Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Pop Century - Legendary Years in the News & Rumors forums; Does anyone know of any plans to finish out the Legendary Years side of Pop any time soon? Every time I look at the shots I took the last time ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Pop Century - Legendary Years

Does anyone know of any plans to finish out the Legendary Years side of Pop any time soon? Every time I look at the shots I took the last time we stayed there (from across the bridge and through the trees) I get a little sad. So depressing to see the unfinished 20's 30's 40's building sitting across the way and the horrible primer brown paint on the two buildings that did get erected.

Was poking around on Google Earth today too and found an ariel shot of it and noticed they even began to lay out the rest of the buildings in the foundation (you can see the marks in the dirt).

I'd just love love love to stay here (I love those eras) and it kills me to see Disney started something and never finished it (rare).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    And POP is so successful! They could easily fill up those rooms!

Exactly! And lord knows they can always add more places to stay on property and stay booked. It's just soooo weird to see something go unfinished... and a little sad... Especially when you look at how far it got (the building even has the initial theming on the front). Even the bridge was completed with theming... it's just a bridge to nowhere unfortunately.

Here's a couple of the shots I got on the last trip:

Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Jeff Lange did an article about this very subject on Jim Hill Media sometime in 2006, I think.

Here's the link to the article:

Jeff Lange : How Suite will this be? A closer look at the uncompleted portion of WDW's Pop Century resort
    Lisa

"No capes!"

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    This makes me sad too.
    Why haven't they finished the construction on those buildings?
    Could it possibly be a money problem?
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by bety View Post
    This makes me sad too.
    Why haven't they finished the construction on those buildings?
    Could it possibly be a money problem?
    I don't see Disney finishing them anytime in the near future. Remember that whole new development that will be taking place on the western edge of Disney property. There are plans for budget accommodations there.

Disney is also converting/developing much of their property into DVC units. In the past few years, they have built or are building Saratoga Springs, AKL villas and the Contemporary villas. There has been no activity as far as regular resorts go.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    When I was there in March, I sat out in front of my dad and brother's room at the Pop in the 50's section for a while in a lawnchair which happened to face Legendary Years and I did witness some minute construction across the way. Not enough to truly satisfy me but there was a Bobcat driving around.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I stayed at POP last weekend for the first time. I really liked the resort, but it was kinda strange to see this unfinished part. I overheard some people on the bus telling their kids "look they are building more rooms here" , little did they know.

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    its sad, almost like a post apoctalyptic thing to see just scares me a bit. i think they will be really cool when they are done though!!
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    the past few years i have stayed at pop there seems to be little progress going on over there i have never seen any construction vheiclels or workers... is there possibly a shortage of them or maybe this project took back seat to another one? im staying at pop in aug hopefully i will see some signs of improvement
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

I think the idea of the whole DVC thing is probably a good point to why construction was halted. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised to see them resume construction and make this side a DVC resort.

It just gives me chills to see it so uncompleted. It's so un-Disney like. ESPECIALLY being in full view. It'd be different if something went unfinished in another area of the property that you can't see but this is just so blatant.

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    yeah they didnt hide it too well
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

firemanx is offline A-Ticket holder
    If they made them into either a moderate side of POP of some sort of value or moderate suite that would be pretty cool. It's just such an eye sore I dont see Disney leaving them like that. Nock them down or finish them off.

tylersaurusrex is offline A-Ticket holder

legendary years

well the bridge that connects to the other part is called theGeneration Gap they stopped working on it after 9/11idk exactly why though

It's that bridge that makes it even more depressing for me. You walk across it and see all the nice theming and then hit a bunch of trees with a fence behind them. Makes me wanna just climb it and go see if anything was done inside the lobby.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast