Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Reaction to Are you 23, D23 club? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by clion Having said that, I don't think I'm forking over $850 for a pen Wait a minute! I can buy a pen for $850 if I join? ...
    elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Reaction to Are you 23, D23 club?

Quote Originally Posted by clion View Post
    Having said that, I don't think I'm forking over $850 for a pen

Wait a minute! I can buy a pen for $850 if I join? I take back everything I said about it being a rip-off! I'm joining now!!!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    Wait a minute! I can buy a pen for $850 if I join? I take back everything I said about it being a rip-off! I'm joining now!!!
    No, Disney is perfectly willing to sell anyone a pen for $850. It is just featured on the D23 site. Only the D23 specific merchandise requires membership.

Disney is taking a LOT of heat because people think that the pen is part of the D23 merch, but its not.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Goofysgal is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm glad that I read up on the message boards and AllEars b/c that's how I found out about what Disney 23 is. I'm still waiting for my "be the first to know" email from Disney *sigh*

I'm going to buy the magazine and as much as I really, really want to join, I just can't justify it. Not now.
    Valerie

Past Visits: '72, '85, '91 - offsite; May 03 - VWL; Nov 04 - BCV (new DVC members); May 05 - VWL; March 06 (VWL); Nov 06 (VWL); April 07 (BCV); March 08 (SSR); Jan 09 (VWL); April 09 (AKV); April '10 (AKV/BCV)

Next Trip: April '12 (Kidani Village) for Easter!

highlander357 is offline A-Ticket holder

Some seem to have a problem regarding the alleged $850.00 pen. Am I the only one who has a problem with a quarterly magazine for $64.00? $16.00 for each issue?

JM

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

Quote Originally Posted by highlander357 View Post
    Some seem to have a problem regarding the alleged $850.00 pen. Am I the only one who has a problem with a quarterly magazine for $64.00? $16.00 for each issue?

JM
    As someone that reads a magazine that is $9.95 each and a yearly subscription for 8 issues with organization membership is $99... not really. The magazine is very high quality and is more like a book than magazine.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

JM
    Read my posts and you'll see I agree with you.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

4 magazines and a "chance" to buy expensive collectibles for $75 a year? I thought there was a recession going on. I guess people have more disposable income than I imagined. That doesn't seem like a good deal to me.
    Disney seems to have a tight hold on all of us or we wouldn't all be here.
    It does seem that we all have different lines in the sand that we draw.
    This is wonderful marketing by Disney during a recession. Think of all the fans out there willing to fork over whatever the asking prices is. Pins are a draw. Brilliant really.

PS: I drew my line.

Sometimes your comments make me want to stomp your big toe (kidding) you brought me to tears of laughter with this one accurate or not.

JM
    I'm camping at your site.

I can't imagine giving anyone $16.00 for a magazine, Disney or not. I am fortunate we have a very good library share program. I'll settle for reading it and not having to find a place to store it, 'cause at $16.00 I would never pitch it. Someday I'm moving into that condo/town house near WDW and our people have too much stuff, namely me.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 03-13-2009 at 12:12 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

JM
    Considering it's a publication supported with zero advertising revenue, no it's not too much.

I also know of the organization Stitch is referring too. To get a subscription to a 9.95/ea magazine you must pay $99 to join their organization. The organization has thousands of members worldwide (NAPP)

I'm sure if they wanted to get the price down they could change the dimension of the magazine to 8.5x11 and use lower quality paper. But, that's not what they wanted to do. I'm willing to bet the fact they are using a non-standard dimension drives up the cost. We won't know until they are delivered what method is used, but I know from Celebrations Magazine that if you use First Class for the fastest delivery by the USPS it greatly drives up cost as well.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

I noticed on the D23 website yesterday that they are working out the details how members will be able to see a sneak preview of the upcoming Pixar movie "Up". I didn't know about this when I signed up, but hopefully there will be more little surprises along the way.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mary jo View Post
    I noticed on the D23 website yesterday that they are working out the details how members will be able to see a sneak preview of the upcoming Pixar movie "Up". I didn't know about this when I signed up, but hopefully there will be more little surprises along the way.
    Me too! That is one reason why I didn't hesitate to join, more little surprises! A sneak preview of "up" would be really cool!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

The preview of UP has my attention too! I really hope they can work it out so it's not just on the West coast.

I remember back when HOND came out they were selling tickets at the Disney Store to a early screening of the movie and you got a litho with it. I really hope they go back to doing more stuff like that. What a treat for fans, especially those with blogs and websites, to see movies early so we can review them for our readers.

Eric is offline A-Ticket holder

I would encourage everyone to check out show # 190 of Mouse Guest Weekly to be released Sunday, March 15th. On the show we will talk with Disney Legend Dave Smith, Archives Manager Becky Cline and Head of D23 Steven Clark. I think many concerns and questions Disney fans have will be answered in the interview.

MOUSEGUEST.COM: Mouse Guest Weekly
    Eric,
    co-host, Mouse Guest Weekly podcast
    MouseGuest.com

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by envypeterpan View Post
    I joined up. I figure if nothing else it's like being a part of Disney history, plus I think it's going to be pretty cool. I am already enjoying the website with their fun facts and up to minute updates.
    I agree. Some people do seem to be dismissing judgement on D23 a little too prematurely.

Just like a newborn baby, the D23 site is still young, so it's going to take some time to develop, evolve, get better, add more content, etc. Things just can't happen overnight.
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    I would join but I have a bad feeling that I would end up reading exclusive stories about Hannah Montana and High School Musical. If they establish a club for all things Disney Parks, then I'm in.
    HSM and HM do not deserve to be bashed!
    "Boy, I'm tired. I think I'll head over to The Hall of Presidents and take a nap."

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I would encourage everyone to check out show # 190 of Mouse Guest Weekly to be released Sunday, March 15th. On the show we will talk with Disney Legend Dave Smith, Archives Manager Becky Cline and Head of D23 Steven Clark. I think many concerns and questions Disney fans have will be answered in the interview.

MOUSEGUEST.COM: Mouse Guest Weekly
    Eric,

Congrats on the score of getting Dave Smith, Becky Cline, and Steven Clark to come onto your podcast.

I'll definitely download and listen to this show. I'm sure you guys got some great info for us
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast