Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Space Mountain Changes??? in the News & Rumors forums; I love the changes they made to Disneyland's Space Mountain. It is SO AWESOME being in complete darkness, the side-by-side seating, and the smoothness of the ride. I LOVE it. ...
    kebdal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I love the changes they made to Disneyland's Space Mountain. It is SO AWESOME being in complete darkness, the side-by-side seating, and the smoothness of the ride. I LOVE it.

I hope they duplicate the changes to Space Mountain in WDW. My gut tells me they'll do it before the 40th anniversary in 2011. I'm not going back to Disney until June 2010 - I really hope it's not closed down then, but things aren't looking good. They should plan the refurb better so it doesn't need to be closed for so long.
    Katie (33) and Elvis (41)
    DS Casey Michael (14)
    DS Tyler Anthony (12)
    DS Adisa Andwele (7)
    DS Jelani Aitan (5)
    DD Due August 25th!

DL: 1982, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, May 2008, Nov 2009
    WDW: 1999, May 2007, ~Oct 2010~

RBrooksC is offline A-Ticket holder
    Several years ago I was in MK and saw that SM was closed due to a technical problem. I asked a CM if she knew what was happening and she said it was a computer issue. I asked jokingly why they just don't reboot the server.

She said SM was still using a 1970 mainframe at the time albeit upgraded to modern standards. Since I work with computers, I asked why they are still using a mainframe instead of modern servers.

She said from what she had learned is that to convert the ride would take a replacement of the existing track and that would take about a year to do.

It sounds like with this refurb of SM, that they will be upgrading everything. It does make sense because if you are going to do it, shut down the ride and set it up so any near term future rehabs won't be as long.

Now, remember this is the information I received from a very cute CM who was at the wait board at MK. So, take it with a grain of salt.

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Two years?! That would be way too long!!! I hope it's not closed for that long, I was planning to go back to WDW in 2009.

I agree with everybody. It would be very cool to be completely in the dark and have it really feel more like going through space. But, the music cannot change!!!!! That is one of my most distinct Disney memories, waiting in the SM line with that eerie, futuristic space music playing. It totally completes the experience!! I think they will have a lot of upset people, who have known and loved the ride for many years, if they change it. There is already a rock rollercoaster at Hollywood, I don't know why they would need to change SM to one as well.

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!
    When my family made our reservations for our 2009 summer trip. My dad asked about changes to Space Mountain. The lady said that she had heard nothing about Space Mountain being closed for 2 years. I do not know if it is because she just does not know or what.. but that is what someone from Disney told us
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

RBrooksC is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneymaniac87 View Post
    When my family made our reservations for our 2009 summer trip. My dad asked about changes to Space Mountain. The lady said that she had heard nothing about Space Mountain being closed for 2 years. I do not know if it is because she just does not know or what.. but that is what someone from Disney told us
    I highly doubt any Reservations CM would say something until it there is an official announcement. Last year the RNRC went down for Refurb for a few weeks in September last year. The announcement for that wasn't made until about a month before it happened.

Right now, the SM refurb is a rumor that has taken a life of its own. I doubt it would be closed for two years. Disney would make sure that it would be no more than a year especially if they are doing a major structural overhaul which is what has been speculated.

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, it is still very much rumor and last I heard a budget has not been approved, but heresay has the timeline for closing from January 2009 to September 2009 for partial track replacement within the same basic configuration, adding of onboard audio systems as well as numerous new special effects and props to bring the aging ride more in line with its California sibling. Take it for what it is worth.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    i think some changes to space mountain would be pretty cool. They could use some two-seaters and some loops. Not to mention some cool asteroid fields.
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I really hope it doesn't close as soon as 2009 starts. They can wait until the middle of January just so I can ride it in its original glory one last time!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    The best change would be to change the path of the track.Keep it as a mousetrap coaster,but completely change its course.Even make the ride last longer than it does.But! No inversions,because then,it would NOT be Space Mtn. It would be "just another roller coaster".Plus,I don't agree with the total blackness while riding.For me,it's fun and the ride is better to be able to see the track,even just a little bit.
    Park Hopper Dad!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I hope they keep the 3 chocolate chip cookies (asteroids) that fly by every few minutes.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    On the 11/02/08 WDW Radio podcast, a listener e-mailed a question pertaining to the closure of the TTA during the rumored rehab. I guess this would be collateral damage, but I would hope the TTA could still operate through the construction.

jbgoldengun is offline A-Ticket holder
    I seriously hope they don't change it for a while, cause i got some amazing plans for it once i become an Imagineer. Let me just say this. Inside and Outside. also, the rumors of it bein closed from January to Septembet of '09 is false, because i have checked for the month of March on what will be closed to see what i'll miss out on on my trip, and space mountian was not listed.
    Last edited by jbgoldengun; 12-08-2008 at 12:12 AM.
    Who would like Disney just as much as a cute girl? ME! Crazy, ain't i? Well, who cares. If you marry a cute girl and go to work at Disney World when you grow up, then everything is perfect for me.
    Future Disney Imagineer Architectural Designer! Boo Yah!
    Gonna Work There 'Til The Day I Join Haunted Mansion Ghosts and Make It 100 Happy Haunts

favortie parks in order
    1. 2. tie for 3. and
    It's the WEDWay Peoplemover...... I Don't Care What You Say..... It Has Been And Always Will Be....

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I read Plan on Celebrating Without Space | WDW News Today

on wdw news today that they took the name off the newer park maps
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

princesslb is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am going to WDW January 8th. Now, on the closings it mentions splash mountain. I cannot imagine WDW having splash mountain and space mountain closed at the same time. could anyone else?? this just wouldn't make sense to me!
    "all my wishes will come true."
    CP alumni spring 2008

princesslb is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am visiting wdw in early january. splash has a scheduled closing for when i am there. i cannot imagine them closing space at the same time too. wouldnt that be a little crazy??
    "all my wishes will come true."
    CP alumni spring 2008

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast