Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Carousel of Progress Rehab in the News & Rumors forums; I would love to see Carousel of Progress update its future scene, making the current future scene the second to last one. I really hope it doesnt go! This ride ...
    disneyloveee is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Carousel of Progress Rehab

I would love to see Carousel of Progress update its future scene, making the current future scene the second to last one. I really hope it doesnt go! This ride is a classic!
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage."
    -Walt Disney

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

I think part of the problem is that Disney is afraid of . . . well us. The Disney Uberfan. In almost 55 years of Disney attractions there is only one thing that became a museum piece, and that is the CoP. If it's changed or bulldozed the fan community will be all over them. However if this attraction vanished from the face of the Earth the vast, vast, vast majority of parkgoers would not care because they don't actually go into the theater. Those that do, my non-park fanatic friends that go with me for example, always tell me that it needs major work in many places. Due to the ways the major fans feel about the attraction I can't blame them for keeping it like a museum piece with all the old tech and outdated final scene. I just wish they wouldn't.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

^^But that's the thing. Disney needs to update the show, and add even more to it besides a new scene... a post show... some new effects... something that will keep the integrity of the attraction as well as plus it enough for it to be visited by many people.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

With the attraction as it exists, they really need to be careful how much further into the future they go beyond the "Christmas in the House of 2000" scene, it seems to me. The first scene is from the turn of the century, the second from the 20's, and the third from the 40's, then the 60-year jump to 2000.
    With just the four scene stages being used now, the only two things they could really do is to stay at 1900 in the beginng and spread the other scenes out more, or move the beginning scene up in time.
    Either, I'm sure, would be an abomination and unacceptable to true fans of the attraction, like myself. So the only other thing they might be able to do is to utilize the load and unload stages for the scenes to start and end on, thus adding more scenes for better chronology. Start and end the same, just open and close the curtain on those two stages.
    Last edited by Dizisit; 09-06-2009 at 06:17 PM.

I think we have to be forgiving to any changes they make in the CoP. We can't sit here and say "change is unacceptable" or "the only thing true fans will accept is." It's at the point right now where the only people who care about the show in it's current state are Disney fans. There were no lines to it over the summer when I was there, and the theaters were only 2/3 full. That's not a good position for any attraction to be in.

What we have now, partly because the show is held so sacrosinct (sp, sorry), is a presentation about progress that is locked in the past. Not a "retro-past" like other parts of Tomorrowland but a laughable projection of what we are lead to assume is the 90's. Literally laughable, in that people laugh at it and joke about how old the man is, how terrible the fashion is, how out of touch the final scene is. Imagineering had done done bangup jobs on Pirates, HM, Hall of Presidents, going way back to when they plussed the Jungle Cruise. I think they need to do a revamping of the show along those lines and not hold anything sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    Either, I'm sure, would be an abomination and unacceptable to true fans of the attraction, like myself. So the only other thing they might be able to do is to utilize the load and unload stages for the scenes to start and end on, thus adding more scenes for better chronology. Start and end the same, just open and close the curtain on those two stages.

What?!?!
    I didn't say 'change' was unacceptable. As a matter of fact, I advocated a HUGE change. (Show timing issues having to be resolved, of course.) But I also advocated keeping the true spirit of Walt's original vision intact as well. After all, He did kinda' start it all. Well... He and a mouse.
    Discounting 'Disney Fans' seems a bit ironic here, as well. There are alot of us, and attendance issues could, possibly, be resolved with that type of change.
    I know Walt was all about change and progress, but he also had a keen eye on the past for a reason... Its relevant.
    I'm just saying EXACTLY what Walt would have..."Plus it, guy's!"

You said that two things were an "abomination and unacceptable" to "true fans" like yourself so the "only other thing they might be able to do is" what you suggest. I'm of the opinion that as soon as we - the Disney faithful - start telling Disney that X is an unacceptable change to any attraction even before a possibility of change has been expressed we have cut imagineering off at the knees.

I'm also not discounting Disney fans but when it comes right down to it we are a small but very active group. Emphasis on small. If they want to spur general attendance they need to listen more to what the greater public says and not put attractions or parts of attractions in amber. I'd have been thrilled if IASW never had characters in it, as would a lot of the attraction's fans. As it stands they made the right move for the general public who could care less that they "changed the intent of the original." I feel the same way about the CoP. Don't listen to us, just go and make whatever changes are needed, be it a whole new show in the same spirit or some small changes.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

I would like to see them put hovercrafts in it.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Again, I said "With the attraction as it exists" "the only two things they could really do is..." And, yes, I think it would be an abomination to destroy its roots. Thats my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
    And we haven't cut WDI off at anything. They pretty much have always gone with their gut and it will flesh out however.
    And ya' know what, there are so many other attractions, that Carousel of Progress is probably regarded by Disney & WDI as a 'True Disney Fan' attraction, anyway. Do you really think the suits are panicking over CoP attendance with everything else that is hot? They know those bits of nostalgia are important too, even if they can make more money off another Stitch attraction. Thats the very reason it has stayed around, wether anyone wants to believe it or not.
    Again, its not about not progressing, its about 'plussing' an original Walt Disney Gem!

And another thing!...
    You mentioned the plussing of PoC, HM, HoP and JC. But, if I'm not mistaken, they have ALL retained their 'original intent' throughout. And that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Haha!
    Just a bit of poignancy here...
    My DS just asked me if I won the argument that I was having with the guy on the Disney site. I told him that I wasn't tryin' to 'win' anything, but that 'the guy' has his opinion and I have mine.
    Then I thought and said to him... "Actually, we both won. I got to express my opinion and he got to express his...!"
    Anybody got a tissue?

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

WDWFIGMENT Love the pics...can't wait till October for our trip!
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 09-07-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: .
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    Haha!
    Just a bit of poignancy here...
    My DS just asked me if I won the argument that I was having with the guy on the Disney site. I told him that I wasn't tryin' to 'win' anything, but that 'the guy' has his opinion and I have mine.
    Then I thought and said to him... "Actually, we both won. I got to express my opinion and he got to express his...!"
    Anybody got a tissue?
    That's pretty much why I love these boards. I can be very opinionated but, in the end, it's just an opinion. We each clarify our points and move on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12