Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss MAJOR Updates Coming to the World? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by BamaJenn So, from a selfish aspect, I'd love to see the original or something like it return, without the obnoxious characters. I guess in time we'll see. ...
    KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    So, from a selfish aspect, I'd love to see the original or something like it return, without the obnoxious characters. I guess in time we'll see.
    IMO, you were doing so well in that post up until that last paragraph, which I think was totally necessary and ruined the whole post for me and offended me a bit.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I'm not quite sure how my opinion could offend you. All opinions are valid and are personal to the person who has them.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Yeah!!! What she said. Who would have thought a kingcrab would be so sensitive?

I want to see classics brought back and definitely a refurb to Journey - Dreamfinder, anyone?
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

Experiment_626 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My real regret with the current version of the Tiki Room is that I never got to see the original. When I was younger, those in charge (the adults) always skipped it, for whatever reason. When I started going back to WDW as an adult in 1997, the original version was gone. So, I suppose that's just one more reason to make a pilgrimage to Disneyland.

I have to say that I love Stitch. However, I think Stitch's Great Escape is just okay (and I did not like Alien Encounter -- inappropriate for the Magic Kingdom, in my opinion). Having seen video of the new version in Tokyo, I think I'd like it more than what we currently have at WDW. Stitch belongs there more than in Tomorrowland -- we could have Stitch as he is at the end of the movie, rather than as a full-on troublemaker.

If I could direct a low-cost change to the Tiki Room now, what I would do is leave the show mostly as-is. I think one of the things at the core of my annoyance with it as it stands is that "The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" song is stopped short, just as it gets going. It is the song that I like most from the original. Therefore, the easiest change would be to add that one song back in its entirety. Then, after they finish that song and go into the next one, then have Iago interrupt the show and pick up the current show from that point. There might be logistical challenges with this idea -- the bit of the song we do hear was re-recorded for the current show. and at least two of the voice actors are no longer with us (Jerry Orbach and Thurl Ravenscroft). I wonder if they could use the original recording without the sound quality being noticeably different from the rest of the show, or if they'd have to resort to recording a new version with recast, sound-alike voices. But still, that's what I think I'd have done, if I were in charge and I couldn't bring back the original show.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the great irony of the current show at WDW is that the main point being made is all about how the original show shouldn't be changed! In addition, making the show about the changes just invites comparisons to the original in a way that simply changing it to a new show altogether would have minimized. The existing version makes a point of reminding us that it has been changed each time we see it, which just invites the comparison.

SSB
    Last edited by Experiment_626; 08-23-2008 at 03:41 PM.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the great irony of the current show at WDW is that the main point being made is all about how the original show shouldn't be changed! In addition, making the show about the changes just invites comparisons to the original in a way that simply changing it to a new show altogether would have minimized. The existing version makes a point of reminding us that it has been changed each time we see it, which just invites the comparison.
    What an excellent point! I've never really thought about it before but you are right.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123