Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Vmk in the News & Rumors forums; Maybe there's another thread but WHY is vmk closed? I have never used it but I re-read Kingdom Keepers recently and I reallyyy wanted to go on it. Does anyone ...
    lilmermaidgrl13 is offline A-Ticket holder

Unhappy Vmk

Maybe there's another thread but WHY is vmk closed? I have never used it but I re-read Kingdom Keepers recently and I reallyyy wanted to go on it. Does anyone know why it closed and/ or if it's ever coming back?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Vmk

I never played on VMK, but my wife and kids did. They were very sorry to see it go. Despite rumors, I don't think it will come back as Disney has concentrated on their other pay websites. To be fair, when Disney introduced VMK, they said it would not be a permanent site. Still, I know my family would gladly pay to join it.

Joel&Bee is offline B-Ticket Holder

ah VMK. It is missed by many.

Joel playing bass with The Tropicals in Animal Kingdom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf8R7zVt1M

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I, too, doubt it will ever come back. It probably got bigger than was expected, and I would assume that it got costly to keep going; IT people to build and maintain it as well as people who would monitor. It also seemed to change a lot toward the end. Back-biting among the users when visitors accused others of stealing their ideas when building ride competitions. There seemed, to me at least, that the number of characters who were trying to find a "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" was on the increase. The increase in the number of times that the game crashed caused me to decrease my visits.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Luna.Bulldog is offline A-Ticket holder

The "official" word from Disney when they closed it was that they launched VMK as a celebration for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, and they never intended it to stay open as long as it did. I was still surprised to see them decide to close it - everytime I logged on there were upwards of 5,000 people logged in!

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

Wow amazing that there were 5,000 people in VMK. I agree wtih the earlier comments - it probably became a major job (and expense) to keep it running, monitor the activity, etc.
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

Jennings is offline B-Ticket Holder

Wow, it's almost been a year since it's been closed!

I played VMK the first week it opened, got bored and didn't play for about 5 months. Then I gave it a second try and found it to be a lot more fun the second time around. I grew great friendships on VMK, and for the most part I still keep in touch with many of them.

Anyway, I doubt it's coming back, they did state that it would not be here forever. It began to become clear that it wouldn't last too much longer when both VMK Centrals closed in DLR and WDW. Unfortanetly, I too, would just like to log in one more time.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

But do you really think that they would have made all of that new stuff just for it to close? I don't think so. I think one of design companies, etc. pulled out on disney. It looked wayyy to much like they had stuff planned for a LONG time rather than releasing all that new stuff then ending it.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Jennings is offline B-Ticket Holder

I highly doubt that the design company (Sulake, right?) pulled out, because many rumors and speculation came out that Sulake had created VFK. That's how many think VFK was created so fast, they knew about it before hand.

Honestly, all the new stuff that came out seemed like a bunch of unreleased stuff from the back of the staff's inventory. Remember, most of the stuff released was a bit random, not staying with a certain theme...

They had trouble keeping all the pink monkey's with their pink beverages holding little pink umbrella's inside the pink limo's under control. They had no choice but to shut down.

Oh sorry...you said "VMK"...not LMK!

WSauerbier is offline A-Ticket holder

Besides all the reasons mentioned, it had to close down to be a secret meeting space for W.A.Y.N.E and the DHI's in Kingdom Keepers 2.....LoL.....j/k

I did play in it a few times, but at that time my comp was so slow it never really ran the games well..... I do wish they would come up with something of the VMK sort either for online or for the Ps3/XBox/Wii like Universal did for the Gamecube
    The Cram Zone Guide to Walt Disney World 2010, now out on Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and booksamillion.com

StormyBlues is offline A-Ticket holder

I really liked VMK, it was quite a good fix for my disney crazed self who lives way far away, and hasn't been in a couple years, it saddens me greatly
    Why live on the edge when you can jump off? - Greenwood Horse Trials shirt
    I find it ironic that in Splash Mountian they sing "What comes up is sure to come down"

voyageofariel is offline Host of the Tiara Talk Show Podcast

Smile Re: Vmk

(Insert comment here).
    Last edited by voyageofariel; 07-05-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    Party on Deck 7 with the Cool Kids!!

"We're so glad to see you all, shake the rafters fill the hall! Hoop dee doin' it with all our might! Hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it, hoop dee doin it tonight. Ya Hoo!"- Hoop Dee Doo Revue!

Check out the Tiara Talk Podcast on iTunes! Official website: http://www.tiaratalkshowpodcast.com