Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Mermaid Lagoon? in the News & Rumors forums; Does anyone know if this rumour is true? Apparently, (so I heard), Disney are thinking of adding a bigger and better Mermaid Lagoon to the Magic Kingdom. It is meant ...
    SparklinDiamond is offline Annual Passholder

Smile Mermaid Lagoon?

Does anyone know if this rumour is true?

Apparently, (so I heard), Disney are thinking of adding a bigger and better Mermaid Lagoon to the Magic Kingdom. It is meant to be based on the Mermaid Lagoon in Tokyo Disneysea. This would be fantastic from what I have seen on youtube!

What are your thoughts on it happening and has anyone heard the latest?

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    The latest rumor going around is that WDW is going to add a Little Mermaid dark ride for MK's 40th anniversary.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Yes, there are the two competing rumors, but the one considered most likely is the dark ride similar to the one going in in California, going where what is left of the old 20k lagoon is.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

SparklinDiamond is offline Annual Passholder
    A little mermaid dark ride would be cool!

Thanks for helping
    MUSTARD! Let's not be silly!
    Nemo's gunna touch the BUTT!IMAAAAAGINAAAATION!
    A silly spook will sit by your side!
    T.T.F.N: Ta Ta For Now!

goofntink is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I can say Little Mremaid is a go even though it has not been officially announced yet.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    now if we can get that Snow White Mine car coaster.....
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

NDM#1 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I thought the 20K lagoon was covered up by Pooh's Playful Spot (a sight which depressed me this past June).
    J.L. http://thedisneydrivenlife.com/

TRUE CONFESSIONS OF A NEUROTIC DISNEY MOM
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ull-story.html

Disney's Beach Club Villas June 2009
    Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 2008
    Members of Disney Vacation Club February 2008

Quote Originally Posted by NDM#1 View Post
    I thought the 20K lagoon was covered up by Pooh's Playful Spot (a sight which depressed me this past June).
    Pooh's Playful Spot covered a portion of the old lagoon. The rest is hidden from view, but I believe it has been filled in anyways so there is no sign of it.

Frankly, looking at that lagoon sitting unused for 10 years was depressing...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

CaptainFiz13 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Winfield, IL (about 35 min west of Chicago)
    Has a Mermaid dark ride ever been oficially announced for WDW yet? If so, I wonder if they are following the design Tony Baxter presented years ago that was shown virtually on the Little Mermaid DVD bonus disc. I thought it looked pretty cool, except I didn't like the way they changed the sequences and ended with Kiss the Girl. If anything, end with Under the Sea and send the audience out with a grin and tapping their fins . . . err, feet. I mean, if you're going to break continuity anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFiz13 View Post
    Has a Mermaid dark ride ever been oficially announced for WDW yet? If so, I wonder if they are following the design Tony Baxter presented years ago that was shown virtually on the Little Mermaid DVD bonus disc. I thought it looked pretty cool, except I didn't like the way they changed the sequences and ended with Kiss the Girl. If anything, end with Under the Sea and send the audience out with a grin and tapping their fins . . . err, feet. I mean, if you're going to break continuity anyway.
    I don't remember it being officially announced, but there was at least a strong rumor that based on the response to the virtual version of the ride, a real version is at least being considered for the grotto/lagoon area...
    Doc

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I don't remember it being officially announced, but there was at least a strong rumor that based on the response to the virtual version of the ride, a real version is at least being considered for the grotto/lagoon area...
    Yeah but if I am not mistaken that is entirely intended for Disney's California Adventure and maybe Hong Kong's Disneyland park. But yes, it was a strong rumor before the talks of bailing out wall street to be on for 2011(the 40th of Magic Kingdom and Disney World globally.) Now, who knows as the only things announced are the new shows for the "What Will You Celebrate?" promotion, American Idol and also the balloon ride in Downtown Disney.
    AllAbouttheMouseketeer #224-Michael K. from Buckeye, Arizona

Stays at Walt Disney World
    July 1995: Shades of Green
    April 2000: All Star Sports (Baseball)
    March 2001: All Star Music (Rock)
    January 2006: All Star Movies (Mighty Ducks)
    May 2006: Saratoga Springs (Congress Park)
    March 2007: Saratoga Springs (Paddock)
    August 2007: Port Orleans: French Quarter
    June 2008: Saratoga Springs (Springs)

August 2009: Saratoga Springs

Stays at Disneyland
    May 2008: Grand Californian
    December 2008: Grand Californian

June 2009: Radison/Disneyland Hotel

Working for the Walt Disney Company
    Jan-Aug '07: MGM(Sunset/Lucasland/Backlot)
    Aug '08-May '09: GCC College Program Rep

May '09: EPCOT

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    The area behind Pooh's Playful Spot (where the lagoon actually was - PPS is technically just sitting where the queue/loading area was) is completely cleared and basically just a huge plot of flat grassy area. Unfortunately it's also relatively well hidden from view from anywhere in the park that touches it (including back in Toontown Fair) so it'd be awfully easy to hide construction equipment back there until something large was being erected that required a crane. There is one of those lovely "construction" walls pretty much all the way around it as well so even if you could peek through the trees, you'd see nothing.

That said however... the last time I went on one of my "behind the scenes" drives down World Drive (May 2008), we were redirected to turn right onto Center Drive and were not allowed to make the left onto Floridian Way (off which is the road back to the former lagoon). So who knows... maybe they have been doing something back there for awhile and that "road block" with the traffic cop was their way of continuing to keep it a secret. That's wishful thinking though because the WDW train comes even closer to that area (it runs directly beneath the bridge over to the lagoon area) and it's still running.

Still - it's a very large empty plot of land and those don't exist for long in a Disney park.
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 01-22-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Still - it's a very large empty plot of land and those don't exist for long in a Disney park.
    Well, the lagoon did...
    Doc

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Well, the lagoon did...
    Yeah but they were "reusing" the lagoon as part of Ariel's little themed area too. They added the waterfall and King Tritan and the fountain etc. So it wasn't truly "unused" at that time... just temporarily rethemed until they were ready to clear it (which I'm sure cost a fortune).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe