Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) Rumors Discuss Mission: SPACE?!?! in the News & Rumors forums; My dad told me tonight that people have died while on Mission: SPACE because of heart problems. I don't want to believe this because I haven't seen any articles or ...
    Lover_of_Disney is offline A-Ticket holder

Mission: SPACE?!?!

My dad told me tonight that people have died while on Mission: SPACE because of heart problems.

I don't want to believe this because I haven't seen any articles or anything about this, but it is true?
    A dream is *WISH* your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Going to Disney this June of '10!

`~`A true Disney princes!`~`

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Mission: SPACE?!?!

Unfortunately, that is true. Disney has been sued several times, and sued the private designer of the centrifuge system for Mission Space.
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

squishybear is offline B-Ticket Holder

yeah it's true.
    That's why they now have the Green and Orange missions, so people can still ride while not having to go in the Centrifuge.

The thing to remember though is that the people that died had heart problems that they didn't know about. it wasn't like a cable broke and they died. Disney puts out these warnings on every ride, and these people could have died on other rides as well.

So, i personally still enjoy the ride very much. I know that the changes of me dying on them are still very small

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Yes, people have died on Mission: SPACE.

I have heart problems myself, and actually rode the attraction before it was officially open to the public during the Passholder Preview. I'll never do it again. I got off white as a sheet. At the time I rode the attraction, I didn't know I had a heart problem.

Now that they have the green side though, I'll ride that side. I'll never go on the orange side again though.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I don't know specifically about the lawsuits, especially Disney suing the manufacturer. I don't recall any faults being found.

AFAIK, only two people have died, and they didn't die on the attraction itself but shortly afterwards. Both had pre-existing conditions - there was a young boy who had a heart condition that was not known at the time, and a middle aged woman who had high blood pressure and suffered a stroke.

A large number of people have gotten ill, however, mostly due to motion sickness because of the centrifuge nature of the attraction (which is fairly unique at WDW and therefore may not have known they were susceptible) or from the G forces that they may not have experienced before.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

There was also a young boy that died on RnR. In all these cases, it was a previously undiagnosed pre-existing medical condition and not something due to negligence on the part of WDW.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    A large number of people have gotten ill, however, mostly due to motion sickness because of the centrifuge nature of the attraction (which is fairly unique at WDW and therefore may not have known they were susceptible) or from the G forces that they may not have experienced before.
    I am one of those folks who got ill. Although it is my own fault - I get motion sick in the car so should have known better! But I had to try it once.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    There was also a young boy that died on RnR. In all these cases, it was a previously undiagnosed pre-existing medical condition and not something due to negligence on the part of WDW.
    It isn't exclusive to WDW - every so often our Six Flaggs has an accident that is very serious. I imagine every major park has had something happen in the past year or two. Accidents will happen, but you can't let that keep you from trying things.
    Zima-Cheryl

trkj2001 is offline A-Ticket holder

The young boy died in late May or early June 2005 just a couple of weeks after my wife were down at WDW.

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

.people have went on this ride and other rides read the posting about not going on. if you have any health problems do not go on this or any qild ride. some people do not pay attrntion. all parks have this same problem.
    J&J

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by J&J View Post
    .people have went on this ride and other rides read the posting about not going on. if you have any health problems do not go on this or any qild ride. some people do not pay attrntion. all parks have this same problem.
    They take it to the extreme at M:S after the incidents. Everyone is asked which side you wish to ride, and you are given a card that explains everything. I'm guessing they figure if it is in you hand and you are waiting to ride, you'll read it. I've never seen that anywhere else.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

i am a green side kind of guy
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

Yes, people have died on Mission Space. Here is an entry from the Orlando Sentinel:

Orlando Sentinel - Disney settles lawsuits over development of Mission:Space on Tourism Central Florida
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder

I rode Mission Space in 2005...should have paid attention to the warning signs (I am prone to motion sickness). To be honest, I actually enjoyed it, but I did feel funny for the rest of the day...headachey. My grandkids (9 and 5) loved it!
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

Blackjack Joe is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm fortunate in that I have almost no motion sickness. During Mouse Fest, I had the buffet dinner at Boma then went to Epcot for extra magic hours and rode Mission Space Orange Team (Spinny Side) and it didn't bother me at all. Both sides are good, but Orange is the ultimate.
    Joe.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

I think a man who was in Mid 30s died on Everest sometime last year I think. He never knew he had a heart condition. He actually died at the end of the ride if I remember the article.
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West