it 3-4 years down the road when the attraction finally opens. It would be like opening an Emperer's New Groove attraction today, who cares?

If Jim Hill said it, it will more than likely happen. I tend to believe him more so than Al Lutz of Miceage.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    To compare Brother Bear to Emperor doesn't sit well with me. I was not the biggest fan of ENG, but Brother Bear is a great movie and in time will prove to be a classic. I think the story was strong and would make for a nice ride, especially a raft ride through the wilderness. I say go for it.

Now, if you said you thought they should make a ride for Treasure Planet -- I would have to argue against that.

just mho

adamb

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm not comparing it based on the quality of the film. I haven't even seen BB yet (which ilustrates part of the problem, I used to see all the Disney animated features in the theater). I was comparing sucess based on popularity. The BB merchandise was marked down like 50-75% at the Disney Stores.... while the film was still in theaters!

as far as Jim Hill goes... i still read the site everyday, but I'm taking what he says with a larger grain of salt everyday. more and more he seems to "report" stories that come from seemingly disgruntled "insiders" which are easily shut down by the people on his message boards.
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

I understand - I just wish people would give BB a chance - it is a good movie.

As far as this rumor goes though, I heard the rumor a week before Jim posted his story -- so, either he has the same contact as I do, or the rumor has a bit more substance than other items he has posted lately.

adamb

LilMarcieMouse is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I finally got to see Brother Bear at work and liked it alot.

But you know Disney if they think they need to they will amke a cartoon out of it so kids will get excited.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

Loric is offline D-Ticket Holder
    About this attraction...

Imagineering has been trying, since Epcot opened, to put a white water ride in a mountain somewhere in the world showcase.

The plans for the Mt. Fuji were even publicly displayed and had rafts careening through the mountain in vibrant artist renderings. Pretty much any country that could possibly have a mountain they tried to put it into. Canada has always had a good relationship with Disney as far as the attractions are concerned - look at how well modern Canadian vendors are represented in the pavillion like "Roots" the apparrel that became popular after the Salt Lake olympics.

Fuji was almost built in Japan because of the good relationship between the Mitsukoshi corp. and Disney. Germany almost had the Rhine River boat ride and look at the number of German companies that are represented in its stores.

So, there's a very good chance if they swing the right deal with Canada that it will get built. The Imagineers have been pushing for this type of project for ages and Canada itself has a lot to benefit from having the main pull in the World Showcase, ontop of what is already a good relationship.

Also - designing for Epcot is sort of the Imagineering holy grail...

The attractions tend to get huge budgets and lots of creative leeway. Many of the "better" attractions you see in the smaller parks were originally designed for Epcot - but getting a project approved for Epcot is extremely difficult. Soarin' will be the first attraction ever "cloned" into Epcot, and HISTA was the only attraction ever copied from Epcot.

Epcot, from an imagineering perspective, holds very high standards, gets the newest and best technology, and has more room to "grow" than any other park.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I'm going to try and locate an aerial photo of the new construction to see how much space there is between the Soarin' building and Canada, just out of curiosity.

Tons of room there! The Soarin Bldg is huge as well. Plenty of room left for a connection to Canada. Sounds like they are finally balancing the weight of Epcot a little more.

There was essentially a massive wedge that expanded out from between Imagination and the Land. If i remember right, two Soarin's could fit on the plot of land and that's not expanding outward from the main "ring" past the perimeter road - past which expansion, particularly on that side, is endless.

The only attraction that currently goes beyond the road is Test Track.

Also, that space was the original site planned for the Great Movie Ride - it's really big.
    Last edited by Loric; 04-16-2004 at 02:54 PM.

This was all I could find...

Lou Mongello

Oh, for a surreal experience.. Think about the shape of the O Canada theater - round right?

Well, now imagine if it was just a building.. a sorta tall looking round-ish building, right? Plop the back side of fake mountains and some trees with tons of piping running all over the place for the waterfalls and paint it all "Go-Away-Green" and you have what the backside of Canada really looks like - just beyond the peaks you can see atop the show building is literally straight down to parking lot and access roadway.

It reminds me of those rooftop gardens on skyscrapers. Bottom half is all industrial lookin but the top is lush and green with rock formations and waterfalls.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast