Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Spaceship Earth hand and wand removal? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by BethBreakey But mind you I also liked the birthday cake... Ahhhh! It was a neat idea, but I wanted a picture that year in front of the ...
    TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by BethBreakey
    But mind you I also liked the birthday cake...

Ahhhh! It was a neat idea, but I wanted a picture that year in front of the castle, not a birthday cake! I have my pics that year with the Castle labeled -the ugly castle-.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I got engaged in front of that stupid pink monstrosity... the engagement lasted about as long as a Plaza Swan boat ride (thankfully). It clearly was the cake's fault.

(All things happen for a reason though, and I'm SO much better off! See ya, sister!)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Re: the BAH, nice idea, wrong place.
    Re: the Cakestle, ugh.
    Re: Spaceship Earth Wand, every time I see that commercial on TV with all the "hidden 10's" [something's giving 10% off or something] I keep wanting to see it [or at least my memory of it when it was just the tower, under construction ]
    What should they do with the wand? Ebay it, or sink it at castaway cay!

aesalsa is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy
    Now for The wand, it was okay when they had the year 2000, but I absolutely hate the font they chose for "Epcot" and will not be sad to see it go. A good place for it I think is by the entry plaza
    I thought that I was the only that thought that font was ugly --it just doesn't seem "EPCOTy" to me.

Erika
    A Self-proclaimed Disney Freak (And Proud Of It!) :mickey:

nrose101 is offline Lez Do It!
    I really enjoyed the wand and hand for the millennium celebration, but I think they should have taken it down after it was over.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Not 100% on topic here but this seemed like the closest place I found a picture of the Wand after the "2000" had been removed but before the "Epcot" had been added

http://www.beans-around-the-world.com/wdw2001.html

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    By the way I sort of like the font that Epcot is written in. I don't personnally feel the wand takes away from SE but I don't feel too strongly about it one way or the other, I'm not fond of the other changes to the entry Plazza, or the placement of the hat in front of the Chinese theatre , as I wrote somewhere else "I like the hat, now where did you say they were going to move the Chinese Theatre ?"

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    The wand and the hat doesn't bother me. I remember liking the castle as the birthday cake,but that may have been because I was 6. I need to look for a picture of it. I know I haven't seen any pictures of the castle from that trip whenever I look through pictures. Maybe my mom thought it was terrible and didn't take a picture.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I'll have to look and see if my mom took a picture later, but I did a search and found a picture and agree that it was a monstrosity. I wonder how Cinderella felt about that decorating.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Maybe they're taking it down so they can put a giant Stitch climbing up the side of SSE (Stitch's Spaceship Earth, it could happen. . . .)
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I like to see wand and hand removed but seeing how old theis thread is I can say that's not going to happen.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I dont like the wand and hand myself...I think it takes away from what the BIG BALL is...you dont see the actual earth with a wand waving above it...SSE was a engineering marvel of the time--not that I'm not for change but if its not broken dont fix it school of thot here

OH! Just remembered....I have a book about an architect named R. Buckminster Fuller entitiled Pilot for Spaceship Earth who created these awesome geodesic structures in the 60's and 70's that is copywrited 1978. He used the phrase Spaceship Earth to refer to the actual Earth and how it is like a pefect designed spaceship hurtling thru space. Bucky built a really neat structure for the US pavilion for Expo'67-the Canadian's World's Fair which looks like a precursor to the SSE at WDW......

Does anyone know if this is what they based the design of it on?
    Hmmm...if it is based on his design, wonder what he would think of the hand/wand.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I never understud why Spaceship Earth never made it in the art history books. It was the first complete geodesic structure in the world or in the USA. At least that's what I read, but I could be wrong.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    It IS a wonderful structure in itself and the wand was nice for a while but it does take away from the geodesic aspect of it...I think it is too JARMITC but my book predates it by a few years so it doesnt mention it
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    If the question is still what should they do with the wand/ etc if they take it down, I say...sell it on ebay or our site!!!

I'll start the bidding at......
    Do I hear $1.50?
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast