Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss New Turnstiles in the News & Rumors forums; I was reading the story from Lou about new turnstiles being installed at the park entrances. I was under the belief that the finger scanners were implimented to keep guests ...
    MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder

New Turnstiles

I was reading the story from Lou about new turnstiles being installed at the park entrances. I was under the belief that the finger scanners were implimented to keep guests from using there pass and somehow handing it over to another guest so they could use it to also gain entry. While it may seem like not such a big deal, that lose of revenue from the guest getting in for "free" would trickle down to the rest of the Paying customers in the long run.
    Think of it this way. If say 20% of the guests did this act of deceipt, that would mean more of a crowd in the park for the rest of the paying guests, not to mention the park needed extra cast members to handle the extra amount of guests, leading to more of an expense to WDW. which in turn always means an increase in cost to EVERY guest in the cost of everything.
    It may seem harmless, but is it fair?
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I know for a fact that the finger scan does not always work. I've seen friends use someone else annual to get in but the pass' owner was not there so only one person got in. No I don't think its right either but @ 600.00 plus per pass I can understand one bending the rules. I think Universal pass is less than 200.00
    As a trickle down I think that fugure would probably less than 1/10th of 1 percent. I used me annual 4 times last year for a total of 23 days and its a premium. Disney made money on me trust me.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Wouldnt the bar codes track the same way as the finger scans....once you use the bar code for the day then that ticket will read as used that day. So in effect if person A used their ticket at the MK and turns around and immediately hands it to person B--person B is not getting into the MK that day since it will show as used. The only drawback to this that I see will be if you leave the park for a while to go have dinner at one of the monorail resorts and then head back to the MK, will the ticket not allow you entry since it was already used that day. Only solution to that would be have you scan your ticket as you leave to show you actually exited. EH! Just a thot.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

It funny to think you can't park hop with a single park day ticket and they know it from the barcode. With the annual I don't think its such a big deal to them because its only going to be used to get in the park once. Whether you leave or not to come back its still an annual. I'm sure they have a formula to figure this out as to how many times a person comes and goes in a park. If say that person enters into a park twice within a minute or two and then goes to another park and does the same thing then Disney can mark the card to stop its use and report to guest services to find out whats going on.
    But if a annual is being used as its supposed to whether the person who owns it or not its still one person in the park. Its not right but its still 1 person for 1 ticket. Its all the same as head count concerned.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    A simple prevention method for keeping someone from passing the same ticket back to the person behind them for entry: once it has been swiped (bar code read), it can't be used for reentry for at least 15 or 30 minutes. In a case where somebody enters the gates and immediately realizes they left something in the car and exits, I'm sure they'd make an exception, but a time limit before the same ticket can be used again is probably all they need.

I would expect they have some kind of measure in place already that we just aren't aware of yet.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    It funny to think you can't park hop with a single park day ticket and they know it from the barcode. With the annual I don't think its such a big deal to them because its only going to be used to get in the park once. Whether you leave or not to come back its still an annual. I'm sure they have a formula to figure this out as to how many times a person comes and goes in a park. If say that person enters into a park twice within a minute or two and then goes to another park and does the same thing then Disney can mark the card to stop its use and report to guest services to find out whats going on.
    But if a annual is being used as its supposed to whether the person who owns it or not its still one person in the park. Its not right but its still 1 person for 1 ticket. Its all the same as head count concerned.
    The original article was not about annual passes but the method of entering the park with Your ticket. They have an idea how many park trips the average passholder makes in a year and they charge accordingly, even offering a discount for renewal. I would imagine if they added a time limit for coming back with the ticket then someone would work around that as well. parks are crowded enough without freeloaders making it worse. It's sad that it is accepted today that sneaking someone in is ok. The finger scanner at least kept the ticket or even passes linked to the one person that paid for it in the first place. As for someone elses comparison of the pass price of Universal to The annual pass, which as a DVC member costs just over $300.00 a year to Disney and there 4 parks is in no way a comparison.

Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyspalJim View Post
    The original article was not about annual passes but the method of entering the park with Your ticket. They have an idea how many park trips the average passholder makes in a year and they charge accordingly, even offering a discount for renewal. I would imagine if they added a time limit for coming back with the ticket then someone would work around that as well. parks are crowded enough without freeloaders making it worse. It's sad that it is accepted today that sneaking someone in is ok. The finger scanner at least kept the ticket or even passes linked to the one person that paid for it in the first place. As for someone elses comparison of the pass price of Universal to The annual pass, which as a DVC member costs just over $300.00 a year to Disney and there 4 parks is in no way a comparison.
    You asked about the scanner if I recall, you asked if it was fair, I replied to both. My second comment was a how I thought things could be worked out if Disney decided to do things about it.
    Secondly, I have a premium annual thats up for renewal at a discounted rate of 40.00 WOW a whole 40.00 if I renew before it expires. This does the average passholder no good if he/she lives out of state. If I renew now that 40.00 I saved will cost me 4 months until I go back. And as a premium passholder its 6 parks and DQ not 4.
    Also I think it good that DVC members get a discount. They pay alot for thier investment over 50 years as well as maintenance for their points. No, its not right that people get away with scammimg Disney. Do I think we as paying customers pay for it?? Don't know. Probably not, but you or I can't do nothing about it but report to the CMs watching, but thats they're job anyway. Disney has something in place to discourage it.You asked if it was fair??Well no, its not. But my name is on the pass and I carry a ID with me to verify its mine. Again its Disney's job to enforce it and I'm not going to worry about enough to spoil my fun who got in for free.
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 05-13-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    A simple prevention method for keeping someone from passing the same ticket back to the person behind them for entry: once it has been swiped (bar code read), it can't be used for reentry for at least 15 or 30 minutes. In a case where somebody enters the gates and immediately realizes they left something in the car and exits, I'm sure they'd make an exception, but a time limit before the same ticket can be used again is probably all they need.

I would expect they have some kind of measure in place already that we just aren't aware of yet.
    They already do this with the tickets. When we went down in March, Donnie was running the stroller out to the car since we didnt need it for the evening (my ankles swelled and we rented a wheelchair--other story) anyway...he heads out the gate and comes back about 5 minutes later, becuase he forgot the keys to the car. No problem, but when he came back after actually dropping off the stroller he had to have them overide the turnstile because it flagged his ticket as being used as entry only about 10 minutes before. Nice to know that the feature already exists.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    You asked about the scanner if I recall, you asked if it was fair, I replied to both. My second comment was a how I thought things could be worked out if Disney decided to do things about it.
    Secondly, I have a premium annual thats up for renewal at a discounted rate of 40.00 WOW a whole 40.00 if I renew before it expires. This does the average passholder no good if he/she lives out of state. If I renew now that 40.00 I saved will cost me 4 months until I go back. And as a premium passholder its 6 parks and DQ not 4.
    Also I think it good that DVC members get a discount. They pay alot for thier investment over 50 years as well as maintenance for their points. No, its not right that people get away with scammimg Disney. Do I think we as paying customers pay for it?? Don't know. Probably not, but you or I can't do nothing about it but report to the CMs watching, but thats they're job anyway. Disney has something in place to discourage it.You asked if it was fair??Well no, its not. But my name is on the pass and I carry a ID with me to verify its mine. Again its Disney's job to enforce it and I'm not going to worry about enough to spoil my fun who got in for free.
    Part of Your response about How is a $40.00 discount really a savings for someone out of state. Well, first off, You are already saving on the price of admission every time You enter, so You say, those 6 parks and DQ, plus if You live out of state, as most annual passholders do, You can use that annual pass to get a discount on rooms during Your stay. There are posts on this site alone stating that They saved $100.00 per night at there hotel, so if they stay a week per year, their pass payed is self off. Not to mention saving on tickets to the Chirstmas party, Halloween party, Pirates party, Getting pins that only passholders recieve and if You look in the booklet that comes with the renewal, Many other discounts that not only apply to You, the passholder, but also others in your party. Going back to the original post, There was not a problem with the finger scanners, only people not using them correctly. This way, if You leave for any reason, for any amount of time, You just rescan and nobody has to question your return. That was all my point was about. People trying to abuse any type of system should upset anyone that spends there hard earned money and other can come in for free, but, I Love Disney and Whatever they decide to change to, I will do and just go in and have a fun time.

I agree, using the pass I did save on rooms I booked with the discount from the pass BUT AAA also has a good discount also because I booked bro n law last week for less than the annual pass rate @ PORS. It was 89.00 per nite. And a few places I did a 10 % discount on food at Rain Forest at AK.
    It sad though people do get over and cheat their way in and Disney does catch some of them. As a side note...I've heard it said from Matt Hochberg (?) that renewng annual passes out of state would be better to wait and I agree. I'm going to renew in NOV/DEC when we go back and buy the pass b4 we check in to resort we choose.

It would be cool if the bus had a way of scanning Us while heading to the park and then dropping Us off right up front an letting Us just walk right in. With the bag search, of course. LOL

ta2edgoofy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyspalJim View Post
    I was reading the story from Lou about new turnstiles being installed at the park entrances. I was under the belief that the finger scanners were implimented to keep guests from using there pass and somehow handing it over to another guest so they could use it to also gain entry. While it may seem like not such a big deal, that lose of revenue from the guest getting in for "free" would trickle down to the rest of the Paying customers in the long run.
    Think of it this way. If say 20% of the guests did this act of deceipt, that would mean more of a crowd in the park for the rest of the paying guests, not to mention the park needed extra cast members to handle the extra amount of guests, leading to more of an expense to WDW. which in turn always means an increase in cost to EVERY guest in the cost of everything.
    It may seem harmless, but is it fair?
    first off, just because there are more people in the park, weather disney knows about it or not, would not cost them more. its not as if they call more cast members in as the day goes on, they have a very precise schedule for the time of year, and have enough cast members to handle a surplus if needed.
    second, relying on technology in this sense will always fail, putting all your trust in something that is not closely monitored will result in errors, and even more problems at the gate.
    while an automated system will be great, i think it is far off in terms of practicality

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder
    Electronics are more precise than humans are
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

We entered all 4 parks last year during our 5 trips and the system that is in place now has worked like a charm. I don't see the need to change it. It seems like the Humans are the ones having problems using the technology. Put card in. Place finger down. Take card back, walk through turnstile. Not rocket science.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder
    I know, seriously... Its both aggravating and funny at the same time that the fact that people just don't get what to do.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast